1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost Garmin / Smart Watch Near Ponferrada / O'cebreiro Route Spain

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by Michael-Lost my watch, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Michael-Lost my watch

Michael-Lost my watch New Member

Hi Pilgrims,

Hope you are all enjoying the adventure and sunshine!

I am travelling from Leon to Santiago and I lost my smart watch (black, large face, not a phone watch) around 12pm noon time on the route between Ponferrada to O’cebreiro on the 12th / 13th September 2018.

Would anybody know if there is a lost property where people would have handed in my watch?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please PM me if you have found or saw it on route it.

Thanks
    Michael from London

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Michael

Sorry to hear that you have lost your smart watch on the route between Ponferrada to O’cebreiro on the 12th / 13th September 2018.

As around 5 days have already passed since losing your watch, I don’t think that there is a lot more you can do until you reach Santiago de Compostela – Then when there, you will visit the Compostela Office to claim your Compostela – When there you could make enquiries to see if anyone has handed it in, if not then you will see a large noticeboard and it could be worthwhile posting a notice about your lost smart watch – Although Peregrino’s tend to be very honest, you might like to add a small reward as a sweetener to encourage anyone who might have found it to contact you :)

Good Luck

Rob (From Cumbria)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Michael, sorry you lost your watch. Hopefully an honest pilgrim will find it and find a way to pass it to you. I like Rob's idea of making the pilgrim's office aware in Santiago. Suggest you also leave a note at the Pilgrim House on Rua Nova 19. They provide assistance to pilgrims on many matters.

For both our caminos, my wife and I walked together. This always allowed one of us to watch our backpacks if the other one was showering or doing laundry. That said, it is easy to become distracted and unintentionally leave something behind. There were three instances I recall during our camino one year ago:
    • The day we arrived in Madrid, we went to our favorite restaurant (La Alhambra, near Puerto de Sol) and ordered fried pulpo. I draped my small backpack on the back of my chair. We left the restaurant and I was only steps away from the front of the restaurant, when I noticed I did not have my dayback. Fortunately our waitress found it and tracked me down to hand it to me.
    • Four of us stayed in El Olivo de Sansol. My brother was reading on his Kindle fire while his wife was in the bathroom. He later packed his things up, but left his Kindle underneath a pillow. He didn't realize this until a few hours later. He was able to get the phone number via his iPhone, spoke with the hospitalero. She found it and put it inside the bag we were sending ahead via Jako Trans.
    • After arriving at Albergue O Reboliera in Fonfria, we checked in. I had my security pouch in my hand to get my pilgrim's passport stamped, show my US passport, and pay for our room in cash. We headed to our room, but the hospitalero stopped us and said we needed to put our boots on the community footracks. I set my pouch down to remove my boots and left it on the bench. Fortunately the hospitalero noticed it and gave it back to us.
    In the first and third example, the items I left behind included our US passports, money, and pilgrim's passports. I would have been devastated if these were not found and returned to us. After these events, we took great care the rest of our camino.

With regards to Jewelry, my wife and I leave most of what we regularly wear behind in a bank security box. We also leave our nice watches at home and wear something simple (of course, we can also check time on our iPhones).

All good examples of remaining alert and double checking you have all items before moving on. Bob

Amy Brooks, Wily and RJS like this.