1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailing Ahead On The Via Podiensis

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by Eric in US, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Eric in US

Eric in US New Member

I will be leaving le Puy in mid-March and continuing on the Camino Frances mid-late-April. Before I leave le Puy I would like to send ahead items carried transatlantic that are unnecessary for the first cold and mountainous stages but valuable later, replacements for items I expect to wear out or consumables such as medicines for which I must take 400g daily i.e. 1.2 kg + tare per month. I understand from this site that the Spanish Post offers mailing to "Lista de Correos" to be held for 30 days (or is it 14?). Does the French Post offer a similar service?

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi, Lista de Correos hold parcels for 14 days for free then charges €2 per day.

I have no idea if the French post offer this service - if you don't find anything there are bag carrying services on this route that will move you bag to your next stop for €5, this might work.

Alternatively, if you are planning on staying in any hotels at certain points ask if you can forward a package to be held for you - many will do.

On this route we booked our accommodation each night for the next day, so quite unlike the Camino routes in Spain where you can turn up and usually get a place. Here there are far fewer places and the routes are also used for weekend hikers.

Eric in US likes this.
  3. Eric in US

Eric in US New Member

Thanks, Leslie, this is a very useful reply!

I want to forward a few non-seasonal (I'm starting in March snow and will end in May heat) or replacement items, not my backpack and not enough to pay for a daily €5 forwarding fee, so the transporter option may work for many but not for me.

I know independently about Poste Restante, which is the same as the Spanish service except -- big except -- that they return the package to sender after 14 days rather than charge to hold it longer (Oh, Wait! I could list my return address as the next poste restante down the line! No, I'm not going to risk being the guinea pig on that strategy), but I was looking for longer holding periods.

Your recommendation to identify and reserve ahead at a hotel that will hold a package for a reserved client is very useful, and can be coordinated with any rest days. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016