Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

I Need Help On Getting That First Stamp.

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by mjfisher02, May 8, 2017.

1. mjfisher02

mjfisher02 New Member

It is finally official as of a few weeks ago. We fly to Porto on June 22. As I have mentioned before, I am starting my Camino straight out of the gate of the airport. I already have my pilgrim passport, and I am set to start this trek. My biggest concern now is where to get my first stamp. I am not going into Porto to start the trek because I am already halfway to my first stop at Vila do Conde. I really don't want to backtrack just to get a stamp so I can get a bed in Vila do Conde. Is there any place I can get a stamp before my first stop, or do we actually have to 'check-in' at the cathedral? Once I get the first, I am good all the way to Santiago.
    Yes, I have heard that Porto is a great place. And I plan on staying in the city, but not until the end of the trip before we head to the airport for the return home.

Wily likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey MJ - There is no rule that I'm aware of that states that your first stamp has to be from a cathedral, a Pilgrim's Office, or any other particular place. In fact, because a number of albergues sell credenciales, your first stamp might in fact come from where you purchase it. As the sellos indicate your route of travel including its origin, just stop in at a cafe/bar before you leave Porto near or after the airport (you'll be ready for a good cup of cafe con leche by then anyway) and get a stamp there. On the CP, every place we stopped had a stamp to offer pilgrims if they wanted one. For us, and this, too, is a personal choice, we collected two to three sellos a day more as a souvenir of our journey to look back upon. Others, may only get there passport stamped once a day at albergues. That's completely up to you. When you arrive at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago, they will be able to tell that your start was in Porto based on your first stamp. Buen Camino!

IMG_0604.JPG

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    oldman and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. Bisnick

Bisnick New Member

If you walk out of the airport and walk out on the south side you can walk straight across to the coast at Cabo Do Mundo, about one hours walking. Once on the boardwalk there are many cafes who will be more than happy to assist with a stamp. My first stamp last year after Porto was the Bar Pedras Do Corgo which is about 3k north of this point but there are many before that bar.
    Try passport control as well, they may be feeling good and assist, don't hold your breath though!!

4. mjfisher02

mjfisher02 New Member

Excellent. Thanks.

PS - Sorry Wily, no leche for me. I am leche-intolerant. It sucks.

Wily likes this.
  5. Rick Russell

Rick Russell New Member

Fellow pilgrims, I am starting the Portuguese way in mid august. I happen to be in Portugal now and stopped by starting point igreja by St. George's castle twice and it is completely shuttered up. Does know if it still opens. Would be great to get the first stamp there.