1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly There

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by keithlundy1, Apr 22, 2019.

1. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Today became a reality, flights booked, Albergue booked for the first and second night and the last two, parking sorted for my car and feeling fit and ready.
    This will be my third Camino having completed it in 2015 and 2017, I'm not sure if this will be my last as I plan to walk the Way of St Francis next year but I would liked to come back to see the Cathedral defrocked in all it's glory.
    Less than 10 weeks before the flight but this time my girlfriend has agreed to walk it with me, so looking forward to walking together for 32 days and I'm sure we'll share many new and exciting memories together, isn't life exciting. Buen Camino Friends

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Keith, it appears my wife and I have adopted the same camino routine as you. We walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 2015 and 2017 and will walk our third time beginning mid-Sept this year. Air tickets are purchased from Indpls to Barcelona, flight back to Barcelona from Santiago, bus tickets from Pamplona to St Jean. Credentials have been ordered. Still waiting to order train ticket from Barcelona to Pamplona. Apparently this can only be done 4 to 6 weeks prior. I love the planning aspect of the camino and prefer to make overnight reservations ahead to remove any uncertainty of having a nice room waiting for us. We're leaving our sleeping bags behind and have firm reservations for private rooms with private bathrooms for the entire journey.

And like you, we hope this will not be our last camino. An issue for us is that keeping on a two year schedule suggests we walk our fourth camino in 2021, but that is a Holy Year / Ano Santo Jacobeo so we'll avoid the crowds and not walk that year. We may decide to take a brief vacation in Europe in 2021, then walk our fourth in 2022. Buen camino for your third ! Bob

3. calowie

calowie Active Member

Bob. We also flew to Barcelona, and bused to Pamplona, but then went up to San Sebastian and el norte. Have you looked inti fights from Barcelona to San Sebastian (EAS)? There are direct flights for <100. Then take the bus for an hour or so to Pamplona. We will fly through Frankfurt directly to Pamplona, and then the bus. Enjoy!

Amy Brooks, hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Calowie, yes, I've reviewed flight options that you've described. Vueling offers a flight to San Sebastian for only $22 / person. Then the bus ride to Pamplona is only $10 / person (but is a 2 hour ride?). Logistically its a bit complicated since we have trekking poles, a knife and scizzors so we'd need to check these into stowage. Plus we actually enjoy taking the train. Brings me back to my days travelling as a student in the late 70's with a Eurail or Student rail pass. The train ride to Pamplona from Barcelona is about four hours.

Our past two caminos, we've really enjoyed spending a night in Pamplona in a very nice hotel before catching the bus to St Jean. Then only a few days later, we hike into Pamplona and spend the night there again. Pamplona is one of our favorite cities on the camino frances.

Bob

hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and Ginamarie like this.
  5. calowie

calowie Active Member

Bob- Enjoy your trip! I like Barcelona and the train trip to Pamplona, but this time fly with a very god connection directly into Pamplona, then bus to Irun! We are lucky and privileged to be able to do all this fun stuff!

6. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Nearly there is when you check your iphone for the weather at your destination and you are so close - the weather for the day you arrive is within the 10 day weather window!! Porto will be partly cloudy and a high of 67 according to my phone!

I have not pre-booked my bus or train travel from Santiago back to Porto - is this necessary?

I am in the fun pack/repack/repack again phase... so excited.

Buen Camino
    Amy

Bryan Morlock and UnkleHammy like this.