1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is late September too late to begin?

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by obinja, Apr 6, 2013.

1. obinja

obinja Guest

I completed the French Route this past fall....I'm thinking of the Via de la PLata but I can't start until late September from Sevilla. I'm pretty fit but definately not Wonder Woman. Any veterans out there of the route from Sevilla have any tips or suggestions?

2. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Late September sounds fine to me. You have a good chance of good weather, not too hot, not too much rain. You should be in Santiago for mid-November before the days start getting really short and the winter rolls in off the Atlantic.

If I was to pick an "ideal" date to leave Seville I think I'd say mid-September. So you're not far off that.

If you've any more specific questions please just post them and we'll try our best to help you.

Ger

3. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Hi just walked first leg from Sevilla to Salamanca was lovely weather, very quite loads of empty Albergues. Saw no crime at all am pleased to say. Start second leg from Salamanca to Santiago next thursday 18th July 2013. Good luck to all and Buen Camino Colin Scotland :)

4. Denis

Denis Guest

Hi, I arrive in St. Jean on 28/9 and start walking to Burgos on the 29th. Is anyone else starting around that date?
    Denis

5. pgaw

pgaw New Member

many albergues will closed down for the seasons starting november. the private albergues will add to the extra cost. maybe it will be a good idea for you to start in mid september or around the 20th. it will takeabout 5 weeks to walk from sevilla to sdc via sanabrea without any rest day. i walked this route during february of this year.

buen camino.

6. sulu

sulu New Member

Just bear in mind that in September Andalucía and Exremadura are likely to still be very hot, you will need to carry lots of water as it is not always available on the camino. By the time you get to Galicia the chances are that it will be wet and possibly chilly. So far this summer has been exceptionally hot in Galicia and it has only rained twice, the temperature in Ourense was 38 degrees yesterday. I don't imagine this can continue but it is the answer to a very cold spring so who knows:) Buen camino,Sue

7. sulu

sulu New Member

It's worth bearing in mind that in September it may still be very warm in Andalucía and Extremadura and you will need to carry plenty of water. By the time you get to Galicia it will probably be wet and maybe quite chilly. I walked in Galicia last September, it started very hot and ended very wet, at least one person had insufficient clothes and was not at all happy. This summer has been very hot and dry, the response to a very cold, wet spring, who knows what Autumn will bring, what I am trying to say is be prepared for anything. Buen camino.

8. I walked the Camino Frances last years starting ia the end of September, While it was hot in Andalucía, by time I got to the maintains past Astroga it was quite cool but a great time to walk. I am starting the Camino Portuguese on Sept 23 just a few short weeks.

9. michaelgrow

michaelgrow New Member

walking from SJPdP on 9-14 - looking forward to seeing you all
    Buen Camino!

10. cnissi

cnissi New Member

See you then. I leave the same day, though I am stopping at Orisson.

11. p_tom

p_tom New Member

I'm coming to this one a bit late, but I saw that pgaw says many albergues will close down for the season starting November.
    I think it's worth pointing out that you if you are concerned about albergues closing then, you just need to get over the border into Galicia by the start of November. The state-run Galician albergues, starting in Lubian are - as far as I know - still open (pretty much) all year. It's about 30 days to Lubian from Seville. I agree with Sulu that it can still be very hot in September, so best not to start any earlier. I started from Seville at the beginning of October (in 2010) and there were some very warm days.