1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Get To St Jean Pied De Port

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Leslie, Apr 22, 2015.

1. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Suzanne, in fact probably no more trains to SJPdP at sunday (yes, there are one at evening, but it arrives to SJPP after 10PM - at 10PM closes pilgrims office. And maybe in morning, but i think you arrive to Biarritz(?) later...when? I think you can find albergue in SJPP for that day - recommendations you get in pilgrims office - and next day go to Roncesvalles. Btw. i recommending to stay in SJPP, it is nice town to view. Passing Pyrenees is horrible for untrained persons (like me) but it is doable.

2. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Danvo, you say: Passing Pyrenees is horrible for untrained persons (like me) but it is doable. Well, Passing Pyrenees might be doable, but I cannot imagine a start so difficult - i might lie down to sleep afterwards and never get up, ... so i am looking for any options. Do you know how much it might cost to take a taxi from Bayonne to SJPdP (you seem to be so knowledgable). I am grateful for your help. Thank you.

3. danvo

Suzanne - i'm looking at your profile picture, so i think you really can do it. I'm sure that here are many pilgrims which can tell you something similar. And if you started training before, it will be ok. Yes, i say it was horrible for me, but next time i want to do same way. Only recommending - walk by your pace, do not rush, no worry, enjoy your camino. Albergue in Roncesvalles is very big, so i'm sure that you can find free bed there. Or book your bed at La Posada.
    In my case i was really untrained, too lazy to training(!!!) .. In Pyrenees there was parts where i stopped every 200m, but i did it. Next day i started like no Pyrenees last day(!) - but crisis came in Zubiri. So i stopped there for ca hour and continued..
    Buen Camino!!!
    and sorry, i don't know how much cost taxi..

4. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    In April this year we had travelled from Australia to Madrid before catching the train to Biarritz. We stayed overnight there, then caught a local buses to Bayonne, then, another bus from Bayonne station (the train line was still being repaired) to StJPdP. It was a great adventure trying to interpret time Spanish and French timetables without the language, but we got there without too much trouble.

BernieOzCamino likes this.
  5. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

DPC_MKK, I agree with you, that way would be the best way. I am doing something similar. Flight into Barcelona ( as I am flying from a different part of the world ) , Train to Pamplona bus to SJPDP. For pilgrims coming from the Americas, flying into Madrid and following your directions would be the easiest

6. Amos33

Amos33 New Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  7. dee7one

dee7one Member

8. dee7one

dee7one Member

Hi Leslie,

I just booked my air for my Camino this spring. I'll be flying into Paris from the US the end of April, arriving at 10:35 a.m. Can you suggest the best way to get to SJPP, and how long it will take me to get there?

Thanks so much,
    Dee

9. danvo

dee7one likes this.
  10. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I agree the train is the best way and a relaxing way to travel while seeing some of the French countryside - unless you get the night train.

Suzanne Tessier and dee7one like this.
  11. dee7one

dee7one Member

Thanks!

12. Alfred

Alfred Guest

Hello
    We have been planning our first Camino flying from Canada to Paris arriving at Charles de Gaulle airport. From there we transfer airports to Orly,takes 30 to 45 mins. Then on Easyjet to Biarritz where the train to St Jean Pied de Port. Easy jet is very economical.

13. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Alfred,

When you arrive at Biarritz airport, you then need to take a bus or taxi to Bayona/Bayonne to get the train to SJPP.

Buen Camino,

Mike

14. fitzcarraldo

fitzcarraldo New Member

Leslie, Do you know whether the Pamplona to St Jean/Roncesvalles bus runs in February (9/10) ? Thanks Tom

15. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
  16. fitzcarraldo

fitzcarraldo New Member

17. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

I contacted ExpressBourricot about transport from Pomplona to SJPdP. Following is the email I received back:
    ====================================
    Hello,

we don't offer the service of transport from Pamplona to st JPP. We can do it from St JPP to Pamplona , but not from Pamplona to St JPP. We offer transport from st JPP as a morning shuttle to the mountain, transport of bags to Roncesvalles or Orisson, and transport of bags to Santiago.

You can ask the service of transport from Pamplona to St JPP to this transport service at this email adress: transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com

He tries also to organise a shared transport with others pilgrims.

You have also the possibilities by bus with CONDA buses which runs from Pamplona to St JPP directly. Or also with the bus ARTIEDA from Pamplona to Roncesvalles and a local taxi from Roncesvalles to St JPP.

The easiest and fastest is Ivan at: transporte.peregrinos@gmail.com

Have a nice camino,

Thanks you very much,
    Caroline

EXPRESS BOURRICOT
    transport bagages, pèlerins, séjours culturels
    Caroline Aphessetche
    Maison Jauberriko borda
    64220 Ispoure
    France
    Tel: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76
    Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

===========================

It seems a bit odd that if they travel FROM SJPdP to Pomplona, they'd have to get back to SJ. Oh well. Got some new possibilities though.

18. Randy Dickow

Just heard back from Ivan. That is a taxi service. 100€ for single passenger. Says they try to put groups together to lower individual cost.

19. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

I am aware of transport issues from Pamplona to SJPP from my own researches, so instead of trying to get to SJPP via Pamplona, I go via San Sebastian which has a good bus service to Bayonne all year round.

20. Randy Dickow

THANK YOU Devon Mike! I just checked flights. I can fly with only one stop (Madrid) to San Sebastian and it's even cheaper by $20. I'm about to pull the trigger on this with a flight out of LA on September 6th. Can't wait.

Woodchild and Devon Mike like this.
  21. Carms

Carms New Member

Hi all,

Would really appreciate advice on the cheapest way to get to St Jean from CDG airport. My flight arrives at about 2pm :)

22. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

yes - super reasonable $$

23. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Last year, I took the train to Bayonne (6 hrs, and switching trains midway) then stayed over in Bayonne, to catch a 7:30 am train / with a switch to a bus mid way, to SJPdP (~200$ Cdn in all)
    However, i discovered EasyJet in Europe and it's so reasonable.
    I would fly from CDG to Biarritz - I'm guessing it will be ~ 30 Euros - but you still need the train / bus to Bayonne - SJPdP - or alternate transport.

24. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Anyone walking Mozarabe & Via de la plata Caminos the fall 2016? I'm arriving to Granada Aug 23, and plane to begin walking the 1200 km to Santiago del Compostela - anyone ?? Any tips or advise is welcome also.

25. mike gordon

mike gordon musico

Once in Bayonne is there any difficulty in finding the ramp, track number for the train to SJ. We all have visions of arriving in yet another LAX JFK Grand Central scenario and most of us will have had enough of that by the time we get to Bayonne. A map description or pic would be greatly appreciated

26. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hi Mike, you won't have any difficulty in Bayonne. It is, in fact, a relatively small regional train station. I'm guessing you'll be taking the train down from Paris-Montparnasse. If you can manage Paris (which isn't difficult), Bayonne will be a piece of cake. You will clearly see the quays marked for particular trains. Trains trend to be right in time in France. There is also an information booth at the Bayonne station and I found the people to be very helpful. Burn Csmino!

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  27. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

The only problem that I had in Bayonne was that I did not know that I had to push the "door open" button on the outside of the train car. It took me a few minutes to figure out that the door did not automatically open. Then all worked well. On my train almost everyone was a Camino walker.

In Saint Jean I could not find a taxi, but followed the crowd and ended up in the pilgrim office which worked out nicely. I found that the office closes at noon and reopens and hour or two later. Fortunately I was the last person in before closing and got a great set of information. (It would have helped if I had read and followed their suggestions better than I did.)

28. Orava

Orava Active Member

SNCF French rail no longer offer this overnight train service on that route (2016). I used it in 2015.

29. Mike F.

Mike F. Member

Thanks...I'll be traveling to SJPP via Madrid on 5/1. I already have my Madrid-Pamplona train ticket and my Pamplona-SJPP bus ticket. Question: Does anyone know how far the Pamplona bus station is from its train station?

30. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Mike - It's about a 30 minute walk between the two stations. Here's some information from another Forum that should assist you. Buen Camino!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pamplona-train-station-to-bus-station.19601/