1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natural Foods To Stay "regular" On The Camino

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Mar 21, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

One of my wife's big concerns before our October, 2015 camino was whether "nature would call" when we were hiking during the day. We both brought small rolls of TP in case this happened. A surprise to both of us is we could walk an entire stage - up to 7 hours or longer and never have to "pee". In hindsight, this was a sign that we were not sufficiently hydrated. I read in Sheryl Strayed's "Wild" that a hiker will be well hydrated if you have to urinate three times during your walk. So during our second camino this fall, we'll be sure to drink more water during the day.

A bigger concern for both of us is that we become very constipated after a few days of hiking. Part of this was due to dehydration. We reflected on the foods we were eating the first few days of our trip. We had eaten bocadillos in Madrid and Pamplona on our way to St Jean, and a panini sandwich for dinner in St Jean. Even though we both like the baguettes, we decided to stop eating bread and change our diets so that we had tortilla espanola (without the bread), paella, olives and fruit during our camino breaks, and salad with olive oil during our pilgrim's meal each evening. Many / all of these serve as natural laxatives and we quickly became "regular" for the rest of the camino. By the way, this was not a hardship, since we loved all these foods ! !

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Great suggestions BCB. As others on this Forum will attest, too, hydration is so important! When walking in the heat or over tough terrain - drink! Although I always looked forward to my first stop in the morning for a delicious café con leche, my late morning intake always included electrolite replacement drinks like Gatorade or Power-aid. My wife happens to be a drinker and I know she'll be regularly sipping from her Camelbak to keep properly hydrated. As for me, I just keep my water bottle full and remember to use it.

A delicious list of foods you've mentioned to stay regular. As a pilgrim, enjoy the culinary treats Spain has to offer! Rarely did I go wrong by choosing the pilgrim's meal. Good food and good company, it's an integral part of the Camino experience!

3. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    After a week on the trail I finally figured out how to stay hydrated and that if I ate just one piece of fruit a day I did not have constipation problems. Fortunately fruit and water are readily available on the Camino and cheap.

hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  4. anniem

anniem Active Member

Up the water intake and stop eating the bread and all will be fine!