1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost en route from Pueblo de Sanabria

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by backiej, Nov 9, 2011.

1. backiej

backiej Member

HI everyone

I have a question. When we walked from Pueblo de Sanabria to Lubian we got lost and headed off on the wrong road out of Sanabria. We passed three villages before we got to Teroso. Does anyone know the name of those villages? thanks. Jackie

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Jackie ~
    The camino out of Puebla de Sanabria basically follows the the N-525 to Requejo, Padornelo and Lubian. So the question would be whether you strayed to the north or south of the N-525. If it was north you'd possibly have gone through Castro de Sanabria, San Miguel de Lomba and Santa Colomba de Sanabria. If you strayed south you'd have gone through Lobeznos and Pedralba. Any of those sound familiar?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. backiej

backiej Member

Hi Sandy
    thanks for your help.
    I was trying to describe how we got lost. We went uphill over some fields and came to a railway bridge which, I think, might have been Lobeznos. But before arriving in Teroso we came upon two villages with peregrino plaques, the first one of which was probably Pedralba. I was stunned to find it actually because it is not mentioned in the guidebook.
    I want to get it right because I don't want to make mistakes in the book.

4. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Jackie ~
    You may have to go back and get lost again to find them. Short of that, have you tried Google Maps? Here's a link to get to Puebla de Sanabria puebla de sanabria, spain - Google Maps Maybe you can retrace your steps online. Good luck!

5. backiej

backiej Member

Hi Sandy

I'm just off out but I'll take a look at that link later even though I'd really rather go back and get lost again

Best wishes

Jackie

6. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Jackie just noticed your comments on the VDLP.
    Are you the same person possibly publishing a paperback on this subject?
    Have purchased Gerald Kelly's via Amazon.
    Would be good to have updated details of this route if possible, as starting out alone from Sevilla on June 08th 2013.
    Many Thanks Colin

7. backiej

backiej Member

Hi Colin
    I think you have bought the right book. Gerald Kelly is an expert on the route and I used his information myself when I walked it. My book is a travel memoir, a personal experience which does not provide much factual support. That said I do hope to have it published soon. In the meantime enjoy your walk and Buen Camino

8. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Jackie, thanks very much for your quick reply,I have not received Gerald's book yet as work overseas.
    Will be waiting for me when I get home, looking forward to reading it, and his guides as a paper download are invaluable.
    How did you find waymarkings and albuergues please Jackie, as realise not as yet popular as CF??
    Many Thanks

9. backiej

backiej Member

There are more and more Albergues springing up. If you can walk 25 kms you should be fine. The Albergues in August 2011 were around 10 - 15 Euros per person per night and some were cheaper. There were also some that were free/donation but that may not apply now. The way marking is OK except around Grimaldo where it has been removed and around Pueblo de Sanabria where the original route has been discontinued and another one started. The arrows for the original route remain and are easily followed. If you find yourself climbing a bank and into a grassy field where the path is very overgrown, you are on the wrong track and will have lots of kilometres added to your journey. That the route is not as popular as the CF is very fortunate because there is nearly always a bed for you and new Albergues are nice. Around castillo de blanco there was a group of Romanian beggars making out they were pilgrims who had lost their money and were down on their luck and the Albergue in that town was dirty and not secure but everything else was fine and there will be other peregrinos as the route increases in popularity. Two albergues in the north are in railway stations and can be very cold. They are powered by a generator and it is switched off when the hospitalero leaves which means there is no heat/light so be prepared for that

10. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Jackie many thanks for all this, yes can achieve long distances, so am sure will be fine, and as you say less traffic less Peregrinos seeking beds in same Albergue/Refugio.
    Will bear in mind all your kind advice, many thanks again :)

11. januarius

januarius New Member

last year I stayed 2 days in pueblo de sanabria, the first albergue as you come in the city is where I stayed it was fantastic. yes I lost my way I ended up in the grassy field and had extra kil. to walk, but it afforded me time on my own which I cherished.