1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Doing The Camino Frances Starting May The 14th. Anyone Doing It?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Brubru, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Brubru

Brubru New Member

Hello, my first post. I'm doing the Camino solo and checking if anyone else is doing it. I'm a bit behind on the preparation front having only practised walking with a heavy backpack so far. Any tips would also be welcome! I've got my guide and that's about it!!! Have read a bit here too but lots of info so a bit confused.

Jung-Hi likes this.
  2. William franks

William franks New Member

Hi Brubru. I get to Madrid May 10 and I am thinking of spending that first night in Pamplona then on to stop for the next night in sjpp. This sets up a May 12 start but could easily become May 13 so we are close. I would enjoy meeting you at some point along the way.

Crepes4Suzette and Brubru like this.
  3. Brubru

Brubru New Member

That would be nice! Is it your first time? I'm not ready yet, I'll be following the John Brierley schedule of 33 days hopefully. How long are you taking? I'm mostly insecure about the first part starting at SJJP and through the Pyrenees not sure if there will be lots of people walking at that time.

4. William franks

This is my first. I intend to roughly follow the 33 day schedule but I do want to have some days off when I discover a place where I want to spend some time. Yes the start seems challenging but if the weather allows I want to make it over the first day. Only then will I find out if I am ready. How are you intending to get to SJJP?

Ashna Maharaj and Brubru like this.
  5. Brubru

Brubru New Member

That's a good point "only knowing if you are easy once you start".... I've checked flights to Biarritz but not bought yet. Initially I was planning to go on the 13h but being a Friday and all, I'm a bit superstitious lol

6. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Brubu,

I started in SJPP in May in 2014 and 2015 and there were plenty of others walking the Route Napoleon, so I reckon you will have lots of company.

Buen Camino,

Mike

7. Brubru

Brubru New Member

That's reassuring Mike! Thank you! So not coming this year then?

8. Devon Mike

Yes I am! Will be starting in SJPP on the 18th of May and walking to Santiago, Muxia, Finisterre then walking back to Santiago. 628 miles and 42 days to do it.

9. JWNewelll

JWNewelll New Member

I'm starting from SJPD on May 19th. with my granddaughter. I have walked 1999, 2006, and 2012. From Roncevalles we take a bus to Pamplona as I dislike the two stages before So we start our walk from Pamplona. So may run into Brubu.

Brubru likes this.
  10. ToniR

ToniR Guest

Hi! This is my first post as well. I am leaving from SJPP on Friday 5/13 (not thinking about the date and trying not to be superstitious!) and walking with my son and possibly my daughter. This is our first time walking the Camino and we are very excited! Hopefully we will meet you guys on the trail.

11. JWNewelll

JWNewelll New Member

Hope we see you also. Buen Camino

12. William franks

I still am somewhat up in the air about how I will arrive which would determine if I start the 12th or the 13th. I do want to arrive at SJPP and spend the night before an early, for me, start. Will you do that as well? How are you planning to arrive? I am excited about meeting new friends along the way.

13. Tom V

Tom V Member

I did the Camino Frances starting last May 11th. My adventure, including some of my training is chronicled here: tomswalk.com. It’s in reverse order so you’ll need to scroll back to the beginning to see my experiences. There may be some information there that will be useful to you and you’ll certainly get a sense of the weather.

And Hola Mike! Hope you have another great Camino this year! Tom

Devon Mike likes this.
  14. Peter Draper

Peter Draper New Member

My wife and I start from Logrono on May 21st. Due to age, fitness and time constraints we decided to miss the first bit so as to (hopefully!) reach Santiago around June 20th. Really looking forward to starting now. Only 6 weeks to go! We're able to travel by train to Irun in N. Spain, then by bus to Logrono. Flying back to Manchester via Madrid.

15. Devon Mike

Thanks Tom. 6 weeks today I will be starting from SJPP. :)

16. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

Ah, you are starting one day after me Mike! Under six weeks to go!!
    Hopefully bump into you en route! :)

Elizabeth

Devon Mike likes this.
  17. Elizabeth89

Elizabeth89 Member

Hi BruBru,

What date will you be starting then?

Elizabeth :)

18. Devon Mike

May well meet somewhere on the road.

Buen Camino. :)

19. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day Brubru,
    We walked our first Camino this time last year. We looked at the recommended stages from the Breiley "bible". It is very popular on the trail - see the pic below:). We knew straight away it would be too demanding for us. There are some big days for a 33 day pilgrimage. We took 42 days and made some stops to break the big days up a bit. We rested in Pamplona because we were like you - not experienced walkers - we rested in Burgos and again in Leon. These were big town with lots of history and spirituality to soak up while we rested. But, one thing we enjoyed most about our Camino was not knowing too much about what to expect, we just soaked the spirit up as we walked along. There are plenty of people along the way to share your journey, they all have different reasons and plans, but the one spirit drives them all - Buen Camino & Ultreya. Enjoy the blissful unknowing.
    Gerry:)

Attached Files:

20. William franks

I have locked in a reservation at Beilari in SJPP for the night of May 12 so as to begin on the 13th. That could easily change because I get to Madrid on the 10th and have the flexibility to start sooner. The weather forecast might influence that. I look forward to meeting my new best friends on the trail.

21. Ashna Maharaj

Ashna Maharaj Ashna Maharaj

Wow - Devon - how do you walk every year? Why?

Brubru likes this.
  22. Devon Mike

I love long distance walking and have done it all my life. The Camino is truly unique, so now I am retired I love to spend around 2 months there every year.

Sarahlr, Brubru and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  23. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi William. This plan worked out well for me last year. The only things I'd add are: 1.) if you're going to Pamplona by ALSA bus, get a better map of Pamplona than the one in Brierley if you want to sightsee that day instead of just stay around the (very nice, by the way) bus station to wait for that day's Conda bus to SJPP. 2.) Leave plenty of time between your flight arrival time and your connection to Pamplona. Terminal 4 for the ALSA bus stop can be a good hike and not very well marked, and using the airport connector to get to the rail/big metro stations to catch the Renfe train was a bit tricky - to me, anyway. But the main reason to leave plenty of time (I left 3 hours between and ended up with only about 45 minutes of lag time), when I got to baggage claim, it was literally 1 hour 15 minutes later that the belt started rolling and the luggage came out - no one standing around seemed to think this was unusual. And 4.) If you're not used to strong coffee, don't drink a cup and THEN get on an ALSA bus. They're huge buses, but unless you're taking an ALSA-Suprema (very long-distance bus) - which the bus I took to Pamplona was NOT, there are NO BATHROOMS on board. The drivers stop every 2 or 3 hours, and this bus makes a regular station stop once about 30 minutes before Pamplona, but it would be wise to have a way to tell the driver in Spanish if you absolutely need to make a pitstop:0))!! The trains do have bathrooms between the cars, which works out well.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    William franks and UnkleHammy like this.
  24. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

This year I'm doing the same and likewise found those two days less enjoyable than most - good for meeting new pilgrims, and the community spirit is lively, but there isn't much scenery and the lodging options are limited - I managed to get a booking at El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri, which was very, very lucky and an excellent place to stay. My favorite part of the day between Roncesvalles and Zubiri was heading out in the dark on the wooded path and then emerging in Burquete at dawn at a delightful breakfast place where about 50 pilgrims were getting breakfast.

Buen Camino to you and your granddaughter! What a wonderful experience for both of you!

Brubru likes this.
  25. Marie Sweden

Marie Sweden New Member

Hi,
    I am starting around the same date. planning to leave Sweden on the 11th via London and Biratz. Dont want to plan an exact date for putting the first foot on the trail. My thinking is that there will be plenty of hikers :) and very little rain... Hopefully. See you on the track! I cant wait to get started! Buen Camino!

Brubru and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  26. William franks

Crepes4Suzette. Thank you for the heads up on getting out of Madrid airport. I am planning to go by train to Pamplona and have booked a place there near the train station for the first night. No train ticket yet and I have to figure out how to get to the station so I still have work to do. I don't suppose there is anyone else out there going that way on May. 10th? And I will definitely go for the strong coffee before I leave the airport.

Brubru and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  27. Brubru

Brubru New Member

Great Marie! I might see you around. I'm going solo too and to begin with is a bit daunting! But yes not much rain and many pilgrims along the way ;-)

28. Brubru

Brubru New Member

I'm starting on the 14th of May William so we might meet along the way!

29. Brubru

Brubru New Member

I'm starting on the 14th of May William so we might meet along the way!

30. Brubru

Brubru New Member

That's lovely!!! So reassuring to know I already have fellow pilgrims walking with me :). It's looking like Christmas Eve already ;-)))). JWNewell