1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Get To St Jean Pied De Port

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Leslie, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    If you are starting at St Jean, which is in the south of France, the best airport to fly into is Biarritz. Biarritz is a local airport with connections from all over Europe – but not from the USA.

I use http://www.skyscanner.com/ to find flights. They normally show the flights in and out of all airports. They also give options of indirect flights – some of these are much cheaper – when I have more time I use these around Europe.

There are buses from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station, it takes about 30 minutes – see here for timetable http://www.chronoplus.eu/ - alternatively a taxi will be slight quicker – but more expensive.

The train from Bayonne, or bus while rail works continue, will take about one hour twenty minutes. You can see the timetable here and book tickets, but I don’t think that is required - http://www.raileurope-world.com/train-tickets/journey-insights/article/bayonne-st-jean-pied-de-port

So if you are travelling from anywhere in Europe it is better if you can fly into Biarritz. However I have also used the train from Paris to Bayonne, and my other half has bussed it from the Czech Republic – so there are other options.

A lot of people who fly from North America fly into Madrid. I have never seen any direct flights from Madrid to Biarritz. The flights with connection are expensive – min about $700 – so too much.

I think the train is the best option from Madrid to Bayonne or Pamplona. I have not taken this route, so it would be good if others that have let us know how this journey went.

http://www.raileurope-world.com/ show the time from Madrid at just over seven hours and the cost this week would be €64. So not too bad.

However, the journey from Madrid to Pamplona is only three hours and this week would cost €35.

From Pamplona there are buses to St Jean – see details here on website - http://www.alsa.es/ when searching on their site you can change to English. Please note the Pamplona to St Jean buses are international and show up when you search in that area. It costs €22 and takes one hour forty five minutes.

If by any chance your flights leaves you outside of the times for any bus or train try taxi share here at http://www.taxipamplona.com/comparte.php they apparently have a pilgrim rate… and another http://www.expressbourricot.com/ Express Bourricot have been moving pilgrims for many years and I hear good things about them. They have taxi share from Pamplona, Roncesvalles, and Biarritz. They also now offer a bag carrying service for the first day.

Nan, Patt!, Gerry Vandermaat and 7 others like this.
  2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Leslie, thanks for this!
    Small tip for those who flight from outside of Europe: (but not only!) you can look for airports with flights to Biarritz-and flights from your home to that airports.
    Buen Camino!

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  3. DPC_MKK

DPC_MKK New Member

Leslie, last fall (mid-september) I traveled to SJPDP for the Camino from Madrid. It was super easy. I flew into Madrid from the States and arrived around 10:00 am. I then took a taxi from the airport to the train station to catch a train to Pamplona. The train left that afternoon. I arrived in Pamplona in the afternoon. Upon arrival in Pamplona, I went to the bus station to get my ticket for SJPDP for the next day. The following day, the bus from Pamplona to SJPDP left around 1 pm I believe and carried about 30 pilrims. We arrived in SJPDP around 3 pm as I recall. I'll have to do a bit of digging to get prices, but had no problems. I intend on doing the same route again this september.

Maurice Marr and Micki Jerry like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Leslie, thanks for the updated information regarding options to travel from Pamplona to SJPDP. My wife and I are flying from the states to Madrid beginning Sept 23. We have booked hotel reservations in Madrid, Pamplona and SJPDP. We begin Camaino Frances on Sept 27. I've read several past postings regarding travel options from Pamplona to SJPDP - your updated information is very helpful. Bob

5. Katka

Katka Guest

Thank you for your post. I have a follow-up question. I will arrive to St Jean pretty late (around 8 pm) and I will need to get credential and find a place in an albergue. Does anyone have experiences with arriving this late and could say whether getting credential would still be possible at this time? I suspect municipal albergue will be full by that time, so I want to make a reservation in one of the private ones, or is that unnecessary? I looked at the websites of the local pilgrim office and municipal albergue, but they either didn't have an English version or it did not work, and I couldn't find any information that would resemble opening hours.

6. danvo

Katka, I think pilgrims office is open till 10PM, albergues too. In pilgrims office you get suggestion for free albergue, or you can select any other free, sometimes few meters from office :) Buen Camino!!

Sallyann50 and Journeyman like this.
  7. PereBourik

PereBourik New Member

My son and I will arrive in SJPP roughly 7pm on Sunday, 23 August.
    1) will we be able to get accommodation at the Albergue de Peregrinos?
    2) Should/can we make reservations?

I see that the train isn't running. We will take the bus or taxi.

Is it better to spend the night in Bayonne and take the first bus up to SJPP in the morning?

8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Your son has options – One good one might be that IF he can reserve a bed at Orisson http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ then he can stay in Bayonne, catch a bus to SJPDP the next morning, look around there, take lunch and walk the 8k up to the Albergue at Orisson – This would then make what is often thought of as a long hard day from SJPDP to Roncesvalles a lot easier by splitting it into two

However, If there isn’t a bed available at Orisson, and he wants to get as far as SJPDP the day he flies in, then reserving a bed in a hotel or private Albergue would make good sense

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Sallyann50 likes this.
  9. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Hi bob, first off I was raised in indiana lived in noblesville, fort wayne, terre haute, went to purdue undergrad and IU grad...am a texan now but nice to see a midwesterner. anyway i'm looking at starting the camino the week of sept 23rd or so (it's only hit me in last couple of weeks so i'm a bit behind the eight ball). how long are you and your wife planning to take on your trip?

10. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Hi, How do I find out if the train is running yet or not to SJPP? I read a few blogs somewhere that would be a good thing to do but if it's not running....
    thanks

11. Ailish

Ailish Guest

I arrive to Biarritz airport at around 5:05pm on 21st July. I am looking at booking a heletaxi that caters especially for pilgrims. The cost is 90€ for 1-4 passengers or 110€ for 5-8 passengers. Is anyone else arriving that time and would like to share?

12. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    My advice is that if you want to fly into Biarritz do it from Paris, not Madrid. From Paris there are direct flights, none from Madrid. Unfortunately I did not figure this out until after I booked my flight into Madrid. Live and learn.

Sallyann50 likes this.
  13. Tom V

Tom V Member

Check out Easyjet. They fly from CDG to Biarritz several times a day most days. You should be able to find ground transportation from there to SJPDP. It about an hour drive as I recall.

Sallyann50 and Suzanne Tessier like this.
  14. Orava

Orava Active Member

There is also an overnight sleeper from Paris to Bayonne which is very cheap at about 35€ for earlybird booked tickets. 6 berth couchette cabins, unisex. First class has 4 beths per cabin and 20 odd euros more expensive. Check the SNCF website. The train can be boarded at several Paris stations.

This was the way I went in May this year. I am a heavy sleeper and managed to arrive in Bayonne well rested early next morning.

If you fly into Paris Orly then be warned that there are two options of transfer routes from Orly to Gare du North. I took what looked like the shortest involving a bus ride then local train from Pont d'Orly local station. Pont d'Orly is a small urban station in the underbelly of south Paris and could be a bit intimidating at the wrong time at night ( not many rail staff and plenty of dubious types hanging around etc.) The other route is via the new OrlyVal so that might be more touristy.

WilliamCruz likes this.
  15. Orava

Orava Active Member

Sorry...Pont du Rungis NOT Pont d'Orly was the transfer station.

16. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Does anyone have updated information regarding taking a bus from Pamplona to SJPDP? I tried the alsa website, but it was hard to navigate. We should arrive in Pamplona on Sept 25 and would like to take a bus to St Jean on Sept 26.

17. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Bus.JPG

Hi Bob

The busses you are looking for aren’t run by Alsa but by the Conda bus company

There appear to be 3 busses on 25th September and they can be booked online at

http://www.gomarbella.com/marbella/online-bus-reservation-spain.htm

Rob
    EDIT - I just saw that you want to travel the following day - The busses are just the same !!

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.
  18. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Gracias, Rob. Great that we have a few choices. By the way, I read your blog regarding how to pack a backpack; this was also helpful.

Bob

19. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    De Nada Bob

Pleased that you also found my hits on backpack packing useful :)

Rob

20. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

There are a couple of us travelling from Biarittz to SJPDP on 9th September. I have ordered a taxi which is working out at €40 each. If anyone is interested sharing we could split the cost. Hopefully if we get 4 it. Joan and Alan

21. danvo

@Jopoke you can check www.expressbourricot.com for transport to SJPP - actual price is
    • 09/09 - 15:45 - Biarritz >> St JPP, 18€
    • 09/09 - 10:00 - Bayonne >> St JPP, 18-40€

but of course you can take a train from Bayonne, it is cheaper. Check www.sncf.com

Jopoke likes this.
  22. Ellen St John

Ellen St John New Member

I will be flying into Biaritz at 10 am September 11.....any chance taking a taxi then?

23. danvo

I think taking taxi is no problem at all, anywhere, anytime. But to SJPP you can take train, few times daily from Bayonne and cheaper than taxi.

24. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

Sorry I will be on my first day walking by then. Hopefully I might see you along the way. Good luck

25. Kenny Philpott

Kenny Philpott New Member

I'm looking at a flight from Boston to Madrid on September 14th arriving on the 15th at 0630am. I'm wondering how close is the main Atocha train station because I'm thinking of buying a train ticket leaving for Pamplona at 0730am on the same day. I know it is cutting it a little close but if the train station is at the airport I think I'll make it on coming off the non stop flight. Thanks

26. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Hola Rob,
    I am intrigued to see your post, I am doing exactly what you propose - however i have managed to get myself worried about what time the bus departs Bayonne (unable to locate that info) and will i have enough time to get to my reservation at Orisson by 6pm.... can you suggest a departure time on foot from SJPDP? Also, do you know if there is a bus from SJPDP to the area of where the orison is?

27. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

It has been written by others- suggesting that the train is not running due to repairs, I have researched often for information and as to date have been unsuccessful in finding train fares or schedules from Bayonne to SJPDP - do you know otherwise?

28. danvo

Suzanne, train is replaced by bus directly by sncf. So on sncf.com you can find timetable, and ticket to SJPDP you can buy directly at train station in Bayonne. As I seen few weeks ago, this time is only part replaced by bus, so on sncf page, you will find complete timetable with info which part is covered by train and which by bus, of course bus continue only few mins.after train arrive to that station.

29. danvo

Attached Files:

• sncf.jpg
      sncf.jpg
      File size:
      39.4 KB
      Views:
  30. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Muchas gracias Danvo. So kind of you to go thru the trouble to locate and copy this for me. I do believe i came upon this info - but was hoping there was more times for departure. arriving at 4pm will be tough for me to set out and make my reservation at the Orisson. Ill have to see if there is a bus to get me near, or find a room in SJPDP and have to walk the next day - all the way to Ronsavalles... which has me terrified. Thank you again.