1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Money To Carry?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by sunflower, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Pouveer

Pouveer New Member

You will find a town with an ATM every couple of km's. The only part where you really have to take anouth money for 6 days with you, is if you walk the Aragonian route. There's a strech of 80km with no shops (or hardly any) and no ATMs. Spactacular lanscapes and small private hostels where you usually get an all inclusive deal with breakfast and dinner for €25 p.p. The food at Ruesta was the best I had on all the Camino.

2. lefox

lefox New Member

Hey everyone! I newly discovered these water bottles (not to mention they were just featured in martha's living) that are made of silicon and can be rolled up while drinking them.

Bubi Bottle Store

Theyre refillable water bottles that can be rolled up as you use them like toothpaste. Made of silicon, they can truly form any shape, and I would think would be easier to deal with than those crinkly plastic ones I've read people suggest. They also can be used as a "hot compress" for sore muscles if filled with hot water (visa versa with freezing) and hold 22 oz as opposed to 16 oz in most bottles of water. Plus they come with a carabiner to attach to a your rucksack!! Don't know to those who are veterans if this is a novel idea, or what, but I thought it would be helpful :). Maybe i'm a youngin, but i've never seen anything like this for drinking before.

3. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

lefox, I think that's a brilliant idea and immediately looked on the web to see where I could get them. Unfortunately they are not available outside the US at present and freight charges would render them prohibitively expensive for us in Europe. However, I'll keep an eye out for their arrival. Good luck.

4. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

My bubi came last Monday and I love it. I am thinking it will be just the thing to put coffee, water, wine, beer or anything - the video on the website shows putting cell phone or cereal in it.
    Waterweed/Elandra

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  5. lefox

lefox New Member

I just ordered 2 for my camino, so glad someone here got one and loved it!!

6. Say Simba

Say Simba New Member

The 10 percent of your body weight that I learned here on this forum prior to leaving in April 2013 proved a good rule of thumb. I started with about 15 kilos plus bag, and was 204 kilos. I slimmed down to 93.9 kilos by the end of the Camino, and cut my bag down to 9.4 kilos, or so the airline ticket counter said. Looking back, I would have bought a smaller bag instead of the 45 liter Arcteryx Kea (Kata) that I used. 35 Liters or so would have been more than enough.

7. jfellows123

jfellows123 New Member

The 10% body weight rule of thumb is a very good guide. Frankly, you can easily get below that, and you'll be happy you did. You don't need big water bottles since water is regularly available. Not all towns have ATMs, so you should plan ahead to have enough money, but not too much either. There are great recommendations on how to pack and what towns have what facilities at http://www.caminocommunityguide.com One comment about phones. Cell coverage is good, but expensive in Spain (particularly with a data plan). BUT, modern phones have great cameras and note taking capability. I came back with over 5,000 high-def photos on my phone. You'll find wifi, but many times in bars that provide it if you buy something. When I did have wifi, I was able to send a quick paragraph and a few photos to a blog. That way my family knew roughly where I was. There are a few apps that don't require wifi, and have a lot of very useful information about the route, lodging, etc (see the website mentioned above). These are worthwhile to have, and you don't need to use the actual phone for calling much.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

When we talk of 10% of your body weight, do we talk ONLY of a fully loaded backpack or a fully loaded backpack PLUS the clothing and foot wear we are also wearing ?

Thanks

El Condor

9. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi El Condor

In spring/summer/autumn your only meant to carry 10% of your body weight in addition to your personal items worn, shoes etc.

On a mountain leaders course once we discussed this in depth....if your camping then you have the tent and cooker as well as extra days food.so the increase will go up on a sliding rule effectively.

In winter you need better and bigger sleeping bag, no heat in some alberegus . and extra layers. and full on water proofs as well as boots...I always take a rucksack shopping because I cycle so I get used to carrying weight........especially on top of the shoulders

which can be one of the first places weight is lost from

In summer on the camino. I see people hauling water, with 2 litres over at the days end. when you become thirsty that is a bad indicator when to drink. you need a good drink before you set off and you only need a litre to hand to top up.....your stop anyway for coffee breaks and consume liquid.

Look at the amount of water left after a few day's and reduce accordingly.......its all extra weight.....

10. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Thank you very much Highlander, That answers all my questions, and thanks for the tip regarding the water ! I will be doing El Camino in Spring ( starting May the 17 ) This sure puts my mind at ease. I am sure I can now stay within the 10% range

11. Gazza

Gazza Member

Hey guys, on the thought of water. Suggest you take steripen or tablets. Some of the water can be a bit dodgy, particularly if your stomach isn't too strong

12. Regina38

Regina38 New Member

I was glad to have two bank cards. I needed money for both me and my 20 year old granddaughter. Some local banks only allow you to withdraw 50 euros a day and some small communities only have 1 ATM machine.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  13. Say Simba

Say Simba New Member

10 percent of your body weight. I began with more, but was on target at 9.4 kilos by the time I got to Santiago. Don't learn this lesson the hard way, unless you are going to be one those people that charter the baggage carrying service from hotel to hotel.

14. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Remarkable! Most people lose body weight walking the camino from St Jean to Santiago with the result that the ratio of pack weight to body weight increases as time goes by. You must have jettisoned quite a bit of gear. My pack weighed 10kg at start (10% of my body weight would have been 8.9kg) and when I added a litre of water it increased, of course, to 11kg. I didn't find it a problem at any stage. It depends on the person but it is wise to keep pack weight as low as you possibly can.

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  15. Barbara Everingham

Barbara Everingham hikerfan

Thanks for that info as I am also walking that section.

16. Tom V

Tom V Member

The money machines (ATMs) in larger cities tend to have lower fees than those in small villages.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  17. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

If you have a Santander account you can withdraw at the banks free of charge

18. jppreston

jppreston Freedom and Adventure Donating Member

US citizens can open a Schwab brokerage account ($1,000 min) and then with a linked Schwab Bank account, can get a debit card that reimburses all ATM fees. I have also found that I get a much better exchange rate with the card than at a traditional (non-black market) money exchange.

19. SBS

SBS New Member

ATMs are everywhere. I used a debit card that could be preloaded in multiple currencies and had a second back up card (sep. no. & PIN ) in case the first got lost. I took credit cards as back up but didn't need them. Not all ATMs are created equal, cannot remember the name but the bank with the Bull as a logo charged the least transaction fee. Maybe someone can remember the name. Cash out at the main centres for 5-7 days. I kept my days budget in a small coin purse in a pocket for easy access and the balance in my money belt. This way I didn't overspend and wasn't reaching into a money belt all the time. I averaged 30-40 Euro/day including a few nights a hotel and mostly eating out. Let your bank know you're travelling so they honour your card.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  20. Orava

Orava Active Member

I took out less then 200€ in the major cities and never ran out using alburgues and a daily budget of 25-30€. I also had a couple of emergency fifty euro notes in my belt's secrect zipped pocket but never needed them. Fifties are sometimes not liked in the more rural towns and villages so if you do need to break one you may get a funny look

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  21. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Renegade, I would love for you to send me some easy protein rich recipes that I could use on the trail - have you thought about making a book? Would be a good seller on Amazon I am thinking and may pay for your next Camino :)

22. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

30 Euro a day should be quite fine if you don't spend on extras. I spent between 25 and 30 Euro in 2014, beers and som extras included. There are some really cheap pilgrim hostels if you check the web, and I guess you don't need to have two cooked meals every day. A sandwich or something light was quite enough for me at noon, and the pilgrim dinner in good company in the evenings, or do some shopping and prepare a nice pasta in the hostel.
    Buen Camino - also in good company.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  23. rnwinters

rnwinters Member

Great info for someone doing the Camino for the first time. Very helpful and right to the point. Thanks.
    -- Bob

24. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

I'd recommend to carry 250 to 300 max. Usually 250 is enough but I'd rather bring enough money for emergencies. ATM fees will rip you off, so try to avoid taking cash out if you can. Some accommodations might take card, but most restaurants, bars and small shops will do cash only.