1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kindness From Locals

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Many times I felt the hand of a local on my shoulder as I went into a cafe or at a table and they would say something in Spanish. It was real empathy and respect for what you were achieving. It was so appreciated.
    Has any one got similar stories. Lets hear them.

Corry, Paul McGranaghan, RJS and 3 others like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Terry - It wasn’t long ago that, to quote Danvo, that he said in a post, “it’s all about the people.” One major reason many of us have returned to the Camino is because of the people we have met along The Way. Although I’ve met so many gracious and loving folks around the world in my travels, the Spanish and Portuguese seem in a special category all of their own. I, too, felt that same “appreciation” you mention. Taking with me the humble attitude that I’m a guest in their home seems to open so many doors to that special experience that I would wish for every pilgrim. History, architecture, geography, customs and food aside, walk the Camino for the unique human experience it offers. Great thought for a thread Terry! Buen Camino!

anniem, Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

On my Camino when I got dehydrated, some local nurses walked by on a "day walk". They did most of the talking when I called 112 to get my sorry tail out of there. So I have had volunteer help from the locals.

Others have had problems with other walkers. At least one quit when someone that didn't like Trump threw something at him.

Paul McGranaghan, RJS, Wily and 2 others like this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Many Many times Terry.

Way back on my very first Camino I noticed the Huge difference between the attitudes of local people towards me when Camino walking compared to when I had simply been holidaying in Spain – Many locals revere Pilgrims whereas they just put up with holiday makers !!

A Fantastic example of how locals are willing to bend over backwards to help pilgrims happened to us while walking The Cami San Juan Uno – We walked into a small town called Castellnou de Seana and happened upon “The Bar Modern” and as thirsty pilgrims, went inside to rehydrate :)

It was late afternoon and as soon as the owners found out that we were pilgrims someone was dispatched to find the key for the local sports-hall which also doubled up as The Case de Peregrino – Then, as there wasn’t a restaurant in town and The Bar Modern usually only served food mid-day to mid-afternoon and then closed by early evening, arrangements were made for the cook to come back in and reopen the kitchen and cook us all our dinners, but we were pre-warned that the bar would close as soon as we had eaten ;-)

Then a van turned up and we all piled in and were transported to the sports-hall on the edge of town where we all took showers, changed and then headed back to The Bar Modern for our dinners – The food was Excellent and unbelievably inexpensive – Then as we were all having such a good craic (Please see attached photo) the bar stayed open and it must have been close to 11 when we rolled out and headed for our beds

I have had similar experiences to this many times, and only use this as an example of the fantastic hospitality that I have found on the vast majority of my Caminos

Best Regards

Rob
    large_45678955076863-A_Memorable_..n_Zaragoza.jpg

Corry and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  5. Terry Wilson

What a fantastic memory Rob we have to wonder how they do it. You are right there is a reverence sown by many locals to us pilgrams.
    In Sarria ( I think) I sat at a cafe outside, just as you get into town on the side street leading to the main street Having got a glass of beer. This was quite a flash cafe and at the next table sat a man with friends I would say he was the owner from the interaction he had with the passing staff. So as I started to get up out of my seat with my empty glass, he gestured to me to sit down and in good English asked me where I was from and more importantly where I started from, When I said st jean pied de port he got up and took my glass and brought back a full glass of beer.I gestured to pay for it and he would have non of it. I felt so proud of myself.
    god bless.

Corry, UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

My wife and I were travelling through one of the Spanish cities in 2015 on our first Camino, following those blessed shell markers in the sidewalk, when we decided to make a stop to eat.
    We stood on the path, looking around to decide which direction best suited our eating adventure, then left the sidewalk, and wandered up an alley. Now, I know I look confused when hungry, but I must have been really hungry, as this Oder gentleman, picture a shorter, stoop shoulder man in a thread bare suit jacket and walking stick, yelled over to us. When I looked, I thought he was calling to another couple, so turned away and kept walking. This man walked over very quickly, and got a grip on my sleeve, and while rapid fire Spanish speaking, he literally pulled me back to the walk, pointed to a shell marker in the sidewalk with his cane, and pulled me along to the next, pointing on into the distance. It was very clear he thought I was lost and confused, and was showing me 'the way'. I have to say, that really melted my heart. So, my wife, still laughing at me, and I had to continue down the sidewalk, lunch would have to wait!
    Angels come in many sizes, shapes and ages.
    BTW...I really wasn't lost! I really was just going for a meal, honest!

Corry, hindsfeet, Wily and 1 other person like this.
  7. UnkleHammy

@Canadian Wander yeah that is what they all say, I'm not lost I'm just..........

8. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Honest, I only wandered off track once...maybe twice,or more...and often involving food.
    Or dark, lost in the dark doesn't count...

danvo likes this.
  9. UnkleHammy

hindsfeet, danvo and Canadian Wander like this.
  10. Terry Wilson

Ha Thats good Unkle I will remember that next April with my daughter.

danvo and UnkleHammy like this.
  11. Paul McGranaghan

Paul McGranaghan Member

Absolutely.
    I felt this too in Portugal, when I was lost in a city and a random local offered me help. He actually went out of his way to walk across a town square to help. As I said goodbye to him he said 'God Speed', which sounded very stately and cheered me up.
    Elsewhere in Portugal, just north of Porto, a woman told me of a detour parallel to the main path that I could take in order to get to walk along the beach and enjoy the sea!

RJS and UnkleHammy like this.