1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Did It!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Melissa, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Melissa

Melissa Member

I have been home from my Camino for two weeks. My experience wasn't what I expected or what I was hoping for, but it was my Camino. Word of advice, go alone, unless you really know the person you are walking with. When I got home, I thought, well that's over with.
    Boy was I wrong! I keep thinking of the Camino and all the beautiful places and people. There is so much magic, and so much to learn.
    I'm planning my next Camino!!

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Melissa - Congrats! Your words ring so true. We each experience our own Camino! I’ve walked alone and then twice with my wife (yes, I do know her pretty well). All three were excellent experiences! As I think about your comment, I also reflect back on meeting folks who were walking with friends from home. In more than one instance, tensions were high and their friendships were certainly put to the test. The challenge of the CF for an individual is more than many expect. Over such a long trek, the physical, the psychological, and the spiritual dimensions all get pushed to a number of new limits. Adding a friend or companion into the formula seems to put other issues on the table from what I’ve observed. Other than walking with my spouse, I, too, would choose to go alone. Thirty plus days by myself was such a rewarding experience that I don’t believe would have been the same had I been with one of my best buddies. Although many of us have very good friends whom we believe we know quite well, few of us have spent over a month, day after day, with that person under some tough conditions. You make an excellent point about going solo. Glad you’re already planning your next Camino. So am I! Buen Camino!

3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I had problems on my most recent Camino. These were caused by my going solo. I did an entry here titled "Why I Quit" about it.

From your post it isn't clear what went less than perfectly for you. But you are doing the exact same things they I am doing now "Thinking about it and wanting to go back".

This is why walking the camino never ends.

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Melissa

Sometimes it takes a while to realise the benefits of walking a Camino – And it sounds like you had some issues with your walking partner which might have taken the edge off the There and Then !!

I have walked some Camino’s alone and others with friends and associates and can see advantages as well as disadvantages with both – But one thing for certain, you might Think you know someone at the beginning of a Camino – But by the end, you will Really know them !!

I wonder which Camino you are thinking of next ?? There are a lot to choose from !!

I look forwards to reading your next Camino Report, where hopefully Everything will have gone as you hope.

Best Regards

Rob

5. Melissa

Melissa Member

Thank you RJS!
    I am thinking of finding the shortest way this time, due to my work schedule, but....I really loved the French way and I feel comfortable there, so I may just go that way again. I have to talk with my boss! I keep reading posts and looking at all the photos! I am not sure why, but I just miss it. I didn't think I would, but I do.
    In spite of my walking partner, I did have a great time. I have so many great memories. There is something I cannot find the words for: the Camino is just so magical and so loving.

danvo, Ginamarie, RJS and 1 other person like this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Many people do return to walk the same Camino again, and sometimes again and again :)

But – Personally, with so many routes to choose from, I preferred to combine my own Camino walking experiences with seeing new places and sights !!

But you are completely right in your approach of seeing how much time you will have available before you plan your route – I have seen far too many Camino’s Ruined by people trying to squeeze a given route into too short a timeframe – So once you have your time off sorted out, you can progress to planning :)

Good Luck and Buen Secunda Camino

Rob

7. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Go Melissa . My addiction to the camino is going to send me broke as I live in New Zealand. It is truly a wonderful place. God bless.

8. KateM

KateM New Member

Hi Melissa....I understand your comments so well. I walked with 2 buddies after planning for 2 years and training together for 6 months prior...but nothing prepares you for the day to day of being together. Yes there were times when I wanted to ditch one or the other, but these were more than balanced by the laughter and fun times, the companionship and the unspoken bond that held us together. I wouldn't walk with my husband, this is MY thing and gives me my difference within my long and beautiful marriage. All 3 of us are planning our next camino together in 2019 and can't wait. I think if there isn't something that irritates you about a buddy, then maybe you don't know them well enough...yet! None of us are perfect, thank God! The Camino is a real blessing and once it's in your blood, as it seems to be with you, then returning is the only option. Alone, with a spouse or a buddy, it's your Camino, a meditation for your soul. Enjoy and reflect on all that it brings.

9. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey All - I know a number of us have walked the Camino solo, but let me encourage thinking about doing this trek with your spouse. It was an amazing experience walking the CF solo for all the reasons that many of us have extolled on this Forum. However, walking with my wife on two other Caminos to date has been just as rewarding. They’re two very different types of experiences. Both have certain positives and negatives, but that goes with an travel experience. I know from this Forum that both Bob and Greg have shared the Camino path with their wives and, I believe that I’m correct, with very positive outcomes. For a couple able and interested in sharing this adventure, it opens up even new insights about oneself and each other even after many years of marriage. Very different, yet growth promoting, challenges await the couple walking the Camino together. My plans for 2019 include two more Caminos: one solo; one with my wife. Ah, the best of both worlds! Buen Camino!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  10. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I agree with Wily here, I have not done a solo, but CF in 2015, and CP this Sept with my wife. I would not even be able to imagine doing it without her. I loved every step. Wouldn't want to do it with anyone else. Can't think of any negatives. The memories are so positive, and the shared laughs made every step light.

Melissa, Crepes4Suzette, Wily and 3 others like this.
  11. Dinah

Dinah Member

Well saud Wily. My sentiments exactly

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  12. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Not on this subject but my daughter has registered to join and it does not seam to be any new members since 19 Oct, Do you all think there is some thing wrong or is it my computer also yes Wander I so wish my wife was able to do it with me also..

Canadian Wander and UnkleHammy like this.
  13. Melissa

Melissa Member

Thank you, Terry!!

14. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I have to say, my wife is my life, she really has made me a better man, and the thought of this walk without her would be too much.

danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  15. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@Canadian Wander lack of a wife with me was one reason I quit my most recent Camino. Without her was too much.

danvo likes this.