1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merry Christmas And Buen Camino For Anyone Planning A Camino In 2019 :-)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RJS, Dec 25, 2018.

1. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    IMGP0101.JPG It’s Christmas Day and I would just like to wish all my Peregrino friends a Very Merry Christmas and Buen Camino for anyone planning to walk a Camino in 2019 :)

Now that I am unable to walk Camino’s myself, by taking part in this forum and, using my own experiences of the routes that I have walked myself, and hopefully helping other Peregrino’s in the process is certainly the next best thing to being out there on “The Road” myself :)

Very Best Wishes

Rob

Attached Files:

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@RJS I agree with your thoughts. If I can afford to return I will, until then I'll be here and hopefully be able to help others.

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Rob and Uncle Hammy, thanks for the holiday greetings. My wife and I will be walking our third camino frances in Sept - Oct, 2019. The great thing for us is we can continue to use the same gear and clothing we've used for our last two caminos, with minor adjustments. I have a foreboding that we'll endure lots of rain this time, since the weather was so nice and clear during our second camino, so we bought breathable, waterproof rain pants. We'll leave our sleeping bags at home since we've booked private rooms every single night, and I'll bring along a small daypack, since this old man of age 62 will send my Osprey ahead via Jako-trans on the days with steep uphills climbs. Can't wait until we're on the camino again! Happy New Year ! Bob

4. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Rob

Beautiful picture and lovely message - I will be doing my first Camino in May, 2019. It makes this New Year holiday so special to know that in this next year I am fulfilling a life long dream. This forum and all of you have been wonderful companions and cheerleaders. Never underestimate your power to help, counsel, aid, and walk with our friends here on this forum. Rob . - you will be with me when I make those steps in May, as well as all my other friends here.

Thank you so much for your friendship - happy holidays and may 2019 bring great joy.
    Amy

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thank you So Much for your kind words Amy – I am sure that you will have a wonderful Camino which will be memorable for all the right reasons and stay with you for a long time after you have finished walking your chosen route – But Please Do be Warned – Camino Walking can get Really Addictive and end up going back again, and again, and again ……….

But I look forwards to reading your own Camino Report on here, and I am sure that this will also help others following in your own Camino Footsteps :)

Very Best Wishes

Rob

6. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Rob

That is an addiction I can live with! This first Camino will be shorter than I want since my work won't allow me to take enough time to do the CF, so I will be doing the CP. But I am hoping to take a gap year in 2020 and if your addictive prediction comes true - I will do the full CF in 2020. Or perhaps the Norte or another route.

So I am girding myself for the future Camino's on my calendar. My knees will never forgive me! :)

Amy

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    The Camino Portuguese is a great choice as an introduction to Camino Walking Amy and I am sure that you will have a wonderful walk – Just one word of caution, assuming that you are starting your Camino in Porto, on the first 2 or 3 days the route is on cobbled roads and these can be incredibly hard on your feet – One of my main Camino Walking companions had to retire after 3 days of this as his feet were so badly affected :-(

Other than making sure that you have as much available time as your work will allow, that your footwear is up to the task and that your feet are reasonably hardened, there isn’t much that you can do – But being aware of the potential problem might at least help you prepare for it :)

As for the addiction – Time will tell, but you have probably already noticed, that there aren’t too many people posting on here that haven’t returned for at least one more bite of the cherry :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Amy- my wife and I did the CP in Sept...loved it as well.
    Treat yourself to Portuguese tarts while you are there it is sooooo worth it!

9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Rob's note of well wishes for 2019 peregrinos has me looking forward to our next camino in Sept-Oct, and the wonderful food we'll enjoy throughout camino frances. I thought it would be fun to develop a list of our favorites.

A few of these are readily available in the US and most of the world:
    1. Olives - love, love, love olives. In Spain you can ask for a small plate of olives along with your rioja or beer
    2. Calamares - terrific with a slice of lemon.
    3. Lentil bean soup
    4. Chorizo sausage
    5. Manchego cheese
    A few of these are traditionally Spanish and may be hard to find outside Spain:
    1. Tortilla espanola - wonderful for breakfast, lunch or a snack
    2. Paella - many varieties available throughout Spain including the traditional Paella Valenciana
    3. Pulpo - my wife and I tried during our first camino and now are addicted. Pulpo with potatoes. Yummy !
    4. Morcilla - aka Spanish black sausage / blood pudding. Sounds dreadful, but so very delicious !
    5. Caldo Gallego - wonderful stew that warms your soul on a cold day
    6. Tapas / pinchos - too many to list !
    And our favorite drinks:
    1. Cafe con Leche - great warm drink to start your day. Nice to stop for a few during your morning walk
    2. Rioja wine - we enjoyed every night with our pilgrim's meal
    All you foodies out there, please feel free to comment on your favorites !

Bob

Canadian Wander likes this.