Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Le Puy: Starting 2nd August!

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by Henry Drysdale, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Henry Drysdale

Henry Drysdale New Member

Hi all,

I'm starting from Le Puy on 2nd August, and will be walking for 7 days in total. I have a few questions - would be really grateful for any help!

1. What is the best guidebook in english for this leg of the camino? I have seen some posts about this but thought I would ask again to get an up to date opinion.

2. What is the best way to look up/book hostels or manage accommodation for this part?

3. I have a 'Pilgrim Record', which I got from the Confraternity of St James in London - is this the same as a 'Pilgrim Passport'?

Thanks!

Henry.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Henry

I can only answer question 3

That is a Yes – Credentials, Pilgrim Record and Pilgrims passport are all one in the same

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi @Henry Drysdale as far as I know there is only one book in English for this route, I bought it and didn't find it that useful.

There is a book in French which includes all the gites and hostels, it also has maps. This is the book that we used walking from Le Puy to Conques. We used this book to phone ahead on several nights, not all. I suggest you book ahead for the end of the first days walk, then you will find out as you go how busy it is.

The book in French is called Mien Mien Dodo - my spelling could be off here.

There were a few nights where we stayed in convents and monasteries, you do not have to book these, they have a lot of rooms and they are some of the most comforatable places to stay. One convent I stayed in even had wifi in all the rooms, very fast connection also which surprised me.

The first night in Le Puy we just turned up and found a hotel. We were lucky that it was also on the route right at the start, so we knew where we were going the next day. However it did not cut down in walking the next morning as we walked back to the centre of the town to visit the cathedral and get our passports stamped.

The pilgrims office is to the left hand side of the cathedral just before the main steps. It does not open until 10am.

I don't know if this is your first Canino. But this route is much harder than the Camino Frances. There are lots of steap gullies, I found it hard going, plus It was very hot when we walked.

4. Henry Drysdale

Great, thanks Rob :)

5. Henry Drysdale

Hi Leslie,

That's really helpful - thanks. Are the convents and monasteries also in that guide book? They sound great.

I'm arriving late on the saturday so it sounds like we'll do something similar and go get our passports stamped in the morning. Is that the only place to get passports stamped?

This is indeed my first Camino, and I've heard it's hard going! I've done plenty of walking before and I'm quite fit, so it should be ok... In theory!

Thanks again.

Henry

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes, they are in the guidebook.

You don't need to have your passport stamped before leaving Le Puy, we just wanted the one from the Cathedral and to visit their office - as I am always looking for information for my websites.

7. David Moores

David Moores New Member

My wife and I are planning to start from Le Puy in early April, 2016, as soon after Easter as possible. This is in part to avoid the Holy Week crowds. Will there still be lots of people on the trail? Will there be trouble in finding room in the gites?