1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving August The 10th Sleeping Bags And Boots

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

Hi all what temperature will I get at night from august to sept thinking of a sleeping bag and wondering what rating to get.
    Also just got some new boots they are very solid and are hurting my ankles. I wonder if they may break me before I break them. I have been using some flexible webbing boots and they are very comfortable .
    But I listened to an expert who said I have very flexible feet and so I should have solid boot support. I dont know if he is right what does the team think.
    I am getting very nervous now that we are down to the last six weeks of preparation
    Kind regards God bless..

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Terry July and August are hottest month, so you can take only cover blanket. In some albergues you can get additional cover in case of colder weather.
    For Camino you can take any your favorite trail runners, and/or sandals,etc because Camino is walking in countryside not hard trek. Heavy boots aren't necessary.

Wily likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Terry - I agree with Danvo that heavy hiking boots are NOT required. Fit and comfort are the two most important factors. I'm not sure what it means to have flexible feet. However, if these new boots hurt your feet, get something different for your Camino. Shoes are your single most important piece of gear. What have you worn in the past?

I walk in a light hiking shoe, the Merrell Moab GTX. It's a low cut, wide toe-box shoe that is most comfortable. I'm also a big fan of trail running shoes or hiking sandals as Danvo mentioned. I'm sure your "expert" meant well, but it sounds like he over-booted you for the needs of the Camino. Even if you need ankle support for your "flexible" feet, there are plenty of choices in high top hiking shoes that are lightweight and shouldn't hurt your feet. My advice: change shoes (now)! Buen Camino!

hindsfeet likes this.
  4. John Ciribassi

John Ciribassi New Member

I hiked in well broken in boots and they were great and we're one size bigger. If you use boots or shoes, be sure they are 1 to 1 1/2 sizes bigger than usual at least. Feet will swell and the downhill will be murder on your toes. My wife's we're too small and she bought trekking sandals in Pamplona and they worked great. Do, you don't need hiking boots...just what is comfortable with a good sole.
    John

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. mvanert

mvanert Member

Home Page:
    Ditch the sleeping bag, get a liner (or two, one to open and use as a bottom sheet and one to sleep in) and get trail runners half size too big and sandals for end-of-day and occasional pavement walking.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. Anderson

Anderson New Member

Very useful, thanks for asking the question Terry. I am also setting off in August (yikes)

NOQ1015 likes this.
  7. Keith Jones

Keith Jones New Member

I just returned from the Camino on 6/30 and actively walked from 5/19-6/27. I did need a sleeping bag the first 2 nights (SJPP and Roncesvalles), I shipped it to Santiago later and only used my liner the rest of the time.

As far as shoes/boots, I wore Keen low boots with liner socks and Smart Wool outer socks. I liked the toe protection and grip. Mine were new if Feb. (I blew the sole out of my trusty Vasque's) but they broke in easily and I had several hundred hours of wearing them on all kinds of surfaces. Only you will know what works for you. One tip, take your shoes and socks off as often as you can, don't worry, you won't be the only person. On a couple of the very hot days, I changed socks as mine were soaked through.

Good luck! Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy, Anderson and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Hey Keith - Great advice! Although I wore Keens on my first Camino, I switched over to the Merrell Moab GTX this year. As you said, shoes are very individual! For me, I found the Merrell gave me just a bit more room in the toe-box. It all depends on your feet as to what shoes will work best. Breaking them in is very sound advice! I wore mine for nearly 6 months to get them ready for a Camino. Good wool socks are a must! This year, I alternated between my Balega wool running socks and Injinji toe socks. Worked very well! Toe socks feel a bit strange at first, but they do a great job of keeping your toes from rubbing together and preventing blisters. The only other things that I would recommend to pilgrims would be to choose shoes that are waterproof. You can hit some pretty heavy rain at times. For this as well, consider carrying a pair of low-cut gaiters to help keep rain out of your shoes. I also use Superfeet insoles in my shoes for added support and stability. Finally, I apply BodyGlide to my feet every morning to help reduce friction. Happy feet; happy pilgrim!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  9. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Hi wily. I got the body Glide and find it works for all parts that can chafe. And the Injinji just rock. I have toes that fold underand go into overlap mode and the Injinji keep the friction minimal.. Bought them on your recommendation and thank you for it!

Wily likes this.
  10. Wily

Hey Kim - So glad to hear that you like both products. They've both worked well for me. As a runner, particular on my longer runs, Bodyglide prevents chaffing on numerous body parts! As for the Injinji, aren't they great! I may have the same toe thing going on as you do with hammer toes particularly on one foot. When I walked the CF, my first blister started on a toe. Well, no such problems on the CP this year. In any case, I found that toe friction was minimized if not totally eliminated wearing these socks. So, I wish you well on your Camino and hope that both the Bodyglide and the Injinji serve you well and make for comfortable walking. Buen Camino!