Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Information On The Via De La Plata From Seville?

Discussion in 'Via Francigena - Pilgrimage to Rome' started by Ted, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Ted

Ted New Member

I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP in June, and had such a great experience, I decided to take another Camino to Santiago this September. After some good advise on the forum I decided to go on the Via de la Plata from Seville. So, if anyone has some good information and advise? Where would you start? Where do you get a passport? Are there any guides in English?

Thanks, Ted

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Ted

When I walked my own Via de la Plata, I started in Seville http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/3df43/

We were told to pick up our Credentials from the cathedral, but after trying a couple of times and finding the office closed we were told to go to the Bar Miami which is open most days until around Midnight, here you can get credentials that are issued by The Association of Friends of the Camino in Seville and these are accepted in the Refugio’s as well as in the Compostela office when you eventually reach Santiago.
    To find the Bar Miami, cross the Triana Bridge and keep walking; the bar is located half-way down the first commercial block on the left-hand side. It has a big sign that says "Miami".

We used the Cicerone “Via de la Plata” guidebook and backed this up with an earlier version of The Confraternity of Sot James’s http://www.csj.org.uk/product/the-camino-mozarabe-or-via-de-la-plata-part-a-seville-to-santiago/ - The former was full of inaccuracies so we were very thankful of the latter !!!

Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

3. Ted

Ted New Member

Thanks Rob. Your previous advise helped me in my decision on the VDLP.

I am flying into Barcelona and then catching a flight to Seville. I am getting to Barcelona late in the afternoon and am debating whether to catch a late flight to Seville or spend the night in Barcelona and then an early flight in the morning? I am not sure where to stay and then where to start in Seville to help in my decision?

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Ted – Pleased to be of help

If you don’t fancy flying from Barcelona to Seville, then have you considered taking the AVE –I had a look at a random date and the fare is 116 Euro and the journey time is an incredible 6 hours 18 minutes (This compares to 12 hours 26 minutes on the normal train) https://venta.renfe.com/vol/search.do?c=_eqRx – I took a trip on the AVE a couple of years ago and it’s AWESOME !!!

As for where to stay in Barcelona and Seville – That would really depend on your budget, but I find booking.com the pace to start looking :)

But you should start your walk at the Cathedral and get your first cello there :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

5. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Last year I walked the Camino Mozárabe from Malaga to Santiago and on to Finisterre. The Mozárabe joins the VdlP at Mérida. So although I can't give any advice on the VdlP between Seville and Mérida, from this point on I posted to my blog each day with descriptions of the route, lots of photos of the landscape and usually details of accommodation. You are very welcome to take a look here - check out from day 19.
    Buen Camino!

RJS likes this.
  6. gracethepilgrim

gracethepilgrim New Member

Born NZ, lived Aust and now Sevilla (Spain)
    Hi @Ted, you will love the VdlP (I hope :)).
    It’s really not necessary to have a guidebook - it’s well marked. You can download a wonderful accommodation list in the ‘resource’ section on this site (by @jirit and reguarly updated).

I second @RJS about staying centrally in Seville (near the cathedral) and then starting your camino from there. And also about taking the AVE train from Barcelona.

You can get a credencial in Seville from Hotel Simon (50m from the Cathedral) or from the Pilgrim association
    'Amigos del Camino de Santiago' C/ Castilla nº 82, Local. 41010 SEVILLA, Tel. 95 4335274 or 696600602 email: viaplata@viaplata.org or sevilla@viaplata.orghttp://www.viaplata.org
    They are on the righthand side of the street at number 82 on the ground floor, first door on your left. They were only open from 7-9pm April to October last time I was there but these times may have changed.
    They also sell a guide in English with maps (unfortunately quite heavy and cumbersome).

If you speak Spanish this is a great site (updated May 2016) http://www.godesalco.com/camino/plata

Have fun Ted and please get in touch via PM if you have any specific queries.
    Buen Camino, Grace

7. Ted

Ted New Member

Can anyone give me information on how the terrain is on the VDLP from Seville? As you can see, I use a two wheel hiking cart whenever I can as I have a bad back. I used it on the Francis and found it a little tough on some of the rougher steeper terrain but fairly good overall. I was planning to use a backpack but as I am packing at the last minute, I was reconsidering using the Wheelie again?

Thanks,
    Ted

8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Ted

My memories have dulled a bit with time, but from what I do remember of the day to day route, you will have less problems with your cart on The Via de la Plata than you did on The Camino Frances as from what I remember, much of the route is on either fairly wide dirt tracks or on minor tar-macked roads – Hopefully Magwood will post again to confirm this as she has walked the route a lot more recently than me

Good Luck

Rob

9. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I responded to Ted's private message as follows...

Hi Ted, sorry for the delayed response. I can't speak for the terrain between Seville and Merida, but I would think it might be challenging after Merida, particularly if the weather is wet. There are many places where you have to cross water on stepping stones (big granite blocks). I remember meeting a couple with a young child in a buggy and they had to turn back and find a different route. Although there are lots of stages with wide level tracks, there are equally many on rough ground and over boulders. I expect you could find a transport service if you wanted to send your pack ahead so that you didn't always (or ever) have to carry it.

I wish you a buen camino. The weather has cooled a lot the last couple of days here in Andalucia so the walking should be easier from Seville if it holds...

A bit at odds to @RJS' reply. I guess it would only take one difficult stage to put me off pulling a trolley. Also, I took the Sanabres alternative where there were several very rough tracks, continuing up to Astorga may be easier.