1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to add your photo to your posts

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by HuskyNerd, Mar 31, 2011.

1. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Once you've logged in and been approved as a member of this wonderful Camino Forum you'll want everyone to recognize you. What better way than to add a photo of yourself to each of your posts? Here's how:
    1. Once you're signed in and accepted as a member of the Forum, click on "Notifications" at the top right of each page.
    2. On the drop-down menu, click "Inbox"
    3. On the left of the Inbox page, click "Edit Avatar." The Avatar is the photo or graphic that is displayed on each of your posts just under your name
    4. Click on "Use Custom Avatar" and either give it the URL of some graphic of you from somewhere on the Internet (e.g. your Facebook page) or upload your own image. This must be a max of 80x80 pixels or 19.5 KB which is pretty small.
    5. Don't know how to get a URL of an image of you? Go to an image of you that's online. Right click the image and press "Copy Image Address" (on Macs) or "Copy Image Location" (for PCs). Then paste this address (http://.....) into the dialogue box.
    6. Press "save changes" and you're set. Congrats!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I simply would like to point out that this entire thread exists as a none-too-subtle attempt to get our "Forum Grandfather" Covey to post his photo. The very thought of walking a Camino, seeing a Cornish-Methodist-Serial Caminoist with a cigarette in one hand and a gin and tonic in the other and NOT knowing it's Covey would be a tragedy. Covey. It's time. Post your handsome mug here so we all can enjoy you. Once a person reaches 1,000 Forum posts it must be mandatory or something.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

Hi Huskynerd,
    There used to be a photo of Covey, but i see it's dissapeared. There's been some changes to the Forum, and it will take me a while to figure them out.
    Cheers Tanya
    P.S I sent you a private message

4. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

You've changed your photo and mine has dissapeared !!

5. Anso

Anso New Member

Hi Tanya, while I don't purport to be an expert on web design, I did had a couple of ideas that may help you or at least point you in the right direction. Did you upload an image or did you use a URL, if using a URL check that is not changed? You should be able to copy the full URL text and paste it into the address bar of a web browser, if you don't see your image then the link is probably broken/changed. Also it's a possibility with a URL that it could be you need to be logged into that site in order for the image to a accessible.

Your profile image looks okay by the way, so do what you did for that but use "edit avatar" under settings after you have logged in to the forum.

Good luck, we all want to see your smiling face!

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

There are a couple of ways to add you photo.

The photo that shows along side each post is called an avatar.

There is a central way within the internet that sites like this use, along with many blogs and community site and that is Leslie Gilmour, Dublin, Glasgow, and Prague - Gravatar Profile - this is my public profile there.

I have two main email address I use, one for business that has the main photo there - so whenever I use my business email that is the photo that is shown. I also have my gmail address which shows the photo that is attached to this post.

So once you add a profile there it always pulls the photo - goood if you use many places on the web like me.

Alternatively on this site you can add a photo and it will only be shown on this site. If you login and go to your profile - then click on the menu item Forum Actions - this is on the menu just below Forum and Whats New. On the drop down menu choose Edit Profile.

Once that page has loaded there is another menu on the left side towards the bottom of the page. Within that menu choose Edit Avatar under My Setting.

Then upload your Avatar from your computer. I think there are hight width file size limitations.

The forum software need to be updated from time to time and this does cause some changes as time goes on - the changes are supposed to benefit us, but sometimes it does not work out that way.

Hope all this helps.

7. Tanya Yaksich

Tanya Yaksich New Member

Hello Leslie and Anso,
    I've had my chuckle for the evening. What the devil is a U.R.L ?? Do you click once or twice. Is it the right click or the one on the left?? And how on earth do i find my photos. I fluked it once, but since then all the photos i put in my computer vanish in files somewhere. My children eventually find them but then i lose them again.
    I have decided that computers are solely for mail, this marvellous forum, playing games and googling things.
    Love to you all Tanya

8. Anso

Anso New Member

Bless you Tanya, okay a U.R.L. is abbreviation for Uniform Resource locator, think of it as the address of something on the internet.

If your picture is on your computer and not on the internet, the default location of your pictures is different across operating systems, i.e. Linux, Mac or the various flavours of Microsoft Windows. I would guess you are using windows and your photos would be in the "My Pictures" folder but that location changes across versions.

As leslie stated you also may need to reduce the size of the picture, I might be able to talk you though it all, but in all honesty you're right, best if you grab one of your kids and get them to add it for you and ask them to show you how they did it too.

Don't worry to much about it, you're not alone my 6 year old son is better on the computer than my partner,

Good Luck Tanya.

9. Gerry

Gerry Member

I notice on my profile there is a section called Albums. I would love to know how to add a small picture album to my profile. Is this possible? If so please tell me how. Gerry.

10. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Hi,

I'm having a problem with trying to get my profile picture up. It is uploaded but there's nothing coming upon the message board when I write. I do have an avatar freepoppy, Under sail on my boat, 'Free' - Gravatar Profile but when I click on the little circle nothing happens! Sorry, I'm pretty poor with IT stuff, so you may think me silly! Also, I have customised my script as purple, like my signature and it is remaining black. I must be doing something wrong, but can't think what.

11. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
  12. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Home Page:
    Hi Leslie,

Thanks very much for that. I always panic when setting various profiles up!

13. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Doh! whats happened to my profile picture? It doesn't seem to be showing up on threads anymore, please help :eek:

Thanks in advance

14. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

I uploaded my picture as well - quite a while ago - but I don't ever see it on my posts. I thought that perhaps other people see it, but I don't. Now I'm confused. It shows in my profile.

15. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Hey Tinkerbell,

umm...mine was showing up on threads until today, then it disappeared and I haven't changed any of my settings.

I don't think I've seen yours before.

16. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    ok, all fixed. Tanya I thought I would fix your avatar at the same time, hope that is ok.

Just list yourself here if you have any issues and let me know.

17. moostewart

moostewart New Member

Thank you very muchly Leslie :cool:

18. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

I can see yours, Moo! And mine for the first time! Thanks Leslie :)

19. Waterweed

Waterweed Member

I would also like to know how to download pictures from my phone to the Albums section in my profile.
    Elandra

20. BryanandJoan

BryanandJoan New Member

while we are sorting things of a technical nature out, please can you tell us how we can put where we are from on the profile bit? My clever young wife Joan sorted putting the picture on but we cannot see how to get Gateshead, UK on the bottom?

21. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    To edit any information in your profile, hover over your name at the top right of the screen. Your name will show in the menu bar just under the Google search. On the drop down menu that appears when you hover click personal details.

Once there you can add where from and other information you want to share.

Let me know if you have any other questions.