1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Girl !

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jax, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Jax

Jax New Member

Hi , Ive just signed up and planning to start the Camino in late May / early June . Just saying hello as a start .
    Bit daunting but its got to happen ! Jax

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Jax, welcome to the forum! Hope you can find here all useful informations :)

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. Dave2525

Dave2525 New Member

Buen Camino Jax!

Which route are you taking? CF?

4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hello Jax,
    You came to the right place! You won't be able to stay away from this forum...
    especially if you say it has "GOT" to happen. I am new also, but feel so comfortable
    gaining insight, advice, motivation, and info from everyone here. I have a year
    before I set foot on foreign ground...but my Camino has already begun and I am
    savoring each preparation I make as part of my journey. I feel like I am still
    spinning my safe cocoon, ha, but excited about experiencing something outside
    the norm. Welcome and Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  5. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Hi @Jax and welcome to the forum. Use the search facility before asking for advice, and if you don't find what you are looking for, then ask away. There is a great bunch of experienced pilgrims on this forum who are keen to help newbies.
    Buen csmino!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

You are right Magwood.....about searching past threads first. This is the first forum
    I have ever been on, so it took me a while to navigate and learn what to do so that I
    won't ask redundant advice or questions. Thank you experienced pilgrims for being
    patient with me! I cherish your input and look forward to contributing to this
    forum myself in the future!

Jax and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. Jax

Jax New Member

Thankyou all . This is the start and I appreciate all your comments . Lots to learn but I am already looking forward to it all .Probably won't start now until middle of June , hope not too hot into July .

8. Jax

Jax New Member

Not sure what CF is ?? Very new ! Will find out

9. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

CF is just an abbreviation for Camino Francés.

10. Jax

Jax New Member

Of course ! Yes I am planning that route .

UnkleHammy likes this.
  11. Mary

Mary Member

Welcome Jax,
    This site has been a God send for me. So much great information and the people are the BEST! My daughter and I are setting out on our journey the first part of June. Take advantage of every piece of advice and ask questions. Good Luck and Buen Camino!

12. Jax

Jax New Member

Thanks Mary . Buen Camino to you and your daughter . I am looking forward to starting now .
    Yes , this is a very useful forum and friendly . Really helps .Its quite daunting setting off on your own .

13. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Have a great Camino!

14. Lonnie Hawkins

Lonnie Hawkins New Member

Good Morning
    Your first day will be the hardest. I would recommend you break it up and do it in 2 days. You can stay at Orisson but you need to make reservation way ahead of time. Buen Camino

UnkleHammy likes this.
  15. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

The secret to a good day crossing the Pyrenees is being in good shape. Although the first day is the longest uphill climb on the CF, there are other uphills where good conditioning really helps. By mountain hiking standards, the climb over the Col de Lepoeder is pretty pilgrim friendly. Although it is 20 km uphill, most of it is on a paved path. No scampering up any goat trails! Slow and easy wins the day! On the last 5 km down to Roncesvalles stay on the road as the path through the woods can be difficult particularly since most people are already tired.

The late-April morning I left SJPP, some 300+ other pilgrims also trekked out of town. As there are only 28 beds in Orisson, most people do the SJPP to Roncesvalles stage in one day. There are a number of tough days on the Camino. Therefore, being in very good physical condition just makes everything easier. Train for your Camino! Whatever you do to prepare ahead of time will pay great dividends during your walk. Buen Camino!

16. Scarlet Fez

Scarlet Fez New Member

Buen Camino Jax.
    Young or Old you are going to take part in an experience that will stay with you in many ways for the rest of your life. Take your time to read the advise that is available. There are other options so not having to St Jean to Roncesvalles in one hit on your first day. Time can be made up elsewhere if your on a tight schedule. Some push themselves to hard that first day and pay later. Remember it is not a race but an experience.

danvo likes this.