1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Did You Spend Per Day On The Camino?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Jun 20, 2015.

?

How Much did You Spend Per Day

1. Less than €20

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Less than €30

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. Less than €40

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  4. Less than 50

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  5. More than €50

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Before our camino (October, 2015), I read somewhere that the cost for a couple is around 70 euros per day - to cover cost of albergue, trail snacks, meals, adult beverages and entrance fees to cathedrals. I kept a daily log of all our expenses. Excluding the three nights we stayed in paradors and transportation costs to/from the camino, our 35 days cost us 69.66 euros per day! For our evening meals, we always ate at restaurants. This also covered the daily transport of my wife's backpack the last three weeks of the trip due to knee / ankle swelling (JakoTrans ~ 5 euros / day).

2. John Blackpool

John Blackpool New Member

Well, dinner about 10
    Breakfast about 5
    Lunch, say, 7
    Beers, wines and coffees 15
    a room for the night 25

John

3. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    John, your estimates are OK except for the beverage costs. :eek: You should cut down on your drinking!

4. John Blackpool

John Blackpool New Member

Several bottles of agua 3
    tres cortados 3
    dos canas 3
    dos copas de tino 6 ( rioja )
    te 2

ergo !

5. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

John
    Welcome to the Camino. Assuming you are planning to stay in Albergues you could reduce yours room for the night by 50%. Expect to pay between 6- 12 euros and you may find the price includes breakfast, or is by donation only. Remember the Pilgrims menu also includes wine .

Buen camino

Raymond John

Anja, UnkleHammy and danvo like this.
  6. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

As Raymond John said, the Albergues are a much lower cost. Last year I stayed mostly in Municipal and Parrochial Albergues, and a few low cost private Albergues. The average cost was 8 euros per night.

7. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Thinking about careful budgeting, I just found out something which if common knowledge, I apologise. To minimise bank and exchange fees, when getting cash from ATM s, it is possible to get a prepaid euros card from Thomas Cooke. Free to load it with euros, and costs £2 each withdrawal. They guarantee to get money to you if the card is lost/stolen, and it is not linked to your bank account. You can load more money online, or by phone.
    Seems to me a safer and cheaper way than the credit card, and more secure.

raymond john likes this.
  8. raymond john

Armorel
    Thanks for the information regarding withdrawing cash from the ATM with prepayment cards. I thought about it but in the end I decided to use my debit card and got an excellent exchange rate, I found that was getting the a better rate than the tourist rates being quoted. I can't remember how much it cost the withdraw cash which was a fixed charge per ATM transaction. I only used my debit card twice to withdraw cash. I also used used my credit card which I was charged 1.25% . again with an excellent exchange rate when compared with the tourist rates being quoted.

In the end its a matter of choice and what you are most comfortable with regarding managing your finances.

Thank you again , looking forward to meeting you in Rabanal.

Raymond John

9. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

I toitally agree Raymond John, that it is a matter of choice - this was just new information for me! And my credit card charges a lot if I use it to withdraw cash especially abroad. So, being on a tight budget I am constantly on the lookout for better options.
    Yes, I look forward to meeting you in Rabanal. I am getting very excited and more than usually obsessed about this pilgrimage. Less that 18 weeks to go now!!
    Armorel

Woodchild likes this.
  10. fraluchi

Home Page:
    ... which makes me remind, that since Refugio Guacelmo accommodates on a "donativo" basis and provides afternoon tea plus a nice breakfast in the morning, you should not deposit less than 9 Euros if you are not stingy.:p:D

11. raymond john

fraluchi

I can't possibly comment on your suggested donation. However, the CSJ position is only ask to donate what you can .

Thank you and looking forward to meeting in Rabanal.

Raymond John

12. fraluchi

Home Page:
    Marion knows about my grumbles about this subject in the past. Over the years I see less "pilgrims" as opposed to profiteers,:( and I believe that a reasonable contribution should be what I suggest. :eek: The hospitalero(a)s are quite qualified to identify a bona fide pilgrim when at the end of some days donations do not meet the albergue's expenses.:eek:Thus it's up to the CSJ and struggle with fund raising activities to make ends meet. :rolleyes: Also efforts of all those volunteers (hospitaleros and "maintenance teams") must, in my personal opinion, be reflected in a down-to-earth (and not "what you can") contribution from whoever avails of the superb facilities of Refugio Guacelmo.:D A hospitalero(a) should still be able to close an eye in cases of such bona fide pilgrims and remain in the spirit of true HOSPITALITY.:) However, financial reality will eventually have to modify the approach as to how to balance accounts of a superb and well-managed hospitality unit.;) IMHO:D

13. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Just back from the Camino Frances. On the average, I spent about 35€ a day. I did stay in albergues for my 31 day trip with prices ranging from 5-17€ a night. The typical cost was closer to 10€ a night. I primarily stayed in private albergues so I might have spent just a bit more than people choosing the municipals every night. Most pilgrim dinners were also around 10€. Many nights I did take the pilgrim's dinner except when I wasn't that hungry and settled for a sandwich or something light which meant spending less. Lunches, snacks and drinks were approximately another 10€ a day on the average. Overall, the Camino is very inexpensive. No need to budget money for souvenirs because you won't be interested in carrying anything extra.

14. YorkieUltraRunner

YorkieUltraRunner Ultra Runner

I was not counting every day, but I think that I averaged around 43 Euro's a day and stayed in some Private Albergues and Pensions and AirBnB and had to fuel more because I was running.

For me, it was not about cost, but doing what needed to be done each day to stay well :)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  15. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

Walking from SJPDP to Santiago and then on to Finisterre and Muxia in May and June 2016 my costs averaged out at around 11 euros a day for accommodation and another 28 euros for food and drink. I'm sure if you are on a tight budget it can be done for around 30 euros a day all in, but that won't allow any extra for all those little extras - tapas, another vino tinto or cerveza. I also spent around 4 euros a day on sundries (airport taxi, souvenirs and gifts, postage, laundry, and donations/entry fees to churches and other places of interest). I lived well enough, saw the sights, and fed and watered myself more than adequately.

YorkieUltraRunner likes this.
  16. Joe Hughes

Joe Hughes New Member

Thanks Pete! My brother (76) and I (70) are planning to go SJPP, leaving mid-April 2017. What kind of mean temp, weather, etc. For planning, any advice? Thx!

17. Wily

Hi Joe and Welcome to the Forum - I walked this year from late-April through May. I would say the mean temperature was 70-75 most days. Early on, as it turned out, thete were a few hotter days in the 80s, but there were also days when the temps hovered in the 60s. More dry than wet, but you have to be prepared for the wet weather throughout the trip. I found myself starting out in the mornings wearing a fleece that was packed away by mid-morning most days. It was comfortable enough to wear shorts most days or lightweight long pants depending on your inclination. Evening in the evenings, I needed nothing more than my fleece to be comfortable. There are many packing lists out there regarding clothing. There are also a number of threads on this forum regarding what to bring. My advice: travel light!

18. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Hi Leslie,

Will you be posting up final tallies for all those pilgrims-in-waiting who are trying to determine realistic budgets? Please and thank you in advance.

19. Joe Hughes

Joe Hughes New Member

Thanks for this feedback. John and I will so love it! This website is a great help...!

20. Wily

Tina - Food and lodging will be your two largest daily expenses. Since you will be traveling with a group of 9 ladies, you will definitely want to make your bed reservations well in advance. The least expensive route is staying in the albergues. Over the course of my Camino, I paid between 5-17€ a night for a bed with an average right around 10€. With the exception of the Municipals, most albergues accept reservations. There are a number of links that have been posted on the Forum regarding websites or email addresses for contacting them. I also found Booking.com very useful in making reservations. With reservations made, you'll know exactly this portion of your budget. Regarding food, a typical breakfast offered at an albergue is usually 3-5€. A continental breakfast in a cafe is priced similarly. I would guess that your group would enjoy the evening pilgrim meals many albergues and restaurants offer. The general price for the three course dinner was 10-12€.

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  21. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Thanks for breaking it down.

22. David Fletcher

David Fletcher Member

This is a serious "it depends" question. Muni albergues, an € 8 or 10 meal (or even less if there's a communal kitchen) and a couple of snacks will keep you under € 30 per day; on the other hand, a couple of private rooms or a hotel for respite from time-to-time, and it will push your daily average up.

23. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

Hey guys,
    For me it was about 30 Euro per day. Staying under 40 is pretty realistic especially before Sarria if you choose municipal albergues. To keep it under 20 would require a bit of inventive and/or forward thinking. You would def do it alot rougher imo. But there is really no correct way on the camino, its an individual choice. The biggest money taker I observed was cafes. Alot of people spending 10+ euros 5 times a day in our group. A few days we combined costs for communal meals saving maybe 5 euro for that day. My budget was max of 10 euro for most albergues + 5 euro for breakfast + 10 for other food + 5 for other irregular items or treats. It would be very easy to spend 40 or 50 euro per day. The temptation to eat is always there, and nice food is often for sale within easy reach.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  24. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Nice! I will keep this in mind. :)

Daniel Bowater likes this.
  25. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Just got done doing the Camino Frances in mid-October. We had a group of four and started out staying mostly at private albergues, but also stayed at some municipal facilities. After a couple of weeks of staying in large rooms with many pilgrims, sometimes with noise issues, we decided we would upgrade our accommodations if the right conditions and price combination presented itself. We managed many times to get a room with four beds and sometimes our own bathroom. We tried to shoot for a price of less than 20 euros each. And we did stay in hotels a few times. Once was because we couldn't find anything else but a few, especially in Santiago and Fisterra, were rewards for our accomplishment. Averaging out the whole trip I spent less than 40 euros per day not counting airplane tickets, taxi from Pamplona to St. Jean PDP, or bus trip from Fisterra back to Santiago. When I left Spain I said that I would not be back to do another Camino. It took me two weeks at home to change my mind. :)

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  26. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Hi to the general response group...and I got home at the end of October. I generally look at the expenses and consider the average daily cost to be around 35Euros a day. 10 - 12 for the dorms, 10 for supper and 10 for the meals and beverages through the day. I mixed it up a lot and stayed in a lot of dorms thanks to my dynamo earplugs. In the leftovers, I figured in a couple of bus trips which were incredibly cheap and worth it when I needed them. I rewarded myself with hotels only a couple of times. I liked the smaller private hostels best and really. Only stayed in a couple of the municipales. If I had been 20, I could have done that a lot more.

I never cooked for myself and bought snacks in the small stores...someone sometime said, “see a banana, buy a banana” and I realized that you never know when yoou might need an emergency banana.

While I don’t have any real urge to do another one, I was delightfully surprised by what I took from it and what a lovely and continuously lingering sense I feel I will cary with me for a very long time. It was most certainly different than anything else I have ever sone in my life and I loved it, even when I did not love it.

27. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Kim - Thank you for this statement, as it expresses my feelings exactly. I just hadn't thought of it in these terms.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  28. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bryan, I kept a detailed log of expenses for both caminos. For our first camino (Sept-Oct 2015), we mostly stayed in albergues (private and municipal), and in three paradors during camino frances, plus hotels in transit. Excluding transportation costs, we averaged 35 euros per day per person.

For our second camino (Sept-Oct 2017), we stayed mostly in private albergues, hotels in transit, three paradors. For private albergues, we stayed in private rooms for two with/without bath, and quad rooms - my brother and his wife walked the entire camino with us. We only stayed in a few municipal albergues or private albergues with several bunk beds. Excluding transportion costs, we averaged 50 euros per day per person. My wife and I felt the extra money paid was worth the comfort and privacy. We felt much more relaxed and rested this camino.

For our third camino, we'll leave our sleeping bags at home and book private rooms for two the entire camino. Bob