1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Injinji Toe Socks

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Wily, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

My biggest problem last year walking the Camino was blisters. At about Day 8, heading into Nájera, I started developing a blister on one of my toes. The problem only got worse as I changed my gait to accomodate the discomfort and by the next day when I reached Santo Domingo, I found that my toe blister now had friends on the balls of my feet. Yikes! A was taking the blister family along with me on my Camino!

Since returning, I've been researching and experimenting with different shoes and socks. This fall, I've been both hiking and running in Injinji Toe Socks. As the reviews by hikers and runners were great, I thought that I'd give themu a try. I've been wearing a cushioned mid-weight toe sock for hiking and their light-weight model for running. So far, so good! As odd as it felt to put a glove-like sock on my feet, I adjusted almost immediately to the difference. As these are also designed to wick moisture away from my feet, the result so far has been very positive and they look to be a keeper for my spring Camino.

Has anyone else tried these or have an opinion about the toe sicks for long distance hiking? Buen Camino!

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  2. luvtraveling

luvtraveling New Member

I've been using Injinji toe socks for my training walks. In fact, they are the only socks in my sock drawer. I love all their bright colors! I plan to use them in March when I walk from Lisbon. I'm not 100% sure they will prevent blisters as I think most of my problems stem from the way my feet and toes are shaped.

Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@Wily in summer and all hot weather months I strongly recommending to wear sandals (for Camino Frances)(I walked only C. Frances). Really. There only few kms for walking in shoes (so I carried my Merrels for it). I walked in sandals with my 13y old son from SJPP to Muxia and Finisterra ca 850 out of 900km. Best blister prevention.

4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Thanks Danvo. Teva hiking sandals are one of the new "shoes" that I've been breaking in since my last Camino. They feel great and I've already logged quite a few miles in them. So, for my spring Camino, my foot apparel is my biggest challenge: trail running shoes, Merrells, and Tevas are all under consideration. I will most likely travel with a combination of two of these along with the best socks that I think will work.

Gerry Vandermaat and danvo like this.
  5. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Hi @Wily
    I have been wearing Injinji toe socks and Vibram Fivefingers shoes for 5+ years.
    I walked the Camino Frances this year April 29 - June 6 wearing either the toe socks alone or paired with Wrights anti-blister socks depending on the weather; wore a good trail running shoe. 854.1km later, never (like not once) had a blister. Of course I also stopped often to air my feet, change socks and grease them with a good foot balm.

Well there you go, another opinion, hope it helps somewhat!

Buen Camino,

6. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day Danvo,

Due to a serious heel blister I was forced to wear sandals from Villafranca to Santiago. I didn't mind them too much, but picking up the pebbles all the time was a real drag. I am not sure what i would have done had we not had such lovely weather for the last 200kms. (hope the legs don't put anyone off :))

Attached Files:

Wily likes this.
  7. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

..of course, every stone in sandals during walk is annoying. But every blister in shoes much more :)

8. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Well, I endured both --- and am better for it :)

9. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Gerry just got to say those are so seriously sexy looks you got going on :p :D

10. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    T
    Yes - nothing more sexy than sandals and socks.

Wily and Tina-Marie Brownie like this.
  11. Tina-Marie Brownie

Home Page:
    So Gerry, should I be posting your sexy look on FB for your friends? :p You know us Aussies are always looking for ways to laugh at our friends haha :D

12. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    You can always send it to Cathy S. in California - she put me onto the shop where I bought this look in Sarria in 2015. ( i think you might know her??)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  13. Tina-Marie Brownie

Home Page:
    Oh I know her Gerry but I am thinking large scale almost media advertising campaign :p I mean lets face it with legs like that you shouldn't keep them a secret haha..... don't be shy and embrace the world :D