1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Much Water To Bring Daily?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by tamrabowman, Aug 28, 2015.

1. tamrabowman

tamrabowman World Gallivanter and Roller Skatrix

California, Colorado and Antigua, Guatemala.
    Hey all. I am hiking the Frances end of Sept through Oct from St. JeanPDP. It's my first time. I can bring a pack reservoir with 3 liters, and a water bottle, or both. Are there lots of fountains on the way, or are there some legs where you need to hike all day with no place to refill?

Also, does anyone bring electrolyte supplements to add in the water? If so, what's the best/lightest to bring?

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    I also have a 3 L bladder and plan to fill it that first day out of St Jean, but will carry only 2 L most days. The first day is the hardest, but you also have to cross a mountain. I think there is a fountain or two along thew way that day, but I want to be sure that I am well hydrated for the climb.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@tamrabowman at Camino frances you don't need much water, maximum 2L, because there are many water fountain on the way.I had 1l and 0,7l bottles and never been without water(nor first day)

4. Sarah JB

Sarah JB New Member

Guys I'm currently on the Camino and water shortage was my worry as I drink a huge amount of water.

I carried 2 1l bottles, one attached to my front strap and my reserve in my side pouch.

I never needed to touch my reserve bottle. I drank loads of water before my day started. At every water fountain, again I drank loads of water to hydrate then filled up my water bottle.

I didn't have any problems. The book is quite out of date there are plenty of fountains and cafes that will top your water up.

I hope this helps.

UnkleHammy and danvo like this.
  5. Tom V

Tom V Member

Sarah, Hope your are enjoying your Camino. I agree with you. I carried way more than I need. As you said, there are many places to get clean, safe water. Just ask.

Buen Camino peregrino.

6. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    You will find plenty "watering holes" along the Camino, which may be fountains (make sure they say "potable"), bars/restaurants, shops and the taps (faucets) in places where you stay overnight.
    Electrolytes can be bought over the counter in "farmacías" (drug stores) if needed.;)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. tamrabowman

tamrabowman World Gallivanter and Roller Skatrix

California, Colorado and Antigua, Guatemala.
    Thanks everyone!

8. Iwannallama

Iwannallama New Member

Hi, how were you able to attach your water bottle to your backpack strap. Is there a brand I can look into?
    Thanks
    Clare

9. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Clair - I would suggest that you go to an outfitting store and talk with the people who can really help you. There are so many different packs out there to choose from. The most popular brand that I saw on the Camino was the Osprey. It's made in both women and men sizes. Most backpacks have both straps and mesh pockets. The pockets work well for carrying water bottles. Most people don't carry more than one standard liter bottle. Refilling it along the way is really quite easy. If you haven't read the post yet, check out Laurie Ferris' review of her backpack. She got everything into a 24L pack. As everyone will tell you: the lighter,the better.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My wife and I each used a 1 L camelbak bottle during our October, 2015 camino and that was sufficient water most days without even refilling. As a backup, we also each had a 1 L platypus collapsible water bottle. We filled that as well for the first day walk up Napoleon route to Roncevalles. For that day, we refilled our Camelback bottle at Orrison, and drank some from our platypus. We'll each bring both bottles with us during our camino next fall.

11. danvo

Best of all is 0,7L plastic bottle from juice. It weights nearly nothing, easy refillable everywhere. 2 bottles are enough.

raymond john likes this.
  12. Wily

Claire - Both food and fuel are so important on the Camino. You need to replenish both calories and liquids. I got into a pretty set routine walking. Although I only carried one bottle of water, my mid-morning stop (after my earlier morning stop for coffee and breakfast) usually included drinking a bottle of the electrolyte replacement drinks like Gatoraid or Poweraid. All of the little tiendas carry them. I found this particularly important on hot days when I sweated a great deal. Keep hydrated!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Lots of Great info posted on carrying water Clare – As wily and others have said, hydration is imperative, I believe that one regular poster, UnkleHammy had to quit his own Camino very soon after starting because he became dehydrated – Hopefully he will post details so that other Pilgrims can avoid similar problems.

How you carry your water comes down to personal preference, I carry a 1litre water bottle in a side pocket of my rucksack, preferring this over the bladder pack as I can easily monitor how much water I have remaining.

Most days the 1litre water bottle will be sufficient as there are usually regular opportunities on The Camino Frances to refill, but a good guidebook will (Or at least should) give you exact details of both Fuentes (And whether the water is potable) as well as bars / cafes en-route.

If the weather is Hot, then as danvo said, you can supplement your water bottle with empty plastic juice bottles

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  14. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I made an error by trying to save weight by only partially filling my water bladder and then having it leak. (I made an additional mistake of not properly tighting the filling hole.)

15. Pam Simpson

Pam Simpson Member

I have a 750ml bottle holder that hangs from my hip strap - bought it from Amazon (Life Venture, I think)
    I refilled that at every occasion (never pass an opportunity to pass water - in both senses!!!) but also carried 500ml in my back pack as a reserve. That was plenty for the Frances in May.

dougfitz likes this.
  16. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

UnkleHammy – I would like to thank you this posting giving details of what went wrong on your own Camino Frances – It takes Balls to publicly admit to your errors and then to post the information to try to prevent those pilgrims following in your footsteps making the same mistake. Well Done :)

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  17. UnkleHammy

I try to be clear about what I do and I have done. I sometimes get carried away with my clear thoughts which sometimes irritates others.

Woodchild likes this.
  18. Wily

Irritating others isn't always a bad thing. Let me second what Rob said. I, as I am sure many other pilgrims, appreciate hearing about the hydration issues you experienced UnkleHammy. As a long distance cyclist, I have dehydrated on more than one occasion. It's a debilitating and dangerous situation when the body doesn't have the correct balance of electrolytes to function properly. On one trip, it stopped me right in my tracts! As I posted on a different thread, it strikes me UnkleHammy that you're the kind of guy who will get right back on the horse. It would be my very good fortune to bump into you sometime in the future walking the Camino. Thanks for sharing your story.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  19. UnkleHammy

I would like to get back on the Camino, but until late I win at Lotto. I will be staying near to home in sunny California.

20. Dylan Price

Dylan Price Member

When we did it we carried a 750ml bottle. On day one is possibly the worst day for water stops - after Orisson the next water stop is Rolland's Fountain quite a way up. But generally most villages have a fountain or two and if they don't pop into a local bar, buy something small and ask them to top you up.

21. Orava

Orava Active Member

On my May 2015 camino I carried one 500ml bottle mostly. Drank my fill at fountains and then refilled and set off again. I did put an extra 500ml bottle in my side pouch only on any sections that were marked as having limited water availability.

22. Darryl Olverson

Darryl Olverson New Member

Thanks for the frank and clear information, much appreciated.

23. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

As water weight ... I just take a small bottle (300 ml) and in some stages (in which I know there is not any refilling point) or when it is really hot I take a second bottle, but for 90% of the camino with one bottle (and refilling in fountains, bars, etc...) is more than enough for me.

24. danvo

in summer months it is necessary to take more water - at least 1L (I carried two 750ml bottles) - if I not drank enough water I had headache after few days. On Camino it was not very funny if temperature was over 30C degree.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  25. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

On the summer I avoid the caminos at the center and south and I just take the caminos in the north are (Primitivo, norte, etc.) ... No problem there (except some very specific days!!) ;);)

danvo likes this.
  26. danvo

Lirsy: agree, but if it is your first Camino, you don't know which one is that "very specific" - not all water fountain has drinkable water... (of course, there is many water fountain with drinkable water on the way, especially on CF...) But still is better to carry water than no water.

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  27. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

An interesting note I read in "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed was that you can tell if you are well hydrated if you pee three times during your daily hiking of 5 or 6 hours. For our first camino, I sometimes did not have to urinate the entire day's hike! For our second camino, I intentionally drank lots more water daily. Never reached the goal of 3 x pees per day, but was pleased to do so once or twice. Bob

UnkleHammy, danvo and Greg Canning like this.
  28. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Danvo. For me one 750ml bottle is the very least you need and you need to make sure it is full at every stop. There are some sections even on the CF where fountains can be hard to find and even in March and October we encountered some very hot afternoons. I carry two 750ml bottles and fill them to the 500 ml mark but it gives the option to fill them right up for those sections where water is not easily available. Better to have a little extra at the end of the day than risk dehydration.

danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  29. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

You'll drink approximately 2 to 3 litres a day, you will find fountains on the way to refill your bottles. Bring a light 1L bottle with you and refill it any chance you have. Plus, in a lot of bars and restaurants, if you ask them to refill your bottle with tap water they will.

danvo likes this.
  30. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

Don't forget to camel-up before leaving in the morning or leaving a fountain.

danvo likes this.