Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

How Far Do You Walk A Day?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by stevelm1, Jun 6, 2015.

?

How far do you plan to walk a day (or did walk a day)?

1. 10 or less miles a day (16 km)

4.5%
  2. 15 or less miles a day (24 km)

65.9%
  3. 20 or less miles a day (32 km)

20.5%
  4. More than 20 miles a day

9.1%
  1. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

Hey Hindsfeet - I developed bad blisters last year, but it wasn't necessarily due to the downhill sections. Yes, all those things you mentioned above can help you if you were to develop blisters. Luckily for me, as large as my blisters were, they never got infected. I was able to keep on walking although some days, my feet really hurt. The one thing that I didn't find helpful was Compeed. Others may swear by it, but not me. I think that I could have contained my blisters better had I opened them and used paper pharmaceutical tape right when they started. My Camino taught me a great deal about foot care just as I'm sure yours will. If you do need any assistance while in Spain, I found the people in the pharmacies to be very knowledgeable and helpful. I joked with my Camino buddies that I believe that I was the winner of last year's Big Blister Contest. That's an award I don't want to receive a second time. Ultreia!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    Get boots that are at least a size too large. Train, train, train in your boots, socks and pack and you will avoid most blisters (at least I did). That will help you to keep your toenails and make going down hill much more comfortable. I did not walk in sandals so I am no help there.

3. Orava

Orava Active Member

Blisters - I have been blister free on 2 caminos (so blister free 1200 km). Plenty of blisters in pre camino training though - So I suppose my lesson would be to get them during training sessions and take a pair of battle weary callused feet on camino. I have also shortened my stride compared to pre camino days...seems to help also.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Member

Great info, thanks so much. I was wondering if I should just get my feet tough with calluses before the walk. I will experiment. Gee, there goes my foot modeling career! Ha..........

Wily likes this.
  5. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    I know a woman who built up her foot calluses on the Camino and when she got home she had a pedicure and had them removed. Her next hike she got blisters. Calluses are not cute, but they do serve a function. Good luck with your experiments and Camino.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Member

Hi Stevelm1, Yes....you are right. I just got a pedicure and removed the present calluses. But from here on out I am going to accept my calluses as hiking equipment and safety protection. And save money at the salon! Ha!!

UnkleHammy and stevelm1 like this.
  7. Newforest john

Newforest john New Member

When walking the south west coastal path, I usually walk for somewhere around 15 miles per day. I'm sure many walk for loner on the camino however the swcp is a tough roller coaster of a hike and after 15 miles I'm ready for my tent. I'm not sure how far I'm going to walk each day on the camino but I will aim for 15 miles and see how I feel. My body will tell me what I can do and I've learnt to listen...

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Wily

Hey John - A 15 mile/24 km day on the Camino Francés is pretty typical. That puts you on pace to making it to Santiago in about the 34 days as Brierley suggests. Although I had a few shorter 20 km days last year, that was offset by a few longer 30+ days as well. Of course, some days are tougher or easier than others due to the terrain. In fact, the seventy-five kilometers from SJPP to Pamplona are tiring enough that I woukd recommend a rest day at this point. But, in general, a 15 mile/day plan is very reasonable. One of the nice things about the infrastructure of the CF is that if you want to pull up a bit short of your destination or walk on further, there are on most stages towns/albergues every few kilometers making it relatively easy to add or subtract kilometers from your walk on any given day. Buen Camino!

9. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Member

In 2015, I walked the CF. The shortest day was 12km to Volcarlos and the longest day was 34.7 to Carrion de Los Condes. It took me 35 days with 1 rest day in Astorga. I was a slow walker with everyone passing me but quite often met up again at the albergue in the evening. I had many blisters mostly in the toe area. I pricked them everyday because if I did not they would hurt too much to continue. Like Wily, I experienced compeed to be overrated but some people made good use of them. I ended up throwing my expensive orthotics in the garbage and bought thinner insoles and then about 3weeks in (a Korean lady mentioned this idea) to put in a ladies pad under every foot which gave me extra protection plus I did taping every morning. Your body will tell you when it is enough for the day. Going downhill did take a toll on my feet as I lost toenails. Even today when I walk I feel like my nail is going to fall off but the next day when I stop walking they start to get better. For me these hardships were part of my journey and the camino is pulling me back for another trek. Buen camino everyone.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    UnkleHammy, hindsfeet, danvo and 2 others like this.
  10. David Fletcher

David Fletcher Member

I did the Camino as part of my turning 60. I was moderately prepared, but hills confounded me (especially leaving SJPP, where I was ever-so-glad to stay at Orisson). Most days I walked 20-25 km, starting around 07:00 and stopping between 13:00 and 14:00, which would give me some time for siesta and visiting the town or village. I bussed into Burgos and Leon, simply to avoid the industrial hinterland, but still managed to put 15 km on my pedometer by walking around the cities. I had planned on 40 days, finished in 37 (Santiago, not Fisterre). My feet were fine (a couple of hot-spots and bruised toes that didn't blister during the first week). I used a Jaco-trans (pack service) a few times when I just wanted to walk.

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  11. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Member

That is great David, walking the Camino at a milestone in your life! It sounds like you listened to your
    body and walked accordingly. Would you do it again? And would you change anything, about your
    training or walk? I am excited about my own future experience on the Camino, and I am sure some unknown
    surprises on the way, which I will embrace. But I also want to be wise and glean what I can from fellow
    pilgrims! Thanks.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  12. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - Let me just reinforce a couple good points David makes above. His daily schedule of roughly starting around 7:00 and finishing between 13:00-14:00 worked for me as well. Six to seven hours of walking is plenty of time to cover 20-25 km and do so at a reasonable pace with breaks. If possible, don't push your daily distance much past that. Finishing by early afternoon gives you a few extra hours of recovery time. Clean up, grab lunch, visit the town/village, or journal after a solid and rewarding walk that day. I found it important to enjoy my non-walking time so as to put the entire Camino in perspective. Plus, as your Camino family evolves, you'll enjoy spending downtime with the friends you've made along the Way.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  13. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Member

Yes! Makes sense.......CAN'T WAIT!!
    Thank you...

Crepes4Suzette likes this.