1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luggage Shuttle Between Towns

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Graham F. Quinn, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Graham F. Quinn

Graham F. Quinn New Member

I have read that there are people who will shuttle your luggage from one town to the next on the Camino. My wife and I are going in September - I'm walking part of the Camino from St. JPDP and she is not. I would like to know about services that would transport our bags and my wife to each of the towns I'll be hiking to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hi Graham - There are several services that transfer luggage along the Camino. The one I have used is Jacotrans.

http://www.jacotrans.com/

They will pick-up your luggage at your albergue/hostel/hotel and deliver it on to your next location. The cost runs in the 6€/bag range. Jacotrans is highly reliable! You tag your bag and leave it in the lobby of where you are staying. The hospitaleros will certainly assist you. There are other companies including the post office, but I'll let others who have used them speak to those services. You'll have no difficulty moving your luggage along and there's nothing that you need to do in advance. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  3. Graham F. Quinn

WOW! THANK you so much. I'll check them out.

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Graham, we used Jako-trans when my wife developed knee pain during our last camino. We transported her backpack ahead to our next destination from Carrion de los Condes all the way to Santiago and had no problems at all. I still carried my backpack each day. For our next camino, my wife will send her backpack ahead each day from St Jean all the way to Santiago. All but a few of our destinations will be private albergues, so her pack will be waiting for us each afternoon when we arrive. Bob

5. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Graham

I have used Jacotrans on three Caminos and they have proven to be very reliable. With regard to transport for your wife. That might not be so easy as I'm not sure that Jacotrans transport people but you could check them out. Also have a look at Expressbourricot for the early part of your Camino. The do some transport and transfers of passenger and are also very reliable.

There are many different regional bus services in Spain, ALSA, Conde and others and you could check them out online. The problem I found is that on certain sections of the Camino you can be quite a distance from the main bus routes and getting to them can be difficult. There is a site called Busbud who do provide some information on the main bus companies and allow pre-purchase of bus tickets but this seems to be between main towns. Sorry not to be able to give more help.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Wily likes this.
  6. Wily

Hey Graham - With regards to your wife traveling from town to town, taxis might be the most efficient way of getting her from Point A to Point B. Keep in perspective that although it might take us hours to walk 20-25 km, a taxi will get her there in literally minutes. As Greg mentioned, bus transportation is not always convenient or easy. Therefore, a taxi could pick her up at your accommodations and drop her off at the next place you're staying on down the Camino. As the distances are not real great, the fares should be reasonable. Buen Camino!

Greg Canning likes this.
  7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Graham

One thing that you might want to be aware of is that bags transported by these services are often left unattended in hotel and Refugio lobbies – So you might want to consider some means of locking them, especially if rucksacks – I have “Rucksack Pro-Tector’s” ethically made in Nepal http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/ That are ideal for this purpose and have sold quite a few of these to pilgrims in the past (Please see Testimonials page)

Just thought it was worth a mention

Best Regards

Rob

8. John Ciribassi

John Ciribassi New Member

JacoTrans for sure. We just finished SJ to Santiago today and my wife sent her bags most of the way. The only trouble she had was when she did not use JacoTrans. Also, be sure you or someone in the Albergue calls them or verify that they have an automatic pickup so the bag is not left behind.
    John

Wily likes this.
  9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Yes, we used Jakotrans for my wife's backpack during our last camino when she developed knee pain. Besides filling out the envelope, we always called them each afternoon to confirm where to pick up the backpack and where to send it the next day. We never had any problems. This required us to firm up the town and albergue that we were staying at the next day, but that was easy to do. My wife plans to send her backpack ahead the full camino which we begin on Sept 8.

10. Wily

Hi All - I haven't heard of any problems with Jacotrans! From Forum comments to those I've heard from people on the Camino, Jacotrans gets very high ratings. When recently on the Camino Portugués, we used Tuitrans, a similar luggage transfer service to the one offered on the Camino Francés. No problems at all! I contacted them online every evening for my wife's backpack and it was picked up and delivered without a hitch. Anyone walking either Camino will be well served by these two companies if they need luggage transported along The Way.

11. Graham F. Quinn

Thanks so much to all who replied. Lots of good information. Again, Thanks.

12. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

Home Page:
    @Wily, we will be walking the Camino Frances & Primitivo next year with friends. We intend to use Jacobtrans. I have gone to their web site and emailed them. But you might know the answer. Some of our lodging bookings will be private apartments, not albergues, not hostels, not pensione, etc. Do you have experience using Jacobtrans to send luggage to a private residence address? Thanks.

Wily likes this.
  13. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BenL - Jacotrans transports backpacks throughout Camino Frances. During our two caminos, we stayed at a few municipal albergues that do not open until mid-day and Jakotrans picks up and transports backpacks in the mid-to-late mornings. When we called to notify them of our desired transport the next day, they let us know if there was an alternate pickup point. I recall a few instances in which we picked up our backpacks at a bar located near the albergue. The next morning, we left my wife's backpack at the same bar for pickup and delivery to destination that day. Both caminos we never had a problem. Bob

UnkleHammy and BenL like this.
  14. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

Home Page:
    Thanks Bob. I am in email contact with Jacobtrans, and their concern is their ability to access apartment block (or if someone is at home). I appreciate your sharing your experiences where we can ask them to leave in a nearby bar. It looks like I will have to also leave the backpacks in the morning at the albergue (or whatever pick up point they designate) as there will be no one in the apartment (renting entire apartment).

15. Wily

Hey Ben - I did use Jacotrans on the CF and then Tuitrans on the Portugués. Same excellent experience from both companies. It doesn't matter what type of lodging you stay in, the luggage transport people will pick it up for you and deliver it to your next stop. Backpacks always arrived before we did! You will find that the albergues will have tags/envelopes for you to attach to your packs. The price for the transfer will be marked which is around €7 per bag on the Francés. Ask the hospitalero or desk cleck to let Jacotrans know there is a pick-up. They’ll ask you to leave your bag at the front with them by a designated time in the morning. Regarding a private residence, they just need an address and someone to recive the bag. It’s easy as that! Head out the door, grab a cafe con leche on your way out of town, and enjoy your day of hiking know that your pack is in good hands. Buen Camino!

BenL likes this.
  16. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

There are at least two pack forwarding companies. In Pamplona there were two piles of packs near the front desk each morning for pickup. All packs in each pile had identical envelope/tags with cash for the company and the name/address of where to deliver the pack.

BenL likes this.