1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Days Did You Take To Walk The Camino Frances?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by stevelm1, Jun 11, 2015.

?

How Many Days Did you Take (or are you planning on) to Walk the Camino Frances?

1. 4 weeks/28 days or less

30.4%
  2. 5 weeks/35 days or less (but more than 28 days)

39.1%
  3. 6 weeks/ 42 days or less (but more than 35 days)

17.4%
  4. 7 weeks/49 days or less (but more than 42 days)

4.3%
  5. More than 7 weeks/50 + days

8.7%
  1. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    I do like posting polls. From the reading I have done it seems most folks finish the Camino Frances in 5 weeks or about 35 days (from St Jean to Santiago). I am posing a poll to do a reality check here to see if that is true for the folks on this forum. I plan to take 8 weeks or so, but I am retired and not in a hurry to get anything done these days.

Leslie likes this.
  2. Orava

Orava Active Member

I just finished the Frances and I took 27 days SJPdP to Fistera (walking days). Stayed in Leon and SdC for 2 nights. Average 30km per day and longest 42km. If I did it again I'd plan for a longer trip to bring down the average km per day to around 25km which would be more leisurely. I had to meet a friend in Leon at a specific date and had limited time so had quite a hectic schedule. 30km per day on the Meseta is ok but a challenge in the hilly first and last third of the whole route.

3. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Steve
    I took 33 days from SJPP to Santiago. On reflection I should have taken more time, reduced my walking to 20Km (ish) a day and had some days off for sight seeing. This your camino and taking 8 weeks will only enhance your camino experience and I wish you all the very best. FYI a number of pilgrims return to walk the Camino France at a more leisurely pace taking 7/8 weeks

Carpe Diem & Buen Camino

Raymond John

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I also took 35 days from days St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Finisterra – But because of work commitments I had to split the walk into two stages, Stage One, St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Fromista and Stage Two, Fromista to Finisterra.

My original plan was only to walk to Santiago de Compostela, but because I managed to walk a little faster than I expected, I had sufficient time to continue on to Finisterra and to be honest, it was the Best move I made as apart from being a Beautiful end to my Camino, after the crowded trails of the last 100k of The Camion Frances, The practically deserted trails and Refugio’s on the Finisterra were a delight :)

Buen Camino

Rob

Suzanne Tessier and raymond john like this.
  5. raymond john

Rob
    I'm planning to walk the final stage of the CF from Santiago - Finisterra - Muxia - Santiago in September, allowing 2 weeks with 2/3 in Santiago. Do you have any advice that would be helpful in my planning. How may days did it take you and where to stay in Santiago on the way and in Finisterra.

Buen Camino

Raymond John

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Raymond John :)

When I walked the Finisterre there were only two Refugio’s between Santiago de Compostela and Finisterre, one at Negreira and one at Olveiroa + The one at Finisterre, (Details on http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/3e180/3/#memberreviews=page2 ) so this made for 3 very long days walking, but I believe there are now better accommodation options available and splitting the route into 4 (Or even more) days would make the walk out to Finisterre.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to Muxia, I do remember seeing a right turn signed off the main route and I believe you usually first to Muxia and then from there onto Finisterre, but I don’t have the details of the route – I used the little CSJ guidebook http://www.csj.org.uk/product/finisterre/ and found that adequate

I aren’t sure if you plan is just to walk Santiago de Compostela – Muxia – Finisterre – If that is the case then I can’t see it taking you more than 5 days, and if you then wanted to walk back to Santiago de Compostela. Another 4, so it looks like you have Lots of time.

Last year I discovered Pension Girasol in Santiago de Compostela and have no hesitation in recommending this – I review dot on Trip Advisor at http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g187508-d1196524-r219487622

Sorry I can’t be of more help

Best Regards

Rob

raymond john likes this.
  7. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    Raymond, thanks for the feedback. From the numbers above it would seem I am going to be alone at my pace, but from your statement I think there will be at least several of us snail's moving down the path at a more leisurely pace.

raymond john likes this.
  8. raymond john

Rob

Thanks for the info, every little helps.

Buen Camino Raymond John.

9. raymond john

Steve
    I can assure you that you will never be walking alone , except by choice. You will find the companionship, camaraderie and experience on the camino exemplar.

Buen Camino

Raymond John

stevelm1 likes this.
  10. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

I really appreciate all the input on this subject - as i, like many of you, plan to listen to my body as well, i've afforded myself a lot of time - my concern is obviously, how much can i handle day after day - but I was wondering if i don't follow the schedule are there albergues all along the trail - or must i complete the suggested distance because that is the lodging destination? Thanks all!

JFK likes this.
  11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Suzanne

Most sections of The Camino Frances now have a huge choice of accommodation, therefore giving you multiple choices of how far you walk each day – However the “Problem” is that often the main Refugio’s fill up quite early in the day, and the nearer you get to Santiago de Compostela, the bigger this problem gets with Peregrino’s often getting up pre-dawn and scooting off as quickly as possible to claim their beds in their next chosen Refugio – This is something that I have never involved myself in as I prefer to walk in my own time and at my own pace, but the “Price” of this is, that when I arrive at my chosen destination for the day, if the Refugio is full, then I often have to pay considerably more money in a hotel or private Refugio – This isn’t usually a problem for me as my budget isn’t normally exceptionally tight, but if you are walking on a very tight budget, it is something that you should bear in mind.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

12. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Thank you for your input- good to know... I really don't want to get drawn into a race- just to get a bed (I guess there is no perfect )
    I'm wondering if I walk less or more than the suggested km - am I more likely to find lodging in an albergue? So if I stagger my walking schedule against the flow- will that make a difference. Also that I'm walking in September- and was thinking less young fit students??

Thanks again!

13. raymond john

Hi Suzanne.
    On the question on the availability of accommodation, it will depend on the time of year your walking the camino. I walked the Camino last year from 21st September 25th October and I had no problems getting a Albergue's / Refugio's.

Buen Camino
    Raymond John

Suzanne Tessier and RJS like this.
  14. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Suzanne

Encouraging info posted above by Raymond John – As you are setting off in September, by the time you get to the busier section of the Camino approaching Santiago de Compostela, you will be into October and things will be really quietening down.

I joined the Camino Frances in Arzua in early June last year and there was already a long queue outside the Refugio there in the early afternoon, so we elected to keep walking and found accommodation in a private Albergue at Salceda which was perfect, but within ½ hour of us arriving it was full, so we were lucky

The Camino Frances is the most popular Camino by a long way with Approx 70% of all Peregrino’s choosing it and September is the 3rd busiest month (According to the most recent stats at http://caminoways.com/media/compostela-certificates-camino-de-santiago-caminoways.png )

But overall, I think you will be OK and won’t have issues finding accommodation, but you will soon suss it out and it sounds like, if necessary, you will be able to adapt your daily walking schedule to take into account any anomalies

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

15. JFK

JFK Member

My wife and I are late 40s and in fairly good shape. We took 39 days...36 days of walking and three days of rest. We enjoyed the 25 Km days the best. 30+ Km were too much, 20 KM days were too little. In hindsight, 35 days of walking and two days of rest would have ben perfect. If you have the time, take it a little slower and enjoy the Camino. If it takes you an extra day or two, who cares, you will have that much richer of an experience.

The most important lesson I learned on the Camino though is that "Everyone has their own Camino."

Buen Camino.

16. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    @Suzanne Tessier in answer to your question about walking more or less each day. I think this works very well. Most guidebooks, mine included, are written in sections and too many will stick to those sections.

Both times I walked on the Frances I stayed in smaller villages a lot of the time, and this made for some great finds in the places I stayed. Also for me it was more peaceful in the evenings.

Suzanne Tessier likes this.
  17. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

that's good to hear. i'll be walking Sept 5- Oct15, so hopefully i'll be ok with finding lodging... I am of the mind to get a hotel about every 4th or 5th day just to get really well rested.

18. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Thank you so much!

19. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Fantastic, thank you for that affirming thought.

20. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@Suzanne Tessier - september is for camino better month than july/august. But if you want even more quiet camino, select other than typical stops (for example not Pamplona, but Cizur menor, etc.). For me there were days when I didn't seen people few hours!! (it was june/july!) You can find accomodations/albergues in your guide, or with app in your mobile (on android Camino pilgrim app)

Suzanne Tessier likes this.