1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May Or September?

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Go West, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Go West

Go West New Member

Planning a walk from Porto this year. Not sure which month is preferable?

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Both are good choices as they avoid the heat of summer as well as the cooler winter months.

Out of the two, I would opt for May as you will then have the Spring Flowers as well as slightly more daylight each day.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. KateM

KateM Member

Hi Go West.
    I walked the Frances in April/May 2016 and delighted in the wild flowers. This year we are walking from Lisbon in late August so if you decide to go in September we may be on the route together. Autumn last year was still quite warm but we're planning some early starts if it as warm again in 2019. Happy planning....just make sure your shoes have sturdy soles and good socks! I understand from reading posts here that the cobblestones can be brutal!

Buen Camino

Kate

Wily likes this.
  4. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Hi GW- my wife and I did it Sept 2018, and it was perfect. I thinks we had 2 hours light rain, but otherwise blue skies, and warm to hot every day.
    Sept was the best work wise for us, and we are happy with that choice.
    Either way should be great!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Go West - My wife and I walked the CP from Porto two years ago in April. We had gorgeous weather! I’ve also walked the CF in May. Spring walking is great! You can get some rain, but the temperatures are very pleasant. Because Camino routes do get more crowded as the season goes on, I’d suggest walking as early in the spring as possible. My only caveat here is that Semana Santa before Easter will be busy. This year, Easter falls on April 21st, so I’d avoid the week before that. This past year we walked the Inglés during Holy Week and the albergues filled up very quickly. Therefore, early May might be a great choice for beginning your pilgrimage to Santiago. Bom Caminho!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. Go West

Go West New Member

7. Go West

Go West New Member

Thanks very much for the great information. My son completes university this year. My hope is to spend time with him absent the distractions of daily life. Unfortunately, he has suffered a health setback which may decide the timing for us. Nothing life threatening.....thank God. We both suffer from arthritis which flares up when you least expect it. I'm sure September has its own charms. It is the company that matters.
    The insights offered are truly appreciated!

UnkleHammy likes this.