Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Mobile Phones

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by keithlundy1, Jun 2, 2017.

1. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Member

Mobile Phones

Hi to all Pilgrims.
    My pilgrimage starts in a matter of weeks now 25th July and I'm really excited once again to tread where millions have walked before me.
    Two years ago when I got home I found I had a phone bill in excess of £100, so this time I've investigated what is the best way for this trip.
    I'm with Vodafone and have been for years and now they have made things really simple. The daily charge of £2.50 still applies if you do nothing, however I've just increased my monthly bill by £1.50 and I get a whole 1gb of download, unlimited texts and a 1000mind of talk time without the daily charge. What this means is, if I did nothing I would have paid £82.50 just to use my phone and whatever my usage was on top, this time I'm paying a total £18 for the year and if I go on holiday in the EU I'm already covered a massive saving of £64.50 and the beauty is once you're there everything is free, calls, texts and roaming which we all know is expensive.
    So guys before you go, go to your network provider and ask what they have, it's worth the effort.
    To give you an idea that extra £1.50 takes my monthly tariff up to £13.50pm so ask the question, it's worth it.
    Buen Camino Pilgrims. Keith, Norfolk

2. Tom V

Tom V Member

There are a lot more options than there were 2 years ago. I'm in the US and Verizon has various plans that can limit your exposure to expensive phone charges. I recommend that all pilgrims check with their cell phone provider before heading out. Buenos Camino!

davebugg likes this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Off topic: Try to disconnect "from the world". Ask your family, friends and colleagues to not contact you, except (really very) urgent cases. Then your smartphone you can use only for sending occassional email through wifi (wifi is nearly everywhere on Camino Frances - albergues, coffees, restaurants, etc). On my first camino I sent ca 5 emails in 29 days. One or two short calls to my wife - nothing important, just "surprise" for her. So email is enough. Camino is (only) your time, enjoy it and forget to every communication..

Ginamarie and hindsfeet like this.
  4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Keith

I've a similar package with Vodafone Ireland and also for the States.

However I wouldn't be giving them too much credit for the improved rates. It's all down to new EU wide regulations (coming into force on 15 June, i.e. tomorrow)
    requiring mobile phone companies to get rid of roaming charges within the EU. Seems the EU is good for something :)

Here is a good info page on the subject:-

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/telecoms-internet/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

Buen Camino

Greg

Wily likes this.
  5. Mat Smith

Mat Smith New Member

Hi All, best way I've found through different things I've done.... festivals long trips of travelling Asia & Europe in hostels without power sockets etc. is too take a NOKIA phone with you. id recommend the NOKIA 105.....battery life of 31 days.....

Your Welcome