Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Leaving Tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jose, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jose

Jose Active Member

Dear Camino Friends,
    Tomorrow I leave. At long last the day has come. This is my last night in my home in beautiful San Miguel de Allende. From Mexico City tomorrow I fly direct to Paris, then TGV to Bayonne where I will spend the night and the next morning on to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Then off over the mountains on Sunday. I am packed. I have no idea how Wily got his backpack to 6 kilos. I have done away with half of the stuff i thought I might take...all super light weight, but still and it´s still a little too heavy. I need to be a 7.5 kilos. I am packing it all in a suitcase and checking it. I know this is against a lot of advice, but I have some post camino time and want some other clothes and this protects the backpack and takes care of my poles. Luckily, I am on a direct flight and have figured out how to get priority baggage service. So, I am thinking that everything will arrive. Fingers crossed. Will send the suitcase through to Ivar in Santiago and pick it up there. That´s my plan. Exuberant and a little in awe at what is happening. All in all it is a huge new beginning and chimes in with everything in my life right now. NEW PATHS.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I am Happy for you Jose :)

You have put a lot of work into planning your Camino and I am sure that you are just itching for the off.

I am also reasonably sure that your backpack (Inside your case) will also arrive safe and sound and in good condition. - But do keep your most valuable possessions with you as cabin luggage !!

So – All I can say is Good Luck and Buen Camino

Please pop up a post when you can so that we can follow your progress

Bet Regards

Rob

James Orrock, danvo and Greg Canning like this.
  3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Well Jose, they say good things come to those who wait, and here at last is the your Camino. I wish you a wonderful Camino and hope it brings everything you need.

I envy you that first step out of St Jean and up and over the Pyrenees. It is a difficult day but a wonderful experience. Take the time to stop and truly immerse yourself.

I start again from Fromista on the 25th so maybe, just maybe, our paths may Cross.

Buen Camino

Greg

PS, if you have time please don't miss the church of San Esteban at Zabaldika (between Larrasona and Pamplona). You won't regret the slight detour

4. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Good travels.

Greg Canning likes this.
  5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jose - NEW PATHS! What a wonderful attitude to carry with you on this journey. Your exhuberance and awe awe are special traits that will serve you well for enjoying your Camino. You've planned well! I would anticipate nothing but a most successful pilgrimage through northern Spain to Santiago.

Thanks for mentioning priority baggage service. I not familiar with it. Let us know how that works. You've got a long day ahead of you tomorrow from Mexico. Rest well tonight! Buen Camino!

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Please don't be a stranger, keep posting as you go.

Buen Camino!

7. Jose

Jose Active Member

I will! And will hope you experienced peregrinos don´t get bored with it!!

8. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hey Jose......wishing you a most wonderful Camino!! NOW.....if you are on the Ruta Dragonte...I will be with you in spirit!!! And....want to hear all about it, at least when you get home! Safe Travels

9. Jose

Jose Active Member

So great to hear from you! Now in the train station at CDG airport waiting for my train south. Can hardly believe it. Or better said feeling a little stunned with it. Listen, I am reading a fantastic Camino account. The Great Westward Walk. Amazing, amazing. The best I have read and I have read about 12 of them. So strong that I feel like I have to stop it so that I don´t try to relive his experiences. The author died of Lou Gehrig disease shortly after writing it. It is originally in Spanish but the English translation is superb actually.

10. Jose

Jose Active Member

Thanks Greg. I hope our paths cross. In Paris waiting for a train south. And yes San Esteban at Zabaldika is definitely on my path.

James Orrock and Greg Canning like this.
  11. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Buen Camino Jose

12. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Onwards and upwards along your new paths, Jose. Buen camino, my friend.

Greg Canning likes this.