1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing ideas on how to travel from Barcelona to Saint Jean Pied de Port & accommodation

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Leandra Scott, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Hi all, I am travelling alone from Adelaide Australia in early September and flying into Barcelona. I would like to stay somewhere quiet for a couple of days before i begin walking. I don't mind if it's in Barcelona or on the way to SJPdP. Happy to hear suggestions and if you can help with how i would get from Barcelona to SJPdP that would be fantastic. I have lots of other questions but i'll save them for another time.
    Thank you in anticipation Leandra

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Leandra,
    There is an earlier post on this theme and Highlander has given the options available. If you have the time, I would recommend Barcelona for a few days. Great city with lots to see and do. Beware of pickpockets and scams though. Good restaurants also. Try Set Portes at the end of the Ramblas and turn left. Up on the right about 400m. Will set you up for the Camino.
    Enjoy you Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

3. Leeann

Leeann New Member

Hi Leandra

I'm from Canberra and commencing my Camino in late August 2016 and am flying into Barcelona. I was wondering if you could pass on any information that you have about getting from Barcelona to SJdP and any tips? I hope you enjoyed our Camino.

Thank you
    Leeann

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    While waiting others to respond, one way of getting from Barcelona to Saint Jean Pied de Port would be to first catch a train or bus to Pamplona and from there get the direct bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port.

Details of Trains between Barcelona and Pamplona can be found at https://venta.renfe.com with ticket prices starting at less than 20 Euro

Details of busses between Barcelona and Pamplona can be found at https://www.alsa.es/ with ticket prices starting at around 32 Euro

And details of the direct bus from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port can be found at

http://caminoteca.com/en/camino-faq/99-how-to-get-to-saint-jean-pied-de-port-from-pamplona

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

5. Leeann

Leeann New Member

That's very helpful, thanks very much, Rob.

Leeann

6. T70

T70 New Member

Is it possible to bicycle from Barcelona to SJPP within reasonable bounds?
    Can anyone recommend a bike shop in Barcelona where I can buy a used bike?
    Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for any ideas. Buen Camino.
    Tom

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can’t help you with the cycling side of things, but I can suggest a route for you to take from Barcelona to Saint Jean Pied de Port – That is "The Camí de Sant Jaume - 280k Montserrat to Zaragoza" – Then from Zaragoza the route continues (Sometimes now called “The Route de Ebro”) to Logrono and from there, you could backtrack to Saint Jean Pied de Port along The Camino Frances.

There would be several advantages about utilising the pilgrimage routes on your bike ride and these include availability of inexpensive accommodation, a waymarked route that has guidebooks available and keeping off the more major roads

I walked The Camí de Sant Jaume myself and have written up my trek notes at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/20eeb1/ which might be useful reading for you

Good Luck

Rob

8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Rob - Really enjoyed looking at your photos from along the Camí de Sant Jaume. It looks to be a good route for cycling and another idea for a future Camino! Thanks for sharing the link.

9. T70

T70 New Member

Thanks so much for responding, Rob! Yes, that is the route I'll take.