Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

My 52 Day Walk Along The Camino Mozárabe

Discussion in 'Camino Mozárabe' started by Magwood, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

I am posting this in the Via de la Plata forum because there isn't a forum for the Mozárabe. Perhaps we should make a new forum for the Mozárabe as it is slowly gaining in popularity, although I saw only three other pilgrims walking the section between Málaga and Mérida where the Mozárabe joins the Via de la Plata.

To get to the point...I have finally completed and uploaded to Youtube my presentation of my recent walk along the Camino Mozárabe.

It gives a flavour of the way along the Mozárabe from Málaga to Mérida, the Via de la Plata from Mérida to Granja de Moreruela, the Camino Sanabrés from Granja to Santiago de Compostela and finally the Camino Fisterra from Santiago to Finisterre - the end of the world.

Find a bit of space to watch it - it lasts for fifty minutes but was well received without any yawning or snoring by an audience of over thirty last week

2. stewpot

stewpot New Member

Simply awesome!!!
    What a lovely story and such memories
    Well done

3. Magwood

Thank you @stewpot for your kind words

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  4. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    Awesome Maggie! :) Love the music too!

5. Magwood

Thank you David, much appreciated.

6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

it's great! Thanks, @Magwood for this..

7. lucymi

lucymi Member

What a pity I cant't watch the video in Germany. The "GEMA" watchdogs have blocked it because of some law case about music rights and licences. :(.

8. Magwood

Thanks for your kind comment @danvo. Yes, @lucymi I realised that there would be a problem in Germany because of copyright issues. YouTube generally don't make an issue if there is no advertising or monetising of the film. I could have used the uncopyrighted 'musac' that YouTube provide, but I really dislike it.

9. Greg Petropoulos

Greg Petropoulos Thunder1

Magwood: Your film is well done! I'm intending on walking the VDLP solo in the fall of 2016. And having seen a handful of video blogs of this Camino, I found your hike from Malaga to Merida to be an enticing alternative than starting from Sevilla. Though longer, the Mozarabe seems to be a much more beautiful hike to Merida, on the way to Santiago. What's your opinion on the most efficient(least expensive) mode of transportation to Malaga from the USA. I've got plenty of time, but I'm considering flying to London, then flights to either Lisbon or Madrid, then trains all the way to Malaga.

10. Magwood

Thank you @Greg Petropoulos. I haven't walked from Seville to Mérida so I can't compare it to walking from Málaga. But you are quite right, it is mostly a beautiful walk - many days walking through olive groves and then cork oak pastureland. But unless you plan to walk with a companion, be prepared for a very lonely eighteen or so days. I found a walking partner through a pilgrim forum and I was very glad of his company between Málaga and Mérida when we only saw three other pilgrims for a brief while (they had walked from Granada). There are also some quite long stages with no villages inbetween.

You are welcome to take a look at my blog where I posted daily from the camino and I will happily answer any questions you may have.
    http://magwood.me/camino-mozarabe/
    I will eventually get around to posting a review of my camino, so if you want to read this you could click on the 'folloe' button of my blog and receive an email when I post.

As for travelling to Málaga from the USA, I am fairly sure that there are direct flights but I do not know where from in the US. If you do decide to fly via Madrid, then you could take the AVE fast train from Madrid to Málaga, which I believe is quite an experience. As far as I am aware there are flights between Lisbon and Málaga and certainly from London Gatwick to Málaga.

I suggest you take time to explore Málaga which is becoming a very cultured city, and of course take a good look around Córdoba, a charming town with so much to see.
    Happy planning and buen camino

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. sean

sean Active Member

I am lost for words Magwood.
    Thank you,
    Sean,
    Dublin

12. Magwood

@sean, I am hoping 'lost for words' is good? If so, thank you very much. I very much appreciate your comment.
    Maggie

13. sean

sean Active Member

Good morning Magwood,
    Your record of your Camino is fantastic, as is all of your contribution.
    Fan Number 44,999
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

14. Magwood

More like fan number 4... But thank you so much. I love putting these presentations together and any appreciation is really gratefully received.

15. echroman

echroman New Member

Hi All, Where can I get info on all the other Camino out there? Like Portugal, Le Puy, Mozarabe, Via de la Plata, etc. without buying tons of books. I just finished my first walk Oct.3 2015 from STJPP to Santiago and I'm hooked!!!!!! :) Looking for something for next year Sept 2016. thanks for you help!!!

16. Magwood

You can get most of it here @echroman. Welcome to the addicts' club. Have a good search through the threads on this forum for most of the information you will need. When you think of a question you cannot find an answer to, start a new thread and ask that question. You will find many experienced pilgrims ready and willing to help. Then search again for blogs - on this forum and on the web (you might like to start with mine, listed below, covering the caminos Frances, Portuguese and Mozárabe). Planning is all part of the camino experience and fun. Search, digest, ask - simple!

ps...I walked the Mozárabe this year from Málaga, taking in the Via de la Plata, Sanabres, and Fisterra. The first part is a very little walked camino. I didn't buy a guidebook, but searched the Internet, asked questions, downloaded info from GPS sites - there is an abundance of information out there.

Your camino starts with the planning - buen camino!

17. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Hi there! I was reading here and saw Mags response to you... so without stealing your thunder hehe. I'm planning the Mozarabe & VDLP - I am flying Granada on Aug 23, 2016 I'll spend a few days enjoying and then will begin the Mozarabe solo, from there - if you are at all inclined I could meet you somewhere enrolee Malaga to Meridia? I am a bit concerned of the long stretches and remoteness - company might be nice for a bit? though i do love the solo journey too. We could always exchange emails and communicate once we began?? love to hear your thoughts? S

18. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

i am literate but auto correct really messed with my text.

19. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

Hi Ecroman, I also did the same route last fall during Sep - Oct. I loved it and I feel a strong hook to return. So I'm returning, and I am flying to Granada on Aug 23, 2016 , where I'll spend a few days enjoying and then I will begin the Mozarabe solo, from there - via Meridia and then do VDLP to Santiago. Having read a bit...I am concerned of the long stretches and remoteness - company might be nice for a bit? though i do love the solo journey too. If you're interested in a walking partner to start up with... We could always exchange emails and communicate ? love to hear your thoughts? S

20. Suzanne Tessier

Suzanne Tessier Member

I just love your blogs!!!! And I applaud your wunderlust. Unfortunately your youtube isn't available in Canada either!
    I was reading your response to Greg Petrapoulos, and, as a woman who is planning a solo trek, I thought I'd see if you have any thoughts on my route and my safety (not expecting to burden you with that - but your instinct perhaps)
    From Canada, I am flying to Granada in Aug, 2016 , where I'll spend a few days enjoying and then I will begin the Mozarabe solo, from there - via Meridia onto VDLP to Santiago. Having read a bit...I am concerned of the long stretches and remoteness - company might be nice for a bit? as you suggested. However, as much as i love the solo journey I do wonder of my personal safety - perhaps it's too remote or secluded? Being a holy year do you think it might be busier on this route also? Finally, Was there ever a time where a bed was not available - at pilgrim prices?

love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

Suzanne Tessier,

21. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Magwood, Thank you so much for the inspiring trip...took a break from my chores and walked with you! Well done! ...another motivational jewel for me as I am planning my first Camino in April/May 2018.

22. Magwood

Glad you enjoyed it - and that it gave you a rest from your chores!
    Buen camino for 2018!

23. Magwood

Suzanne, so sorry i missed your comment. I was walking the Norte route at the time you posted. Did you walk from Granada. I would love to hear about it.