1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muxia - worth the extra bit?

Discussion in 'Santiago to Finisterre' started by kelz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. kelz

kelz Guest

The village of Muxia came to my attention the other day as a destination after Finisterre. I understand the path winds along the ocean and is about a day's walk from Finisterre.

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

I haven't bought any books (or gone to the library) so I'm welcome to any pilgrim-related information on this coastal town (beyond Wikipedia!).

Cheers,
    Kelz

2. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Muxia

Hi Kelz

I walked Fisterra to Muxia earlier this year. Muxia isn't much to see apart from the church on the sea shore. However, the walk from Fisterra to Muxia is beautiful and well worth it. It's quite an easy day's walk and the scenery is spectacular.

I did a guide to the Camino Frances which includes Fisterra and Muxia. You can download it from my website below.

Buen Camino!
    Gerald

3. redrat

redrat New Member

Re: Muxia

if there is one place that I will say that you must walk to, is Muxia...
    The path is not well marked but the reward is unreal, this is a path that resembles the old world, there is no one around you and the scenery is beautiful. Take the extra step to go there.

Jackster likes this.
  4. joe

joe Member

Muxia is on my list of places to visit, I will hopefully walk there after Finisterre. I was just wondering though, what time do the buses leave to go to Santiago, and how long do they take?

I just need to know because my flight is 10am, hopefully I'll get back with a day spare to spend in Santiago, but just in case I don't the information on buses would be helpful.

5. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
  6. joe

joe Member

Thanks, I've seen that website while searching other forums. It was last updated in 2008 and further on the forum someone said that the early bus changed from 7.30am to 6.45am. I don't know if that's still the case (or even true), so I came and asked here. I'll always be able to find out when/if I get to Muxia though

7. SDM

SDM Guest

8. unadara

unadara New Member

We decided to get the early bus back into Santiago, went 6.30 ish before the cafes opened, BUT the Cafe at the 2nd bus stop on the sea front does open and the bus stops here too! We laughed as we were all outside the closed cafe except for 1 "local" having her cafe. The bus is a local commuter/student bus and fills up, and the driver told us we couldn't eat our croissant on the bus..haha..there is a later bus around 2pm, but you have to be out of the hostel anyways...we made the mistake of not getting the sello on the way from Finisterre and they wouldn't let us stay in the one hostel..we hadn't walked from Santiago, but from Finisterre.. but another girl hadn't either and she got in because she had her sello on the way from Finisterre..MUXIA is fabulous, coast may be better too in wild wintery weather ?

9. ken huocj

ken huocj Member

better late than never, Muxia is well worth the short eat 'stroll' i walked with a French couple who i met on leaving Fisterra, i had nneither guide nor map, but we arrived a a i/3 occupied Albergue. It was cloudy and windy, sunshine would have been the cherry on the top of a fulfilling 42 day since leaving Loudres via Bayonne and SJPP.
    buen camino

10. schnurzipurz

schnurzipurz New Member

I would say, yes, it's worth. I finished my camino in Muxía around two weeks ago, I didn't see much of the town since it was raining a lot and I left the next morning at 6.45 am - BUT, the cape with the church is kind of magic. I physically felt the energy of this place.

11. Gerry

Gerry Member

Muxia is well worth the visit. Stay at Bela Muxia..a fine alburgue with great facilities and wonderful hospitaleros. The stones and rocks near the church will give you a feeling of just why this place was so important to pagans before christianity. I bussed into Muxia from Santiago and walked on to Finisterre ( 32K) there is a good alburgue at approximately half way if you have the time. Finisterre has great beach if you can find the sun and the lighthouse is about 3 k outside the town and a magical place.

12. Joseph

Joseph New Member

13. Joseph

Joseph New Member

14. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Muxia is very nice place - for me it is nicer than Finisterra. It's quieter place and - in fact westernmost place/point of mainland Spain is near Muxia - Cape Tourinan. If you have enough time, I recommend to visit Finisterra , then walk to Muxia. It is really great end of your Camino walking.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  15. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member