1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making The Most Of One Day In Barcelona

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wily, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

On my travels this fall, I’ll have about 24 hours in Barcelona. So this article about making the most out of my day in a city I don’t know well jumped out at me.

https://www.travelcodex.com/making-the-most-of-one-day-in-barcelona/

Some great photos, walking maps, and ideas of places to visit in the heart of the Catalan capital. Buen Camino!

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

That was very informational! Gee, seeing the picture of the bocadillo...made my mouth water! Ha....since I have been home, I sure can't eat the mass amounts of food I consumed while walking the Camino.
    Maybe I missed a previous quote of yours Wily, are you heading to another Camino this fall? I am sure that you will make the very MOST of it in Barcelona!
    One of the jewels that I learned while walking the Camino was to cherish every moment to the MAX, experience the sites, the people, the food....soak in all that our beautiful earth offers. I committed myself to continue that practice when I returned home. It has changed my everyday life. Every moment seems so precious to me, I want to live intentionally in all that I do, and try not to take any of it for granted! My priorities have shifted and I love how it has changed the very quality and fiber of my life!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - Yes, I am heading back over for a fall Camino. Still putting the pieces together, but I’ll let you know more once I firm up my plans. But, Barcelona is definitely on my itinerary before flying home.

Isn’t it amazing how much one can eat when you burn so many calories daily walking the distances we did. Even with all my indulgences, I’ve lost weight on each Camino, but obviously more on the CF. Eat, drink, and walk a ton of kilometers every day!

I always thought that you went into your Camino with one of the best attitudes that I’ve seen here on the Forum. Your comments now clearly show how much you not only appreciated your experience, but also what you’ve brought back with you to hang onto. Change and improvement is what it’s all about. I’ve very happy to hear about your new perspectives. Buen Camino!

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wily. Interesting reading, but way too much to cover particularly with jet lag. I visited Barcelona when I was a student in Spain in the late 1970s. A highlight for me at that time was visiting the Picasso Art museum. I recall a huge open air market adjacent to Las Ramblas that was fun to wander through.

We'll start our third camino from Barcelona in Sept, 2019. We'll take a train to Pamplona, then a bus to St Jean. This will give us a day in Barcelona at the beginning and end of our trip. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there and we'll look forward to your updates. Bob

Ginamarie, Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  5. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

I am with Bob and Hinds, enjoy the time!
    Hinds...so glad you had a great Camino, I echo Wilys comments about your pre-walk attitude.
    5 weeks, then I am off for Portugal!!!!

6. hindsfeet

Thanks Wily, but I gleaned so much from you and others on the forum. I think that I felt much more confident and prepared because of that....so therefore I could just relax and let the Camino COME TO ME and enjoy all that it has to offer. Here is my thought on the matter. I cannot express what an unbelievable opportunity it was to only walk, eat and sleep for me. I have been SO busy my whole life, family, work and other obligations, that I never had that much time alone. The freedom of NO time constraints for me, walking, playing outside, eating as much as I want, enjoying people from all around the world, ALONE with your thoughts..........well, it HAS to have an impact on you. Don't get me wrong, Ha....I had some difficult times. AAHHHH, but I wouldn't have changed a moment, it was all part of the Camino! Wily, there was 5 hours in the emergency room at Hospital Di Orbigo for me. I will share it with you on my next post (have an appt so have to leave) but I appointed YOU as an accomplice. :D Ha.......Buen Camino!!

Ginamarie, Greg Canning, Wily and 2 others like this.
  7. hindsfeet

Aw thanks CW. I always felt that attitude in ALL things are what make or break you! :D I am so excited for your escape to Portugal!! Five weeks out......goosebumps!! Wishing you the very best. I WANT TO GO!! Buen Camino and safe travels :D :D

Ginamarie, Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  8. Canadian Wander

Always room for one more Hinds! The brother and sister in law are now unable to go, (their first Camino), so I am with my beloved wife, which is perfect for me.
    Of now to test some new insoles in my boots, hoping to avoid the broken shank/tired foot issue of 2015!

Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  9. hindsfeet

Gee, thanks for the invite!:D Don't tempt me! Aw, sounds like you could turn it into a second honeymoon! Take care of those feet! Buen Camino

Wily and Canadian Wander like this.
  10. Canadian Wander

Everyday is a honeymoon

Ginamarie, Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  11. Wily

Hey CW - Sorry your brother and sister-in-law won’t be accompanying you, but you will certainly have great things awaiting you traveling with just your wife. Your post reminded me of an article that I ran across just this morning posted by Lonely Planet, “Love At First Hike.”

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/travel...u-closer/40625c8c-8a11-5710-a052-1479d27540f7

Although it has nothing to do with the Camino per se, it does have everything to do with the experience a couple can have on an “adventure” trip such as you are about to embark upon. Walking a Camino with one’s “beloved” offers opportunities and challenges that the solo traveler can’t experience. Although I loved my solo CF experience, walking with my wife was no less spectacular. Enjoy every moment of the time you two have together on your trek. Bom Caminho!

hindsfeet and Canadian Wander like this.
  12. Canadian Wander

You are 100% right Wily, as usual. How do you not have fun with best wife beside you?

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  13. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Travel advisory for heavy rain in Catalonia. Bob

Members in Catalonia autonomous community, including its capital Barcelona, should plan journeys to account for potential disruption due to heavy rain until 10 October. The AEMET Meteorological Agency has issued warnings for heavy rain for the region as well as the Balearic Islands until 10 October. On 9 October, heavy rain and flooding disrupted public transport in Barcelona. A number of metro stations were temporarily closed, tramway services disrupted, and there were residual delays for inbound flights at the city’s El Prat Airport (BCN). Further weather-related disruption is likely over the next 24 hours.

• Monitor the AEMET website for up-to-date information on the prevailing weather conditions; be prepared to adjust itineraries accordingly.
    • Ongoing poor weather conditions may further disrupt public transport, including delays at El Prat airport. We do not hold information on specific flights or other modes of transport. Contact the relevant airport or airline to reconfirm flight schedules. In the event of cancellations, your travel agency will be able to assist with alternative arrangements.
    • Reconfirm the status of routes before setting out, and allow additional time for journeys. Do not attempt to cross flooded roads; if you come across one, seek an alternative route to your destination.
    • Monitor our alerts on Spain for notable updates.

UnkleHammy likes this.