1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much medication is allowed

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by Robert Pagan, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Robert Pagan

Robert Pagan New Member

I am a person who has medical issues and use several medications, some of which is controlled and some not.
    Is their any place that i can call and ask or research on my pain meds like how much i can take into the countries of travel do i need a doctors note. I am trying to be on the camino from France in June of 2015. Can someone please help?

2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

First of all "Facts" from & for the UK for example you need "a personal licence if staying or leaving the country for more than 3 months " to take certain drugs "controlled drugs" (medication abroad) because of the misuse of the drugs act....and some countries such as India-Turkey have there own list of what you can and cannot take........You need to travel with some of your medication on the flight for a few days use, the rest in the hold.....carry a copy of your prescription..your next port of call is your own Government website. then from there explore there requirement for you on there web site, from your exit country and where your going i:e flying into France- Spain...this is for you to search online because you do not say where your coming from......take a doctors note also.......flying with meds..I personal keep all of mine on me on the plane(not controlled).....your only get challenged if they search you and examine your meds, and then you bring out the paper work.

I have looked online for you and can only assist you as far as this..........specific information is needed, what country are you flying from.....if its the UK then you already have the answer here.From the UK for a personal license you contact the home office ,just checked. to bring and return with controlled medication

from the USA check the CDC website and that has a drop down menu...just checked a few minutes ago.

I would like to know your exit country so this information can be sourced on the forum for others......

Take care

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  3. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
    I did the camino this July (2014) and am a heart patient having had a quad bypass in 2010 and I brought with me two prescriptions for my heart and had no problems at all. The one thing I do recommend is that you bring extra, I brought two weeks extra, because "stuff" happens.

Buen Camino

BryanandJoan likes this.
  4. Robert Pagan

Robert Pagan New Member

Thank you for your assistance. I will be leaving from the United States and will be going to Paris-St.Jean and God willing Santiago.
    Travel here is not difficult here with my meds and ive talked to my doctors about letters and they have all agreed to give them to me.
    A problem i'm having is that i use 13 meds a day and i cant see carrying all those pill bottles, so where do i go to get a listings of post offices on the camino where i can have some of them forwarded.

5. highlander

Robert.
    have you thought about stripping your meds down.popping all the blister packs and placing that med into a clear sandwich bag and so on with all the others, really reduces packaging.keeping a label for each med and a prescription will suffice.

then you have no pill bottles or blister packs and the volume is reduced by a considerable amount...if you try this first at home you can see how much weight is left. if this is not an option then send the rest ahead in a secure post parcel a week ahead at a time, such as at and too Estelle-Burgos-Leon-Sarria, your find the albergue staff will help you sort where each post office is with out worrying about it now.

Hope this helps,if you want or need specific PO addresses then I will get them for you. later on if no one else has them in the meantime..

6. highlander

Hi
    found these, type in Corresos Espana www.correos.es/ss/satellite/site/pagina-inicio/info
    also La Poste France www.laposte.fr

7. Robert Pagan

Robert Pagan New Member

I've thought about that and my only worry is if at some time during a border crossing if there is a check of my gear will i be given a hard time about my pills. I want to thank you for your input.

8. Robert Pagan

Robert Pagan New Member

Well I was just asked(told) by my wife that she wanted to visit Seville so i guess i'll be leaving out of San Pablo airport. I've been thinking about just sending my non controlled pills ahead and once i cross into Spain i'll eliminate the pill bottles and put them divide the rest into baggies. I guess this is just one of the new adventures I will encounter on my camino. Again thant you for your help.

9. Iwannallama

Iwannallama New Member

I also have meds, some controlled. Thank you for this info. I'll be travelling US to UK, then train I think to France.

Anyone else have updated info about travelling with meds?
    Thanks
    Clare

10. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hi Clare - The advice that I have always traveled by is to keep your prescription meds in their original packaging. I doubt if it will ever be an issue, but just in case, particularly for controlled substances, keep them in the plastic containers you received them in. It may tske up a bit more space, but not really any extra weight.

11. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Besides taking a daily vitamin and small aspirin, I have four prescription drugs to treat hypertension and high chloresterol. Including our transit time from the US - Madrid - Pamplona - SJPDP, our 35 day camino and transit time back to the US afterwards, our total trip time was 6 weeks. My physician wrote a note saying that I was his patient and noted the prescription drugs he prescribed for me. I brought seven weeks total of each drug. I double bagged these and placed them inside the plastic vitamin bottle. I was never asked for documentation and did not have any issues throughout our camino. By the way, my wife and I also brought a bottle of over the counter ibuprofen. We depleted the bottle pretty quickly when both of us developed tendonitis. It was very easy for us to purchase more in local pharmacies.

12. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

My prescription meds have a printed label on them that describe then, give the doctor's name, my name and directions on how to use them. Most problems happen when someone has a plastic bag of several hundred unmarked pills.
    [NOTE="BROWNCOUNTYBOB, post: 40846, member: 16329"]Besides taking a daily vitamin and small aspirin, I have four prescription drugs to treat hypertension and high chloresterol. Including our transit time from the US - Madrid - Pamplona - SJPDP, our 35 day camino and transit time back to the US afterwards, our total trip time was 6 weeks. My physician wrote a note saying that I was his patient and noted the prescription drugs he prescribed for me. I brought seven weeks total of each drug. I double bagged these and placed them inside the plastic vitamin bottle. I was never asked for documentation and did not have any issues throughout our camino. By the way, my wife and I also brought a bottle of over the counter ibuprofen. We depleted the bottle pretty quickly when both of us developed tendonitis. It was very easy for us to purchase more in local pharmacies.[/QUOTE]

Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  13. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Although I brought a small supply of 800 mg ibuprofen, I went through them fairly quickly. Luckily, ibuprofen is readily available in every farmacia in 400 and 600 mg doses no prescription needed. You'll also find the prices very reasonable.

Since I'm talking about farmacias, you'll also find almost every type of foot care product available in them. Pharmacists are very knowledgeable about typical pilgrim afflictions and are extremely friendly and glad to be of assistance. If you do develop some sort of problem, stop in sooner rather than later for assistance.

14. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    Gday Clare,
    Whilst we were on the Camino last year I had 4 months of prescription melds with me (we were on the Camino and a holiday in Greece afterwards -14 Weeks total). I made the mistake of having them sorted into blister packs for each months (3 a day). This worked well for about 3 days into our trip. All the blister packs started popping open and there were pill everywhere in the bottom of my pack- backpacks can be quite unfriendly to delicate contents. We spent about an hour sorting them out and stowing them in more durable containers that weren't too heavy. We had no problems with authorities about the amount or types - though I did carry my prescription and doctor's note just in case.
    Cheers, Gerry.

Iwannallama likes this.
  15. UnkleHammy

I try to keep my meds, when traveling, in "child proof" containers. That way the meds don't get out accidentally. When I am on the trail I then stick them in plastic baggies.

Iwannallama and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  16. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    Good idea Hammy - i will be trying something different next time we travel. Your idea seems very do-able.
    Cheers
    Gerry:)

17. UnkleHammy

One thing that I forgot to say is that I carefully peal the original lables off the original pill containers and stick the labels on the plastic bags so that they have full documentation.

Iwannallama likes this.
  18. Iwannallama

Iwannallama New Member

Thanks Gerry, i was wondering if blister packs were a good idea, now i know.

19. Iwannallama

Iwannallama New Member

Oh, brilliant idea - thanks, Clare