1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mosquitos?

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by Ellie, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I can't seem to find any posts on moquitos which is a bit of a concern of mine, they tend to like me (eat me alive quite literally).. I'm leaving from SJPP in the second week of April, can anyone tell me the mosquito status in that time of the year?? Will I be ok with just your average mossie repellant?

Cheers

2. Covey

Covey Active Member

Re: Mosquito's?

I would be very surprised if you saw one, let alone get noshed by them.

April/May is a little too cool for them to be out looking for succulent pilgrims.

Even in July/August, you rarely see mozzies.

3. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Covey! I'm very glad to hear it, thanks a bunch. No worrying about that then- I'm now one happy little camper.. err.. pilgrim!

Thanks again

4. Maur

Maur New Member

How about black flies? I'm from New Jersey- USA- and walking in woods in summer means you can't really stop for any length of time - like more than 2 seconds- or you get swarmed by black flies and mosquitos. Is insect repellent a necessary item? I'm walking end of Aug through Sept, 2011

5. Covey

Covey Active Member

As a general rule, you don't get bothered by flies and mozzies too much on the Camino Frances BUT in odd places they can be an irritant.

Last year on the Meseta at Boadilla the mozzies were out in force in August, but I had not noticed them there the previous year in late September. If you are walking past wheat fields around harvest time then the little black flies can be an irritant but once clear of the harvesting, then there is little problem. A lot of insects are dependent on the weather patterns so it will vary from year to year.

Take a tube of insect repellent with you from home. It will be a lot cheaper than buying it in a pharmacy along the Camino!!!

6. Maur

Maur New Member

Great - thanks for that info.

7. Michealleo

Michealleo Guest

well i think the weather is changing soon . i really worried about it because i wana do camping soon . Do u think guys that it's a good time to do camping ? Or if i want to go for camping then what would i do for get rid of these mosquitos ?

8. Oak

Oak New Member

Yes they eat me alive too, Thank you Convey, much appreciated, however if you're wrong I will let you know!!

9. promqueen

promqueen New Member

Better bring a repellant whether or not it's the mozzies seson!

10. Orava

Orava Active Member

I plan to wild camp from time to time so will take a very ultra light head net to use when sleeping out (15g). I am from Finland and mozzies don't tend to cause too much histamine reaction in me (Finnish ones that is - maybe I am more immune to them having been eaten a few hundred times). However, I have noticed I react very badly to mediteranean mossie bites for some reason...so for me 15 g of extra weight is no problem for a mossie free night under the stars.

I can imagine that for those moving/walking all the time and always staying in alburgues it would not be a problem. Even here in Finland I seldom get bitten whilst walking along forest roads, and it is only a problem when I stay still/rest or push through the forest itself.

11. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Orava.

midge net-taking mind
    Can be a good idea, after packing my tent away last year from GONZA casa Garcia in the grassed area unattached from the building at the rear.. there were these annoying large flies like the Scottish Glegs ......as I was walking along that stretch to a place called "Hospital "they were constantly hovering around everyone, so I started running..no sooner had I stopped and there back......so I pulled out a deodorant spray and let them have good bursts of that,still they came. onto more bursts, until the can was empty...back again.

in the morning there was a heavy dew and a fine mist so all the lovey fly loving farm smells was being coated in dew and fine mist covering people as they walked......the fine mist hanged around till mid morning....there is a new spray out I use in Scotland the game keepers swear by called "smidge" which I use now and works a treat.. before "skin so soft by Avon"which does not have the active ingredient in the new supplies bottles anymore (older bottles still work)..I shave twice a day head and face and any tiny bite on my head is not so good when your doing that... so I will be taking mind. ..the one I use is loose because the Scottish midge unlike other midges land on the net and can bite through it, so its not tight.......apparently they sell the tight face nets to the English so the RUMOUR goes...the Scottish midges are part of the Highlands games so I heard another "rumour"... never go to the isle of Rhum in Scotland in August there are trillions of them and that is no rumour. of course you forget to tell those who are thinking about going who are not conducive to the Great outdoors welfare. in midge infected areas I rely on "smidge " no bites so far when using it.....

12. Orava

Orava Active Member

Highlander. I will swap our Finnish moose flies for your midges. Moose fly ( hirvikarpanen ) http://www.hyonteismaailma.fi/hyonteiset/karpaset/hirvikarpanen/

Smells you coming from your breath or maybe IR, flutters out of a spruce tree ( in gangs/ swarms), lands on you back, mistakes the hair on the back of your head for moose mane, drops off its wings, burrows down to find a nice hiding place, latches to you to suck blood hoping to make a home. I usually find a few on me in the autumn ( keep running fingers through hair). they are the tough customers as it is not possible to squash them between finger and thumb no matter how hard you try as the body spreads out/ compresses and once you release they are up and off again scampering about ( quick ish little blighters as well).

Not trying to start a bug war here but you would be welcome to them :)

13. highlander

Orava

right then I will bring the 7th isle of skye midge cadre. including the bog section 4/5th as well as the Highland special service Tick platoon from Torridon,"the scary ones"....and the Fort William and Glencoe "Gleg fly" company (ever heard of Gelncoe masscare...midges and ticks terrible story )(true) there is a tourist version about people not true....also the feared New Zealand (Scottish part)sand fly airborne squadron...the "tick"boys they go straight for the sports department....they will love you....and they bury there heads into the flagpole if your not careful....true very true

14. Bijoux

Bijoux New Member

Last August/September we "met" a lot of small little black flies...other than driving us crazy I don't believe they did much. We encounter them in the Meseta until o'cebriero. I'm normally a magnet for them and did not get any bites. We found that the easiest way to manage was to walk in the sun, the flies seem to prefer shade...my fiancé was bitten extensively (I counted 50 bites on his torso back and front at one time). We think it was a combination of flies, spiders from trees, bees and wasps. He is 6'2" and his back back was touching the trees and maybe they were falling between his backpack and his body. Anyway, we went to a pharmacy in Leon, got a good cream and it went away. You can't plan for things like this. I would not bring anything and address the situation if anything happens.

15. highlander

Hi Bijoux

on the camino its not a big issue for some, try shaving your head with any type of bite. I find a midge nets works well for those of us who wild camp, seldom used.....I encountered on one camino those little black flies not long after leaving Estella... after a few minutes gone.. this was before the sun was fully up . only seen them there the once.

I often end up giving my self treated sheet to some one on my caminos and end up bitten when staying in albergues....and they love me more than most.....

some people seemed immune to all biting things...on my first camino I had to go to the medical center because of a severe case of bed bug bites.... threw all my clothes away. wearing taking passport/money-flip-flops and underpants along with a camino girlfriend at that time .on the bus to Ponferrada to the outdoor shop for brand new clothes and taxi back again.

after the medical center I wanted a bath, beds for four of us in a nice hotel......going to view the rooms. the manager looked at my ankles. I was wearing my jacket(shell)icebreaker underwear and flip-flops only....he could not see my arms or back, suddenly they are booked up and he is on the phone to other places I would of imagine.....a albergue or hotel can be bug free one day and not the next .

it is simple to plan for things like this ......I over dose my rucksack 6 times more than recommended. I use dog flea spray which contains permethrin active agent,cheaper and easy to find. big thread on the forum about this.once it is dry it is harmless to humans we can break it down(used this all the time in the military it worked for us).....I take a fitted sheet first washed then sprayed......a few times.

this lasts me and prevents bed bugs coming home....those tiny black flies are a irritation if they get into your eye......"SMIDGE SPRAY"work if you remember to bring it. stops flying bags landing on your

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  16. Bijoux

Bijoux New Member

Thank you Highlander. We had used permethrin (on sleeping bags, bag packs and so on) so that might explain why we weren't bother much by bugs. We were also using a silk liner (which we were told bed bugs do not like). We also never put our bags on the road/dirt. Always on a table or chair or one of us holding it for the other. Luckily we did not encounter bed bugs at all. We did meet people who had been bitten by bed bugs. Their bites are quite distinctive. Sorry you had to go through that experience.

shaving my head is not an option I would have been willing to consider. A bit too dramatic for me. I cut my long hair short just so I would not need to carry conditioner. I don't believe the mosquitoes situation require shaving your hair (at least in my experience) ... Flies (little black ones) were on occasion quite annoying but in no significant way harmful (certainly to us). Everyone is different of course but I've met no one during our Camino who suffered from mosquitoes, flies, bees, and/or wasps bites. Some had incomfort at worst. Most were just annoyed to have these flies swarming around. On the plus side when we were moving they were manageable and in the villages basically unseen! By far blisters and sprained knees/ankles were more significant health issues for most!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  17. highlander

Bijoux

I have the odd grey hair anyway(maybe a few)I went completely white when I was 21, due to stress in the job, now COMPLETELY grey, you heard it here first. I had close cropped hair all my life in the forces, then went on to shave twice a day...and I can shave very fast without mirror when down by the river on camino, when you hit a nat or other insect bite ,it bleeds a fair bite, they use my head as a airport. on the blister front.don't get them for me...then I am OCD when it comes to my feet...apparently the shave head look is aback in fashion again, and people do say I look 40.....having a shaved head has many advantages , great for cooling down when you walk,remove hat....look younger..no shampoo saves time....the un-shaved hands in your pocket type not the look for me......smart looking handsome (they say this so it must be true)clean, manikin upright looking is the one for me.

Good tip of yours the keep rucksack of the ground I like to hear that..I also have my rucksack cling wrapped secure seal at stansted airport to keep it clean and if any bedbugs are in transit in other cases or bags then there not moving onto mine in the hold of the plane, very OCD when it comes to bugs....

at airports without secure cling wrap (which insures your bag also)I buy a roll of cling film and do it myself......if you ever been out walking for a while and hit a road into town ,and need a lift, missed the bus or whatever reason. I remove my footwear place them in a plastic bag while standing on another bag checking I am brushed down and presentable does get me lifts I needed one......into car remove plastic bag on floor into a sandwich bag....