1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Notice Regarding The Albergue In Roncesvalles

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Greg Canning, Apr 24, 2017.

1. leebs6

leebs6 New Member

I was told to book at least three months in advance, so they might be full. Worth calling them.

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

I have been trying to book my night in Roncesvalles for April 28th, 2018. I enter all of my information including credit card payment. It keeps coming back saying that the transaction is denied. I don't understand. I wonder if I have to let my bank know that I am requesting this transaction? Sheesh, seems odd. Any suggestions?

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Is it clear that they are functional now? Thus might be an idle time.

4. hindsfeet

I contacted my bank and all is well with them. But the Albergue in Roncesvalles said that it is my bank. I think that I have enough time to reserve before April 23rd. I will hold off for a while. You could be right, maybe it IS an idle time.

5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

I had this trouble the first time too, hindsfeet. They use a local bank for their transactions on their end that denies a good many transactions (or that's what they explained to me a few years ago). If you write directly to them via their email contact option and tell them what you want, they'll personally walk it through (Eduardo?). When you arrive, tell them you're in the computer/have a reserva. Some of the volunteers speak English and others don't, but there's usually one close by who has plenty of English and can translate. The second time I arrived, having made reservations months in advance, the staff at first tried to turn me away because he didn't understand that I had a reservation in the computer. "Tengo una reserva" is a phrase you'll probably use quite a bit!

hindsfeet likes this.
  6. Crepes4Suzette

It looks like their system for taking reservations online might have changed a bit, so I'm not sure if what I said will help, hindsfeet. If it becomes a big problem, there are other options, but you might be committed to staying there? Am I remembering correctly that you want to stay at Orisson on the first night out? You could conceivably walk from Orisson to Roncesvalles, rest, have a look around, and then go a couple of km onward to Burguete where there are good options for lodging and food. Keep trying, though. Roncesvalles is kind of a 4-star albergue with a laundry service and a very touching evening pilgrim's mass!

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. hindsfeet

Thanks Crepesy- I emailed them several times, but they said that I needed to contact my bank, because before they can give me a bed, I would have to pay for it. I told them that I am trying. I am going on vacation next Wednesday for two weeks. I will contact them again at that time and see if it works. But I will ask them if they can at least get me in the computer as you suggested. My plan is to walk straight to Roncesvalles. I arrive in Paris on April 24th. I will be staying at an airbnb for two nights right across the street from the Gare Montparnasse. I saw in one of your posts that you were a couple blocks away from there on your Camino. I thought that would be a fun stop to get acclimated to the time difference.
    Then take the train south. They said it is too far out yet to purchase train tickets. A few more things to take care of.....time is getting close now. I am terribly excited, but my knees are rebelling for some reason. Hope that it will take care of itself soon. Thanks again for your help!

8. Crepes4Suzette

Anytime, friend! That sounds like an excellent plan. Hopefully your knees are just getting used to being back in training:).

hindsfeet likes this.
  9. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Hindsfeet
    I know its very frustrating. I experienced a similar problem just recently on another matter. I know it will sound crazy, but I found the billing address on my credit card did not match my Home address. i used to make the payment. !!!!!!. Hence the bank were not recognising the address that I had given for the billing address and deigning the payment I do not know how this happened and you may wish to check this out.

I hope this helps

Raymond John

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  10. Janade

Janade New Member

The same thing happened to me. My credit card company didn't even see any queries coming through, so the problem wasn't with them, but (when I sent a message through the website) Roncesvalles sent me an email and said that they were not having issues on their end. He did suggest I send my credit card info via email, but that kind of thing makes me nervous. I sent an email directly (not through the website) and asked if I could pay via Paypal. He responded that was fine, but that it would be an additional 2 euro. For me, it was worth it to do it that way, have the reservation in place and not have to worry about it anymore.

hindsfeet likes this.
  11. hindsfeet

Thanks Raymond John....my billing address does match my credit card...hmmmm. I am on vacation right now, so as soon as I get back I will try it again. I am anxious to get THAT albergue booked. :D

12. hindsfeet

Thanks Janade, I might do the same thing after one more try!!

raymond john likes this.