1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moderator approval?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Rogerio Wagner, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Rogerio Wagner

Rogerio Wagner New Member

I'm using facebook login to have access, and every post I made is just visible before moderator approval?

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Rogerio ~
    We moderators see the "moderated" posts before they go on the Forum, we read them and then give permission (or not) for them to be posted. This helps avoid spam on the site. If we miss moderating a new post I believe it will time out after a couple of days and then show up on the Forum automatically. After a new member's posts have been approved a couple of times they no longer go through the moderation process. I don't believe the Facebook login makes a difference in this process. Hope this helps ~
    Sandy

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

normally I check the forum each night for new members posts. Once you have three posts they will appear automatically without any further moderation - it just keeps things good for everyone here.

4. Rogerio Wagner

Rogerio Wagner New Member

Hi Leslie and Sandy, thanks for the answer, SPAM is allways a problem in forums, it's the first time i see that approach, I'm a active user of some forums like Rebreather World (I'm a scuba instructor) and X7OG (painball), they usually ban the spammer on the first post.

5. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    The first post method is ok when you are on the forum all the time, but none of are. Even though I work on the net as my day job and come across strange stuff - some of the spam gets fairly distasteful, even for me, and I would rather it never be published.

6. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Leslie,

Is there a time out on the system for members? Sometimes I have to re enter my password to gain access. Is this normal?

Regards,

Sean
    Dublin

7. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    When you login a cookie is set on your broswer, if you are inactive for 3600 seconds - 60 minutes then you are loged out. It is not safe to leave the cookie set for too long. If people access the forum from somewhere that is not their own computer and don't log out but only close the window their login can be used by others from that same computer.

Addtionally this same information is used by the forum software to show who is online.

Cold in Dublin Sean, I used to find the winters here quite mild after I had just moved here from Scotland - about 15 yrs ago - but not any more - wonder if I am just getting old...