Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Le Puy Route - Anyone Out There?

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by Walking Jules, May 22, 2017.

1. Walking Jules

Walking Jules New Member

Hi All

I've just joined this community, as we are off to complete another section of camino over the next couple of weeks.

So I was wondering if there is anyone out there on the Le Puy route at the moment, and - of so - what conditions and volume of pilgrims are like?

All the best

Jules

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  2. Walking Jules

Walking Jules New Member

Looks like we might be out there on our own?

Not to worry, we'll let you know how we get on. :)

Greg Canning likes this.
  3. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Hope you have a good and safe journey. I'll be very interested in know how it went.

Greg Canning likes this.
  4. Rob Hallam

Rob Hallam Member

Home Page:
    I started in Le Puy en Velay on Monday. The route has been good so far. Well marked. Probably about 80-100 pilgrims started the same day. Sorry, I didn't count the exact number ;)

Today was the first day that many pilgrims found trouble finding beds. So far I have made reservations 2-3 nights on advance and have not had any issues.

When do you start?

Rob

Buen Camino!

5. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I can't say what the route is like at this moment.

We walked from Le Puy to Conques in 2012. I found it very different from any of the routes in Spain. It was tougher going than I expected, a lot of steep but short hills - more like gullies. It was quiet then, we didn't meet many pilgrims during the day - not like the Camino Frances.

We book ahead each evening for the next night and that worked out great. The one night we did not book ahead we stayed in a convent - it was great.

The food was good, a local dish of potatoes mixed with cheese is worth trying.

There is a night tour of the Cathedral in Conques, well worth the effort.

I kept very few notes due to being exhausted every night - when we walked there was a heat wave and that made it all a bit more difficult - my Scottish blood does not do too well over 25 C.

oldman likes this.
  6. Walking Jules

Walking Jules New Member

Thanks for all your responses!

We are now back after 9 days en route (Conques to Moissac), and have had a great time (at least as good as we have had on the Camino Frances or Le Puy route before). The weather was a bit mixed - pretty hot some days, rain on others (including Saturday, when we had an absolute deluge between Lauzerte and Moissac).

Interestingly, that rain made parts of the route quite tricky to negotiate - not just the presence of mud, but the fact it was sticky and very slippery, making hills up and down very awkward.

Overall, though, the route was quite busy, it being holiday time in France. We found most walkers/pilgrims to be French, with a few other nationalities encountered too (American, Canadian, Belgian) and encountered no other British walkers at all in the entire 9 days. And, even though quite busy, we could go for hours with just each other for company and not see another soul.

We also had some special times along the way, not least a number of evenings spent in great company.

In short, it is nothing like the Camino Frances, but a fantastic experience all the same - as it was last year when we walked Le Puy to Conques. I think it helps if you think differently about it too, or at least consider it a different type of experience - the best way to get the most out of it.

We are now looking to plan next years' section, and we can't wait!

All the best

Jules

Wily likes this.