1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Backpack Designs

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Wily, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

For 2017, Osprey has redesigned their Sirrus 36 and Stratos 36 models. Both packs still have the key features available in the older models, but some changes have been made to storage pockets and entry into the packs. The new packs appear to cost about $170, but you can still find the older model available online for significantly less. If you haven't decided on a pack yet, check out these two Osprey models.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Thanks Wily,
    You always have a wealth of information. That's awesome, and a real treat for us newbies. When
    does your next issue of WILY'S TRAVEL AND BACKPACKER magazine get delivered? Ha...
    sign me up!

Laurie Ferris, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  3. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - I'll be blogging from Portugal as of Friday. Hope you call look in from time to time! I've already posted my packing list with weights that some may find helpful. Preparation was really great fun! I'm just as excited this second time to take those first steps again toward Santiago. Buen Camino!

4. hindsfeet

Great Wily, I will be tuning in on your walk for sure!
    Buen Camino!!

5. hindsfeet

Wily, just checked out your blog with packing list. That was a help, want to pack light as well.
    Looking forward to your blog and pics of you and Nancy enjoying your Camino!!

Wily likes this.
  6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

Wily, don't forget to have a glass of red for me! I will be following the Portugal part with great interest. My wife laughed at me when I suggested doing this trail, as she had to bribe me to do the original from France in 2015!

hindsfeet, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  7. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Wily and Nancy, just saw your blog and I wish you only the best on your camino. Look out for each other and make wonderful memories to enjoy. I take pleasure in reading all your information and your blog. The backpacks look great and ready for an adventure. Maya

Crepes4Suzette, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  8. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Best of Luck Wily. Hope you have a great Camino.

We start from Logrono on Sunday hoping to get as far as Fromista this time. Unfortunately the weather forecast isn't great but I'm sure it will all add to the Camino experience. Hope the weather on the Poruguese route is better :).

Buen Camino

Greg

PS Love the Blog!

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  9. Wily

Hey Greg - Best of luck to you as well! Saturday looks to be a lovely day for our first steps north out of Porto. At this point, the forecast is indicating some showers after that. But as you said, it's all part of the Camino experience! We have our rain gear and we're ready for whatever Mother Nature throws at us. Really looking forward to walking! Safe travels and enjoy your Camino!

10. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Wily, I'll be looking forward to your blog and hope to hear what the road-walking is like on the Portuguese. The happiest Camino ever to you and your wife, and safe travels!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Greg, you too! I can barely stand not being out hiking - you guys are the advance guard for this year. Hope to hear all about your Camino. I don't know what your plans are, but in Fromista, I splurged and stayed in a GREAT hotel - The Hotel Dona Mayor (a ways down the main corridor of the town perpendicular to the Camino). They have a lovely, trendy-ish dining area with a nice patio to relax on, and balconies in the rooms, should you and your partner want a treat.

You'll like the lovely canal-walking on the way to Fromista too, I'll bet. The very best to you for a happy Camino!

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  12. Greg Canning

Hi C4S (hope you don't mind me shortening your "name" :)

Thanks for the good wishes. I had checked out the Dona Mayor but it is full on the date we are there. However, we are treating ourselves to a night in the Parador in Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

Have to say I'm really looking forward to it.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  13. Crepes4Suzette

I like the name shortening:0)). Wow! Enjoy the Parador:0)). I loved Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Lively town with kind people.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  14. hindsfeet

wow, a lot of pilgrims heading out about now. I feel the excitement! I surely don't want to
    wish my life away, but 13 more months for me!! I will be looking forward to following your
    blogs. C4S, are you venturing out as well?
    Buen Camino to all!

15. Wily

Hey C4S - I, too, hope Greg enjoys Santo Domingo. It was one of numerous favorite places of mine on the Camino. I happened to be there on a weekend, so I thoroughly enjoyed the sidewalk cafes and tapas. The cathedral with its rich history is quite spectacular. I was fortunate enough to catch a concert there the night I was in town. If anyone is looking for simpler accomodations in Santo Domingo, try the Casa de la Cofradía de Santo near the cathedral. With very modern facitities, it's an excellent place to spend the night and centrally located in the heart of Santo Domingo.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  16. Crepes4Suzette

OK, I have a favorite to add to Santo Domingo de la Calzada too - not so good if you feel like being social, but the Hospederia Cisterciense in the middle of town takes reservations on Booking.com (but you'll get a much better rate if you book with them directly via email as a pilgrim) or by their website and is run by very sweet nuns who will give you a very clean and cozy room in a home-like atmosphere. It cost 30 Euro for a single. I passed by the Casa de la Cofradia, Wily - it looked especially nice. Would stay there anytime also.

Greg Canning, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  17. Crepes4Suzette

Hindsfeet - not yet, and I can hardly contain myself. First training walk yesterday, just 5K of hillwalking to start. I've had some medical stuff going on, so am getting a late start training for this year. I haven't decided even the month for certain yet, although will probably do the Norte from Bilbao, head down to Oviedo, and see if I can find others heading over the Primitivo. If not, I may head back up to Aviles and continue on the Norte. When will you be heading out?

18. hindsfeet

C4S- Hope you are fully recovered and that your training will take you to your next Camino at the
    perfect time. I won't be leaving until the very end of April, 2018. I'm very anxious, but not ready
    yet. Life has a way of throwing in a few curve balls.....when you aren't wearing a glove!! So, I'm
    learning a few things about "CHANGE". CHANGE IS LIKE THE WIND, RESIST IT, AND IT CAN
    HARM YOU, HARNESS IT, AND YOU CAN FLY! It's funny, I haven't walked my first Camino yet,
    and I am already planning the following year's Camino. Ha!! I sure hope that I run into some of
    the pilgrims on this forum, how fun!!

19. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

On the subject of curve balls. I'll PM you

20. calowie

calowie Active Member

c4s. The geography between Bilbao and Oviedo is tremendous- and for us the trip from San Sebastian to Bilbao was amazing as well. Oviedo is a big city and we only saw the people with whom we shared a private albergue. However the next day, as we started on the primitivo we saw several packs. There will be many walkers, but you may not see them easily at first in the city. Our itinerary and photos can be found at: https://carlosandmick.wordpress.com/
    Take the Primitivo- it is amazing and cross hospitales if the weather is clear- absolutely amazing!

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  21. Denielle

Denielle New Member

My daughter and I will be doing the CF aiming to leave SJJP on May 5th 2018 ... we may bump into each other? I will be going at a snails pace at this rate ... have started to train but only a little - I have a VERY long way to go!

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  22. hindsfeet

That is great Denielle! Good possibility of bumping into you both! I plan on taking a few rest days maybe in Pamplona, Leon, or.......when ever I feel the urge. You are blessed....I would
    love to walk the Camino with my daughter. They have a special needs son, and she would never leave him for the Walk. I have a very long way to go also! But, stick with it, we will
    make it. Life is beautiful, filled with opportunities, choices, pain, joy, more pain....ha!! I have
    found a TRUTH......well, let's say a friend told me about it....and I (being stubborn) had
    tested it out for myself. And it works every single time. "IT IS NOT ONLY DIFFICULT, IT
    IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE TO DISCOURAGE A THANKFUL HEART". Whenever you
    feel discouraged, depressed, unmotivated,........search inside yourself.....find what you are
    not being thankful for. When you do, because it will be made known to you...your thinking
    will change everything. Keeping a thankful heart is HUGE!! Let's do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Buen Camino Denielle!

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  23. Denielle

Denielle New Member

Thank you hindsfeet - what wonderful advice :) I will most definately use that :)
    I am so very blessed to be able to walk with my daughter - we are so very excited. I'm sorry that you cannot walk with your daughter, but it does sound like she is more needed at home for now.
    We will make it - one foot infront of the other ... I feel very blessed that I can actually even think about doing this .... see you along the way - Buen Camino Hindsfeet

24. Crepes4Suzette

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply, Calowie. This helps - first because amazing scenery is one of the top priorities and also just to know that there is a chance of finding others to be loosely around. I'll stay at an albergue in Oviedo. If you have one that you recommend, I'd love to hear of it. Also, thanks for your blog link - I really enjoyed it!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  25. anniem

anniem Active Member

Thanks Wily, that's interesting. I took the Sirrus 36 on my Camino and it was very good except for the badly designed mesh pockets for drink bottles. They were badly angled and not big enough. I do hope the new design is better.

Wily likes this.
  26. Wily

Hey Anniem - Not sure if any changes were made to the side mesh pockets. I have last year's model which I do like very much. However, you are correct about getting the water bottle in and out of the pockets. I find it large enough; but difficult to put the bottle back in. For anyone traveling alone, this would be annoying. The Swedish pack I used last year was no better in this respect.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  27. Greg Canning

Hi Hindsfeet

Absolutely love this sentiment. Every morning of our Camino we stopped and took a moment to ask ourselves what we were thankful for. Of course it included each other, our health, jobs that provide the funds and time to allow us do our Camino, the beautiful places we walked through, the friendship of others, our families and much much more. Taking the time out to recognise the gifts we have and to breathe in the wonderful air and to stop and see all the beauty around us is very restorative and something we can easily forget in the mad rush of modern life.

The Camino provides in so many many ways.

Buen Camino

Greg

Wily and hindsfeet like this.
  28. hindsfeet

You 'hit the mark' Greg! Life moves like a breath...here and gone in but a moment. Once
    you experience the joy of a grateful heart...........you never want to settle for less again.
    Thank you kindred brother!

Wily likes this.