1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martin Sheen talks about El Camino

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by revrenjen, Sep 26, 2010.

1. revrenjen

revrenjen New Member

2. kvn in AZ

kvn in AZ Guest

My wife and I were privileged to see the movie "The Way" last night here in AZ. The movie was deeply moving, it spoke to me on a personal level... I have felt lost for the last six years, since I retired from the military. This movie has enlightened me to find out who I really am and to live my life.... To Martin and Emelio, Thank you.

Eddie Horton likes this.
  3. ken huocj

ken huocj Member

Have you considered spending 6 weeks along the Camino de Santiago?

past thursday.i bid farewell to a Pilgrim who is off to France to do his 5th walk along the Camino.
    i hope to be there again in 2013

4. Arlene

Arlene New Member

I have not seen the movie "The Way" but I became interested in the Camino de Santiago after catching a Rick Steves Travel Adventure episode which featured the Camino.

I retired from the Railroad after 25 years of service, packed up and moved from New Jersey to Tucson, Arizona in 2007. I thought I could make a life for myself here in Arizona, but have been disappointed on that front so far. I even tried to sell my home for an entire year so I could move back to the East Coast and my family - evidently God has a different plan for me. When I read your post, I truly can relate to the feeling of being lost.

Anyway, I am considering walking the Camino. Are you and your wife considering it? I have put myself on a training plan and have begun taking long walks each day in preparation. I've been researching both on-line and in the library - my goal is to be able to start my pilgrimage in the early fall of 2012.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

Evidently the economy, a weak government and fraudulent bankers have "a different plan" for you. They're trying to stick it to everyone.

I do hope you can do your camino, whichever one it is, next year. I'd say just do it. If you can train, that's great; if you can't, just do it anyway. You'll get fitter as the days pass. You only have to start modestly, that's all. But just start. Early spring is a good time, for most caminos. Which one interests you?

Research? yes - but it's also good to come without many preconceived ideas- that goes for all of us of course.

Do that camino, put aside all the ideas of writers and film stars. They count for nothing. It's you who matters.

6. Arlene

Arlene New Member

I'm planning on doing the Camino Frances. After talking about it with some of my friends, it turns out a friend who walks the NY City Marathon each year will be also walking with me. I do know it is all about me, but I do feel more comfortable knowing I will have a walking companion.

How is the weather in early spring? My first thought was to walk in the fall - do you think springtime better? And if so, why?

Which camino have you done? I'm interested in hearing your story or stories, if you would like to share.

Thanks for replying to my original post.

7. mlmw

mlmw New Member

But I would still recommend you see the film to get you in the mood. It worked for me and I have seen it many times now, each time finding something new plus it re-strengthens my resolve to make the pilgrimage a reality for myself. I felt I was part of the Way.

8. david strong

david strong New Member

The more I hear Martin and his wisdom..and maturity..and journey of life thoughts, the more i wonder...
    Are he and charlie really related? I cant wait to see the film...its at my library.

9. Frank Piv

Frank Piv Guest

The Way with Martin Sheen was inspiring, emotional and touched my deep Soul. And, apparently it has for many others. I am being led to Santiago de Compostela. I will take it from there. At this moment, I have a foot challenge. Pray that it heals and is strong for the trip. Thanks, Best to all. Senior Frank

10. Aibrean82

Aibrean82 New Member

Home Page:
    When I walked the Camino I had not even heard of The Way, but some pilgrims I met talked about it in a way that made me search for it as soon as I got home. I can see how so many people feel inspired by it! Every time I see it it takes me back to the walk, and makes me want to do it again. And again. And again.

11. Jean Wright-Popescul

Jean Wright-Popescul New Member

My husband an I dreamed of doing the Camino, but sadly, he passed on in 2010. I have my plane ticket and am going in early July 2013. I know he will be with me in spirit.

UnkleHammy and Eddie Horton like this.
  12. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Hello that movie changed my life.

danvo, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  13. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Terry - Couldn’t agree with you more! Prior to the movie coming out, the Camino de Santiago or specifically the Camino Francés was not particularly well known to most folks here in The States. Even now, when I mention the Camino to people, even devote Catholics, few seemed to have heard of it let alone know much about this pilgrimage. Even as you look at pilgrim statistics, North Americans do not represent a very large proportion of the pilgrims traveling The Way.
    Nonetheless, just as for you, I count myself lucky to have had this film cross my path because it was the stimulus for my first journey across Spain.

Although Hollywood-ized, it’s one of my favorite DVDs to pull off the shelf and watch. I’m sure it can be criticized from a number of cinematographic perspectives, but I do think that Estevez did a wonderful job in capturing the essence of the Camino and the experience many of us have as we walk it. First, it’s just a good story about Tom’s journey and his relationship with his son Daniel. Second, the fact that walking the Camino can be transformative speaks to why we celebrate life as we do and the power we have to overcome some of life’s greatest obstacles presented to us. As many of us have found, there are a number of moments in the film where the messages of the Camino really hit home. Going from darkness into the light, is a most powerful message that reminds us of the importance of the journey and the strength of the human spirit.

Your post Terry reminds me that tonight might be a good time to watch The Way again. Buen Camino!

14. Terry Wilson

Yes I take your point may just do that.But could just make me more restless.

raymond john and UnkleHammy like this.
  15. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Wily
    Like you, Terry and many others The film" The Way" changed my life . In Jan 2012 I was at home recovering from a hernia Operation when a good friend came to see me and said you must see this film The Way and handed me the DVD . He was very animated and gave me the briefest outline only about the film but kept repeating you must see this film. I clearly remember at the end of watching the film, something switched on in my mind and heart and I knew I had to walk the camino, such an overwhelming desire, I was being driven. I watched the Martin Sheen and his son Estevesz interviews on the extraordinary story behind the making of this film. It added so much more to the film. I was so bowled over by the film I watched it every day for a week, each time I watched the film it became more meaningful. Interestingly until I saw the film I had never had any interest in walking / back packing. I don't think I had never walk more than 5 miles. At Easter in 2012 I sent a DVD of The Way to my family and some friends, it was so powerful.

When I started researching walking the camino I found the Lesile Gilmour website which was brilliant easy read and full of useful information on walking the camino, Selecting and Buying the correct boots - having your feet measured - sock selection - Clothes and recommend packing list , selecting a backpack and fitting with general rule of thumb the backpack should be no more than 30/40 litres or 10% of you body weight including food & water. Importantly a training schedule to get you up to a fitness level including walking with a weighted backpack across mixed terrains to commence walking the camino and lots more useful and practical informal.

I didn't actually walk the camino until September / October 2014 which happened to be the same time of year they filmed The Way because the weather conditions were found to be the most stable time of year. I had a hip replacement in Nov 2012 and it took 12 months to fully recover. During the period between watching the film and walking the camino the overwhelming desire to walk the camino never diminished. I joined the Confraternity of St James (CSJ), used the time to research, read and plan my walking the camino. It's only when I reached Santiago, I fully understood it wasn't the end of my camino, but only the beginning.

In the film when Tom receives his Compostela certificate, its dated 5th Nov 10. At first, I didn't understand the significances of 2010 which was a Holy Year of St James

Carpe Diem & Ultreya

Raymond John

16. Wily

Hey Raymond - Oh, how very true! Although there are many awakenings possible along The Way, the realizations that can come post-Camino are perhaps even more profound. Your comment about “the beginning” is a clear reminder that so much more is in the making well after we arrive back home and put our backpack and hiking boots in the closet. It’s perhaps then that the lessons learned on the Camino can be used to improve not only our own lives, but those of everyone around us. Buen Camino!

danvo, raymond john and hindsfeet like this.
  17. raymond john

Wily
    I agree. The camino can & does improve our lives and those around us. I believe part of the reason for this, is because we leave all our " Baggage" that we have been carrying for many years behind us. It's also the memories and experience's we have shared with other Pilgrims that we take home with us and will remain in us forever. The biggest impact are those unexpected moments /experiences, that leave you wondering where did that come from.
    The appeal for me woking as a volunteer hospitalero is that you are meeting & greeting pilgrims from all over the world. listening to their experiences and story's. Each day is different , you just never know who is coming through the door of our Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal.

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

18. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Raymond John.....I came back from my Camino at the end of June this year. Yes, amazing experiences, memories and relationships forged. I felt stirred up inside, so much so that I am starting a venture that is bigger than myself, that will help those less fortunate, with genuine needs in my community, but the biggest impact it had on me was S L O W I N G D O W N, taking time to just be quiet and listen to that still small voice, really examining my place on this round ball of dirt. As I walked I was reminded of who I am, my worth, where my passion ignites, how precious it is and how we are dependent on God for even our next breath. I love how sensitive I was to being transformed, like soft clay.
    To be transparent is probably a bit too easy for me. But I love the freedom it offers me. I have to admit, that there have been so many times since I have returned from the Camino, that I have lost sight. Did I really go to Spain and walk the Camino? Why do I feel listless today, on edge, restless, lacking patience? Do I really matter in the grand scheme of things? I am not prone to depression, in fact I am genuinely in a very good mood daily....and I love life. But lately I am more excited about being alone than ever before. And I still at times struggle with many of the things I mentioned earlier. Life is beautifully difficult. :D hmmm....I am wondering why the Camino is calling me back? :D :D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 2:25 PM
  19. Terry Wilson

You have got that right Raymond you got that right. I call it the greatest experience of my life. That gets my wife and four daughters up in arms.:). They just don,t understand me:p:D Does anyone? O well it,s time to go and feed my pink giraffe and take my two gold fish for a walk.:);):);).

20. raymond john

Hindsfeet
    As the Irishman said to the Dutchman in the film The Way. "You don't walk the camino by accident it has purpose and meaning " There will be a lot of struggling/ confusion in understanding what that means to you, which you are experiencing at the moment. However It was when I returned home from my 1st Camino I realised that I need to walk the next stage from Santiago to Finisterra - Muxia - and back to Santiago. Watching the sunset in Finisterra was a very powerful and emotional experience, shared with Edwin from Holland,Bronky Norway, Rudie Belgium, Enzo Italy & Saul Portugal we only walked to gather for a few day but form a very strong bond.

You are being called back because this is the next stage in you camino. Have patience, the purpose, meaning & experience all will be revealed in God good time.

I leave you with this thought. Let the foot steps of your Camino lead you to heaven.:D:rolleyes:

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

Wily, UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  21. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@raymond john , @hindsfeet , @Wily , @Terry Wilson : thank you for your posts above. Your words are same as mine in my soul, but it is really out of my english skills. Wonderful.. Camino is really life changing experience.... :)

Wily, raymond john and hindsfeet like this.
  22. hindsfeet

Thanks Raymond John.....I had plenty of time when I was in Spain, so after the CF, I walked to Muxia and Finisterra, and also the Camino Ingles. When I arrived home...I said that I was done walking....didn't even have a desire to return. Wow, just takes a few months and the longing comes back! :D Thank you again for your thoughts. It is true.....the three things that must be present in your life to be balanced......SOMEONE TO LOVE, SOMETHING TO DO and SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO!

Crepes4Suzette, Wily, danvo and 2 others like this.
  23. Terry Wilson

Hindsfeet you have described me right down to a tee including the depression . I was recently tested for depression and I was told you dont have depression I am just fed up with life as it is after walking the camino and I am hearing that from you.
    What a great reply from Raymond. I am in the company of so many genuine friends. (here in this forum I mean). No one else understands .Next year I hope to do a few weeks in USA then get my wife to Barcelona and bus to Madrid and stay at some little villages along the way pop, few hundred that sort of thing then sit at a cafe in a quiet lane and see if she can get it. God bless.

Wily, danvo, hindsfeet and 1 other person like this.
  24. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great way to partially decompress and find other things that the two of you can do together.

25. hindsfeet

Hi Terry, Hope you are doing well. I sincerely cannot say that I am fed up with life though. I understand that we go thru valleys at times...and of course never give up hope. We do not know what tomorrow holds. Perhaps a deeper valley, an opportunity to trust that God is true to His promises. He never promises that life will be easy, but rest assured that He will be there and walk thru it with us, giving us strength where we are weak. Or there could be a mountain top around the corner where we shout...YES, WE MADE IT THRU THE ROUGH PART, AND STRONGER FOR IT, FAITH RESTORED! What I know now is that life is truly short, and I want to make the very best of it, not waste a moment complaining, or fill it with negative thoughts. Because when we do that, there is no room to LOVE. Hang in there Terry....you are not alone. :D

26. raymond john

Terry & Hindsfeet
    I believe that when we return home after walking the camino, we are not are not suffering from depression but a low point coming down from such a high powerful and liberating experience ( like from an Adrenaline rush). You are so excited to see your Family and friends and share your story experiences with them. Unfortunately,they don't appear to fully understand or grasp the profound effect it's had on you.
    Terry you are correct, they must experience it themselves. When I finished my last hosptalero's duty at Rabanal. I took the train to Santiago stayed there for two days before flying home to LHR from A Coruna . I remember sitting in the main plaza outside the cathedral, watching the pilgrims arriving and completing there camino's, it was such a wonderful experience and awesome to watch and as you would expect the pilgrims were so excited and emotional. laughing, crying , hugging , kissing, shouts of real joy. A sense of achievement and not the end of the journey but the beginning !!!. The start of a new journey.

Carpe Diem

Raymond John

27. hindsfeet

Raymond John, you are spot on.....well put. Thank you

28. Wily

Wow, what a wonderful, thoughtful thread! I think everyone is spot on with both your thoughts and your feelings. I think it was Hindsfeet who mentioned the importance of having something to look forward to, something to anticipate doing that may give us renewed purpose. I see the Camino as that stimulus, the starting point, for so much more later on without reference to even necessarily walking another Camino. Such a “high” experience can be the trigger to where we head to next. And as Raymond said closer to the beginning of this thread, it’s just the beginning. Our arrival in Santiago then is just our first step towards using this amazing experience to better understand ourselves and those around us. Although many of us may experience a “coming down” after walking, it may be best to think of it more as a regrouping time looking for just the right direction to channel our thoughts, our energies, our passions. I’d hope this to be a very temporary or transient time since one need not feel sad about “not walking” since the spirit of the Camino now rests inside of us which cannot be taken away and will re-emerge as we walk amongst our brothers and sisters wherever we are. Buen Camino peregrinos!

29. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Member

I agree - Wily - a very thoughtful thread - especially for a rookie like myself. My training for my 2019 Camino has been challenging lately - getting out the door etc. As much as I am looking forward to my Camino, some days are just hard. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the good and bad days... Camino doesn't solve all that - maybe brings a depth to the ups and downs of life? I will find out (as you all have) after my Camino. Thank you all for this thoughtful conversation.

Amy

hindsfeet, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  30. Terry Wilson

Now here,s a thought for all of us. Maybe it is just as well that many/most people we talk to dont get what we have experienced because. Wait for it!!;). there,s to many people walking it now. O how nasty the devil made me say that.:rolleyes:o_O;)

UnkleHammy likes this.