Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Important Notice Regarding The Albergue In Roncesvalles

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Greg Canning, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi all

It appears that the albergue in Roncesvalles has announced that with immediate effect it will not in the future be providing beds in its overflow and that there will only be 183 beds available each night. Given there can be up to 300 walkers leaving St Jean each morning peregrineos may wish to consider reserving ahead.

https://www.facebook.com/ColeRoncesvalle/

There is a hotel in Roncesvalles and, according to the Colegiate, further beds available in the nearest village of Burguete though it is another 3 Kms further on. Not sure I'd fancy 3 more Kms after what is an already tough day.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Wow, that's a big change that could affect a number of pilgrim's on a daily basis!

Unless this too has changed, you were able to make reservations at the Coligiate. It's not as easy to do as at other places, but it is possible. When I enquired, I was told to do either a bank transfer or credit card information in an email. Neither were great choices! I'd suggest contacting them to see how this could be done now.

Although Burguete is only another 3 km, believe me that after a hike over the Pyrenees, those might be really long kilometers to add on to an already full day. From what I could see on Gronze.com, most of the accommodations were casa rurales or a hotel and a hostel. There doesn't appear to be any really cheap sleeps in town. That would be of concern to anyone on a tight budget.

My best advice would be to get to Roncesvalles as early in the afternoon as possible. I, too, left SJPP in a day when 300+ other pilgrims were hiking over the Pyrenees. I was one of the early afternoon arrivals at 1:15 so there was no problem getting a bed. Had there not been the overflow capacity accommodations, that would have caused a significant problem for many arriving later in the day.

Thanks for the information Greg.

3. Greg Canning

Totally agree Wily. This new arrangement comes into effect immediately and with the 1st of May holiday coming up soon there is the possibility that a lot of peregrinos will be very disappointed.

This is the link to the Albergue's reservation page
    http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I just sent out an email for the night of 13 May.

Crepes4Suzette and Greg Canning like this.
  5. Wily

Hey UnkleHammy - Please let us know what they tell you about pre-paying the reservation. I'm curious to see if it has changed any from last year.

If you check out the information page on the Roncesvalles website page that Greg supplied, they clearly state that there are now only 183 beds and that after that one needs to look to neighboring towns. Argh!

http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/informacion.php?idG=1

UnkleHammy and Greg Canning like this.
  6. UnkleHammy

And you think that I will suddenly go silent?

Wily likes this.
  7. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    People should start in Roncesvalles instead of SJPP. If too complicated to get there or there are no beds available, start the Camino from Pamplona for example. Nowhere does it prescribe that one has to start the Camino Frances from SJPP. Apart from that, it can be easier to fly into Pamplona and bus up the mountain, rather than commuting through France to SJPP and struggle over the Pyrenees with a jet lag. If one insists to cross a mountain on a Camino, there are other places (like Somport, for example) which have far less "mountain fans" to deal with. Jaca has plenty of accommodation, with the Camino Aragones skirting Pamplona, and is better served by bus from Pamplona (airport). Santiago never asked where the pilgrimage was started!

Josh unçu and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Means a little more planning will be needed whether for accommodation or route, especially during the more popular months. Thank for passing that on Greg.

Crepes4Suzette and Greg Canning like this.
  9. JTD

JTD Member

Home Page:
    Is there any reason given for the closure of the overflow? Not that I matters really - it is what it is. I was lucky in 2012 to arrive at 4pm and still get a bed but I don't much fancy taking a chance and walking over the Pyrenees only to find I have nowhere to sleep unless I walk further! Perhaps I will start my Camino further along this time. Thanks for the heads up!

Greg Canning likes this.
  10. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

The answer is simply break the journey in Orrison ,then the next day walk trough Roncesvalles.

David Fletcher and Greg Canning like this.
  11. Wily

Hey Oldman - I don't disagree with you in principle, but the reality is that Orisson only has 28 beds. With 300+ pilgrims leaving SJPP during the busier months, accommodations at this one albergue won't relieve much of the pressure caused by significantly fewer beds in Roncesvalles.

I suppose that starting beyond Roncesvalles is an option, but to miss the climb over the Pyrenees would be disappointing. If I had to point to a single day on the CF that was most meaningful, it was the SJPP to Roncesvalles stage. For me, it set the tone for everything else to come along The Way.

Not sure what the solution is to this situation other than paying higher prices for hotels and casas rurales in Roncesvalles or Burguete. Still, going beyond Roncesvalles on the same day one leaves SJPP sounds like an undertaking most won't look forward to.

Josh unçu, davebugg and Greg Canning like this.
  12. UnkleHammy

Last night I got this message:

"Puede realizar su reserva online desde la pagina web:

www.alberguederoncesvalles.com

pinchando la pestaña de reservas

pinchando el icono ¡HAZ TU RESERVA AQUI!"

Using Google translate I think that I have successfully reserved a bed for one night. Many of the steps on the Rochavalles site did not get translated by Google, but I do feel as though all will work out.

13. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

I'd be tempted by a nice little Pyreneen wild camp a few miles before Roncesvalles, but then I'm a nutter. :D

14. Wily

Hey UnkleHammy - If you filled out and submitted the relatively simple form, I believe you have pre-reserved a bed. However, this line below tells me that they won't confirm your reservation before you do an online payment:

"una pre-reserva que se confirmará en el momento en que usted realice el pago on line"

If you submit the form, does it then take you to a payment page?

Last year when I enquired at the Colegiate, they required pre-payment for a bed to be reserved. From their website, I don't see how to do it.

I just checked out accomodations in Roncesvalles on Booking.com. If one is not staying at the Colegiate, there is nothing cheap in town or nearby.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  15. UnkleHammy

I think that I got it all OK. I checked my credit card account and it was charged corectly.

Wily likes this.
  16. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

UnkleHammy, I made confirmed reservations months ahead both years, but the second year there was a nice young Italian hospitalero at the desk who didn't understand "Tengo una reserva"or "I have a reservation" and he kept trying to tell me there were no beds left except in overflow. Finally another hospitalero nearby understood and they found my reservation in the computer. It might help to copy that payment information and carry it just in case, especially since beds will be tight. I'm looking forward to hearing news of your new Camino!!!

17. UnkleHammy

Done. I always make screen saves, or similar, when making reservations. When they send a confirmation I print it out and dump it when I check in. I have been traveling before.

Greg Canning and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  18. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I initially contacted the albergue via the email address listed in Wise Pilgrim. I was informed that I could make reservations directly, as Uncle Hanny noted. I made a reservation for four of us and was also able to make a reservation for the 7 pm meal. I placed the reservation on my credit card and immediately received an email confirmation. I skipped a reservation for breakfast, since during our last camino, there was a long queue in the morning. We'll grab something in Burguete which is only 3 km from Roncesvalles.

19. Crepes4Suzette

Isn't that place in Burguete nice all warm and lively when you come out of the woods into Burguete early in the morning? They were doing a brisk business when I went through, and oh that pain au chocolat!!

20. Crepes4Suzette

Oh, I know you're a traveler, UnkleHammy. I only brought it up because the bed situation in Roncesvalles is as it is.

21. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up. Ive already booked my first night stay some 4Km after Roncesvalles as I thought it would be very busy..

22. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

I agree with you BUT Half the fun and adventure is to walk over the Pyrenees

23. Wily

Hey Condor - Yes, indeed! To miss the Pyrenees would be a shame! As tough as it is, it's such a great first day on the CF. Other than finishing the Camino, there's no greater single sense of accomplishment along The Way than going over the mountain.

Since reservations are now easily made in Roncesvslles, that's the solution for many. For the faster walkers, getting a bed will most likely not be a problem. However, if you think you're going to arrive later than mid-afternoon, a reservation is the way to go. In addition to not wanting to walk further, I found the first night in Roncesvalles one of the really special ones: first pilgrim's dinner, the mass, excellent accomodations, and we were awakened in the morning by a singing hospitalero. After arriving, sitting out on the terrace at Casa Sabina with new friends was great fun. It really did set the tone for my Camino.

24. Greg Canning

Hi John

I'm sure you know yourself best but I would just say to be prepared to be very tired. The climb over the Col de Lepoeder is pretty exhausting and I know I was pretty well done by the time we reached Roncesvalles on the day we crossed. I know I would not have been able to walk another 3 or 4 kms.

Best of luck and Buen Camino

Greg

PS I really wouldn't want to put anyone off the climb. Like Wily it is still one of my most memorable days on the Camino and an experience not to be missed.

25. Crepes4Suzette

There's probably a good reason why it's not possible (water trucks can deliver water, right?) but I've often thought that a simple albergue right at the top of where the road to Arneguy connects to the Napoleon would be a good place for an albergue.....the halfway point. Or actually anywhere else beyond that on the day through the Pyrenees.

26. UnkleHammy

But the views would be fantastic!

27. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

Hi Emery one: I am on the camino actualy leaving Logroño today. So far everything perfect bit I may say the amount of pilgrims is larger than years before, yerterday in Logroño most albergues full. Ultreia!!! Live from French way

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  28. Greg Canning

Until such time as there is alternative accommodation is available on the mountain those that think they won't do the crossing in one day could consider using Express Bourricot. They provide a shuttle that runs from St Jean to the Croix Thibault everyday with various stops along the way - http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

I know there are many good reasons for people staying in Orisson and/or using the shuttle service but for me, and I emphasise it is only my view, the feeling of achievement when you arrive exhausted to Roncesvalles having done the climb in one day is incredible. I have to say that I although I knew I couldn't walk another step, I felt absolutely wonderful (once I'd had a shower and a very large Gin n Tonic!).

Buen Camino all.

Greg

29. UnkleHammy

Last year I stayed at Orisson and then went on to Rochevalles. This year I will be using express bourricot to get to the croix thibault and then walk the rest of the way. Unless there is very bad weather in which I will just get a ride directly to Rochavelles.

30. Wily

Hey Unklehammy - Sounds like a great plan! I saw on the Bourricot website that you'll be dropped off at the Croix Thibault good time in the morning so you can leisurely enjoy rest of the way up the mountain and get into Roncesvalles early. I'm guessing you'll probably head down the road for the final 5 km. It's a most pleasant walk to the bottom where you then catch a flat trail that leads you right to the Colegiata. If it's a nice afternoon, enjoy a beer for me on the terrace of Casa Sabina! Buen Camino!

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.