1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving Tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jose, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Dear Camino Friends,
    Tomorrow I leave. At long last the day has come. This is my last night in my home in beautiful San Miguel de Allende. From Mexico City tomorrow I fly direct to Paris, then TGV to Bayonne where I will spend the night and the next morning on to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Then off over the mountains on Sunday. I am packed. I have no idea how Wily got his backpack to 6 kilos. I have done away with half of the stuff i thought I might take...all super light weight, but still and it´s still a little too heavy. I need to be a 7.5 kilos. I am packing it all in a suitcase and checking it. I know this is against a lot of advice, but I have some post camino time and want some other clothes and this protects the backpack and takes care of my poles. Luckily, I am on a direct flight and have figured out how to get priority baggage service. So, I am thinking that everything will arrive. Fingers crossed. Will send the suitcase through to Ivar in Santiago and pick it up there. That´s my plan. Exuberant and a little in awe at what is happening. All in all it is a huge new beginning and chimes in with everything in my life right now. NEW PATHS.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I am Happy for you Jose :)

You have put a lot of work into planning your Camino and I am sure that you are just itching for the off.

I am also reasonably sure that your backpack (Inside your case) will also arrive safe and sound and in good condition. - But do keep your most valuable possessions with you as cabin luggage !!

So – All I can say is Good Luck and Buen Camino

Please pop up a post when you can so that we can follow your progress

Bet Regards

Rob

James Orrock, danvo and Greg Canning like this.
  3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Well Jose, they say good things come to those who wait, and here at last is the your Camino. I wish you a wonderful Camino and hope it brings everything you need.

I envy you that first step out of St Jean and up and over the Pyrenees. It is a difficult day but a wonderful experience. Take the time to stop and truly immerse yourself.

I start again from Fromista on the 25th so maybe, just maybe, our paths may Cross.

Buen Camino

Greg

PS, if you have time please don't miss the church of San Esteban at Zabaldika (between Larrasona and Pamplona). You won't regret the slight detour

4. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Good travels.

Greg Canning likes this.
  5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jose - NEW PATHS! What a wonderful attitude to carry with you on this journey. Your exhuberance and awe awe are special traits that will serve you well for enjoying your Camino. You've planned well! I would anticipate nothing but a most successful pilgrimage through northern Spain to Santiago.

Thanks for mentioning priority baggage service. I not familiar with it. Let us know how that works. You've got a long day ahead of you tomorrow from Mexico. Rest well tonight! Buen Camino!

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Please don't be a stranger, keep posting as you go.

Buen Camino!

James Orrock, danvo and Greg Canning like this.
  7. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

I will! And will hope you experienced peregrinos don´t get bored with it!!

8. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hey Jose......wishing you a most wonderful Camino!! NOW.....if you are on the Ruta Dragonte...I will be with you in spirit!!! And....want to hear all about it, at least when you get home! Safe Travels

9. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

So great to hear from you! Now in the train station at CDG airport waiting for my train south. Can hardly believe it. Or better said feeling a little stunned with it. Listen, I am reading a fantastic Camino account. The Great Westward Walk. Amazing, amazing. The best I have read and I have read about 12 of them. So strong that I feel like I have to stop it so that I don´t try to relive his experiences. The author died of Lou Gehrig disease shortly after writing it. It is originally in Spanish but the English translation is superb actually.

10. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg. I hope our paths cross. In Paris waiting for a train south. And yes San Esteban at Zabaldika is definitely on my path.

James Orrock and Greg Canning like this.
  11. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Buen Camino Jose

12. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Onwards and upwards along your new paths, Jose. Buen camino, my friend.

Greg Canning likes this.
  13. AKay

AKay New Member

I was just wondering whether you went via the Dragonte - there seemed to be a lot of posts that were a little alarming. I did this route in 2012 - I went via the Dragonte - though the paths then were not well marked they were good paths. I left from Dragonte at 8am and was back down by 4pm. I went alone, it was Sept/Oct I took enough food and drink for the day but came across an open bar. I also came across quite a few tracks and roads and properties. There was never a long time between signs of civilisation. It was a beautiful days walking. I did not continue to O'Cebreiro but stayed in Herrerias. Whenever I had a decision to make about which way to go I just sat down and had a few minutes. Resisted panic and managed to find the way. I am going back in April/May 2018 to walk from St Jean to Leon due to time constraints. If I have time I will take the bus to Ponferrada and do the Dragonte again. If you are comfortable not walking every step you can get a taxi up to Dragonte and avoid a few strength sapping kilometres up a steep tarmac road. :)

14. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

We just returned from our second camino frances. My brother and his wife joined us for the full camino. They are in excellent shape and decided to hike the Dragonte route - for the scenic views and also as a indicator how prepared they are for the hike to La Faba and O'Cebreiro. They did fine on the Dragonte route, but said it was more challenging than they had expected. The weather was clear, so they were rewarded with wonderful views.

15. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Well, no Dragonte this time. I would have done it if I had had someone with me that was up to it too. I will hold it as a ¨next time kind of thing¨and would still love to do it. Having said that the climb to O Cebreiro was a very nice challenge!! Still the Dragonte calls to me. So amazing that you did it.

AKay, Greg Canning, hindsfeet and 2 others like this.
  16. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Jose, you know that the Dragonte calls me as well. But what I am finding out as I am planning my Camino in April.....is that I have to cross some of my list off. :D You can't fit all of the places you want to explore in one trip. Looking forward to hearing more of your adventure! Safe Camino to you!

17. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

I know it does! Of course, the reality of the situation is that you have anyway ahead of you the absent to O Cebreiro and that is truly a big challenge, too. Still I would love to do the Dragonte. I would need a like spirit and then, you bet! Especially after having done the usual climb to the top. I am now about 45 kilometers from Santiago. Have walked more than 750 KMs. I can hardly believe it. You are going to love it. One of the most memorable experiences of my life, my the one.

hindsfeet, AKay and Wily like this.
  18. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Way to go Jose! It will also be an emotional moment when you get your first glimpse of the Santiago Cathedral. With any amount of luck, you'll see the Botafumeiro at the Pilgrim's Mass. Enjoy rest of your stay in Spain after such a great accomplishment. ¡Buen Camino peregrino!

hindsfeet and Greg Canning like this.
  19. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wily, as I said I am feeling like a kid waiting for Christmas Eve. It has been amazing and so important for me. By the way I am now without a sleeping bag, as it was one of the heavier things in my backpack. So, I gave it away. It has been no problem. I have my silk bag liner still and there are blankets everywhere and sometimes I treat myself and stay in a Hostel, not an Albergue and then you have everything. It was however a really nice sleeping bag!

Greg Canning, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  20. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Jose, your comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a pilgrim named Michael from Ireland. He was walking the caminos in sections, when he had a week available. His plan was to pay more for private rooms to get a good night sleep - and also to avoid bringing any sleeping bag, sleep sheets, inflatable pillow with him. Nor do you need to worry about bringing along a wrap, pajamas or gym trucks to preserve some modesty around other pilgrims.

During our recent camino, we did stay in several municipal and private albergues with multiple beds. However, we also stayed in several places with private rooms as well. It sure was nice to leave our sleeping bags / fleece sheet in our backpacks and enjoy clean sheets. There were several places we stayed at for 35 to 40 euros per couple which were very nice. Next camino, we will leave our sleeping bags behind and book private rooms the entire camino frances, including Roncesvalles ! Bob

Ginamarie likes this.
  21. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

I agree, Bob! I have stayed in all kinds of places and never really did I need my sleeping bag. Even in Albergues there were always blankets. I am sure there are some without them, but I didn´t hit them. The silk liner was super and I forgot to mention I gave my inflatable pillow away and put my puffy jacket which I used every evening and sometimes in the mornings in a pillowcase I brought and it helped me survive the sometimes uncomfortable Spanish sausage pillows. Also the replacement for Body Glide which I couldn´t find in Spain is made by compeed and it works just fine. Also modesty goes to a minimum towards the end in the Albergues. Still really enjoy a private room from time to time and let´s face it: I deserve it! :) Tomorrow just 10 km to Santiago! I hardly know what to say. Body is doing great actually. I have to pull back to keep from flying along the path. So thankful for however that happened.

22. UnkleHammy

Sounds as though you are having a VERY successful Camino. Congratulations!

23. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

thanks so much, my friend. Well, it has been wonderful, ecstatic, hard, frustrating...all of it...so, yes, I think that is all good!

24. UnkleHammy

What is nice is that we can both call each other friends and we never met face to face and probably never will meet.

25. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Totally in agreement!

UnkleHammy likes this.