Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Welcome to the forum, please take a minute to introduce yourself, and if you wish, tell us a little about yourself, and maybe when you are walking if you have plans already.

Please do not use this thread to ask questions. Please ask question in the relevant forum.

Thanks

If you have any problems on the site let me know.

Jose and David Moores like this.
  2. Iassak

Iassak New Member

Hey so you are Leslie, thanks for getting me back on this site. Will be going on my 5th. Camino this year plan on doing Via de la Plata with a young friend from church he is an avid hiker so should be no problem...trying to groom him on the Camino. We will leave at the beginning of September need to have surgery to repair a bad knee torn cartilage..last year had to spend a number of days recuperating 3 days spent in Burgos....wish me luck on the surgery,
    Iassak

Kim Federici likes this.
  3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    I hope the surgey goes well, welcome to the forum.

I had surgry after my last Camino for two hernias which came to light about 10 days before Santiago - not a lot of fun.

4. Roe

Roe Member

This is an awesome forum. Thank you so much for all the work you do for all of us. I am leaving for my first camino in 67 days and cannot cannot cannot wait! I am looking forward to an experience/adventure of a lifetime.

Kim Federici and Lesley keft like this.
  5. Boston Bill

Boston Bill New Member

:cool:

Hi Forum- This is a great site! Thank you everyone for contributing. A real Camino Community! I am doing my 1st Frances St. James Camino in June for 33 days from SJPP. I am celebrating my 50th b'day and starting alone. Know it will be spiritually fulfilling on many levels and will take each day as a gift with whomever I meet. I just had arthroscopic meniscus surgery on my right knee but will be ready by June 20th to walk The Way. I have been thinking about this trip for 2 years' now. I can not wait. Until then I will continue to enjoy this forum. Buen Camino- Boston Bill

6. Hi All-- thanks so much for this wonderful place to get my questions answered! My husband and I saw the movie "The Way" friday night and I just can't stop thinking how much I'd like to experience it... I've spent multiple hours perusing this spot and the web and I know we will go! It will probably be in 2014 (gotta get the kids out of the house), and we will not do the whole thing at once, but I'm excited in advance! Looking forward to getting educated-- I love to plan trips, that's half the fun-- keep posting for me!
    Elaine

BelindaSBrown likes this.
  7. cactuscathy

cactuscathy Guest

Hi Pilgrims --- I have to say I can't believe how this passion has suddenly overtaken me. And yes for me the impetus was the film "The Way". However, I think I will do this in 2013 when I will be 72; the time is not right this year. I live in Mexico and teach English; the past few years, I have described myself as a gypsy, but now am thinking Pilgrim may be the new me.

8. Vivi Avigal

Vivi Avigal Guest

Hi I am also NEW and began to plan to start El Camino on June 1st, 2013. Yes, in over a year, but my journey begins today. I need the physical exercise and the silent walks every day. One excuse will be to prepare for El Camino, but what I am really looking forward is to put myself in a discovery journey today! I am an artist but not living my life a 100% or at least it feels like that.
    I am not sure if I will do El Camino alone or with my family yet, I am open to have it be however it evolves into.
    I will be happy to keep in touch with others who are looking at 2013 and the journey that will it all involve.
    Vivi Avigal.

9. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hello everyone.
    This forum has been invauleable to me in preperation for my camino. I only have two weeks, so am starting from Leon. I fly to Valladolid this Friday morning, and my backpack is packed and waiting for me. I look at it every morning on my way out to work!
    Whilst here, I would like to thank Leslie, and also Husky Nurd for all their great advice and information. Planning has certainly been easier due to this forum. Huskys bullet proof packing list is a must for anyone planning to walk.
    So, to anyone out there wondering, dreaming, planning to go on their own pilgrimage, make it happen!!
    Buen camino a todo!

10. davi

davi Guest

im packed thanks to all who have shared their dreams tips great forum.i walkin peace,this budhist is taking one of the many ways up the mountain,see you at the summit.leaving ST JEAN 23 MARCH.

11. NZ kiwi

NZ kiwi New Member

Hi everyone,
    I saw 'The Way' on my flight to Paris in December and although I knew about the Pilgrimage I never really believed I would be doing it til then. I am living in Provence at the moment and have been studying this forum for the last month, great tips especially for packing. Apart from the physical prep I am ready to go and plan to be on the road at St Jean 25/4/12, so not long. I am nervous and excited to be doing this. I am a woman travelling alone and can't wait to meet fellow pilgrims and find out a bit more about me too. This is a great forum to learn and share on.

Cheers

12. SparrowGirl

SparrowGirl New Member

Hey Shaun,
    Hello neighbour! (You're just up the road from me, I live in Ifield)
    I'm so jealous that you get going on your camino tomorrow - I still have to wait another 2 whole months (65 days to be exact!), and I just cannot wait to get on my way. Please come on when you return and let us know how it went. The tricks and tips on here are so valuable.
    Buen camino.

13. Shaun

Shaun New Member

Hey Sparrowgirl!
    I have now repacked my rucksack (again), and its by the front door! I have to get up at 2am to walk to Gatwick, and start my train trip to Stanstead for a 6.30 am flight! Excited? an understatement!
    I will tell you all about it when I get back.
    Hasta pronto y buen camino
    Shaun

14. guidance

guidance Member

Hi,you wont be alone,i arrive at Biarritz on the same date,around 16.45,i am staying the first night at the L,Esprit du Chemin,if you see an oldish guy with a beard,say hello bobby and buy him a beer,take care have a good journey

15. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi all, I am hoping to walk in Sept this year or if not prob May 2013. This is a great site. I am looking forward to planning my camino and hearing other peoples experiences.

16. birder

birder Guest

I am searching for cheap flights and just dreaming of doing the walk and grateful for any info I get. Hoping to get the Pilgrim's Guide from the library soon, and keep picking my neighbor's brain who did the Camino Francés, but started at Roncesvales, which I'd like to do. I speak a bit of Spanish (Mexico) so will get by okay and love to walk. If Granny D could do her amazing walk, I too can do a lovely 500 mile walk at 72 yr old! Do it while I can :)

17. mpd

mpd Guest

hello everyone, my name is Michael and I am From Sydney. I will be arriving in St Jean Pied De Port on the 3rd of April and plan to leave for santiago on the 4th. This is my first camino I am both excited and nervous at the same time hope to see you along the way

18. Tylor

Tylor Guest

Hey all!

New to the forum, but have spent all day reading it. I've done a lot of hiking and a priest friend of mine told me about the Camino. I was instantly interested and have started reading up on it. I have all my usual gear from hiking and camping and some money saved up that was to go on a vacation this summer. However, in light of this discovery, I might use it for a pilgrimage. Still thinking about it, though. I will start Seminary this next fall and figured this was a great way to prepare, in a sense.

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the information you have.

19. globetrekker

globetrekker New Member

Hello all! My name is Rene. I'm planning on making my first Camino de Santiago in April of 2012 (although if a miracle occurs then I'd be going in April of 2012). During the past few of months, I've experienced some major difficulties as the sudden loss of a loved one which have made me go deep within. Due to this I have this uncanny desire of just letting go of everything, take off to some far off place for a while, commune with nature, and meditate while I just walk. So, you might say that the reasons for taking this trip are deeply spiritual. I've always been known for walking very long distances, although nothing nearly as long as this. However, I'm sure I'd do well and I'm up for the challenge. Since making the decision to go I've felt a positive change within.

I'm very grateful to have found such a wonderful website with practically anything you need to know on making the journey. Anybody who'd like to say "hello" would be most welcome!

20. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Buen camino Michael. I would love to be going so soon

21. globetrekker

globetrekker New Member

Hello Everyone! Although I've known about the Way to Santiago de Compostela for many years, it never occurred to me to take the route until just recently--thanks to the movie--. Watching it "hit home" in many ways and I think it would be a marvelous way to get back in touch with myself, with God, and the world. Thank you very much for having such a helpful website for people like us to explore!

22. Hello all!
    Just wanted to say Hi. I have been reading for a while but wanted to say a huge "Thank You" to all who have posted all the great information. I don't think I have a single question that has not been answered by perusing the posts. I am planning to walk the Camino in September of 2013. It will definitely be an adventure. I am now busily researching gear and the like in preparation. Good luck to everyone with their adventures.

23. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi Rene, did you mean you plan to go in April 2013, I am not sure whether to go in sept this year or april/may of 2013. I am having difficulty deciding. Also are you walking alone ?

24. legs_lwhite

legs_lwhite Guest

Hi All,

Also to add my thanks to all those who have spent a lot of time and wisdom putting this forum together. I leave next week for SJPP. I have 3 weeks so am open to not getting to Santiago this time. I may switch from the Frances to the Norte then to the Primitivo at Oviedo depending on weather and energy or may stay on the Frances the whole way. I have an open mind and will walk where the road takes me. I've known about the Camino for years but the idea of travelling it has soldified over the last month. I'll be walking alone, but up for conversation and learning along the way. I hope to be heading out of SJPP on April 1st or 2nd. Perhaps I will see some of you out there.

25. globetrekker

globetrekker New Member

Dollmac,

You're correct. I'm planning to go in April of 2013, God willing, of course. I would have loved to have gone this April but a journey such as this requires quite a bit of preparation and resources.

I hear that September is the rainy season in the region (I'll have to do more research on that) and so it may take additional time to reach Santiago de Compostela. At the moment I'm walking alone but I wouldn't mind at all finding some walking companions as they would be an invaluable source of support to one another. Do let me know if you make the Camino in September as I would love to hear of your experiences. Buen Camino!

26. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Oh, I agree ! I agree !

Tylor -

There are so many opportunities for communion with God on this journey. They will sneak up on you and touch you as deeply as you have ever been touched. ;)

I remember stopping at the Church of Saint Mary of Eunate. A wedding had recently been celebrated, and the Blessed Sacrament was still in residence. I was anything but in a spiritual mood, but as I went into my "3-point kneel" (left knee, right knee, forehead to the floor), the tears just flowed and flowed and flowed ... <sigh> ... what a wonderfully close moment to Christ ! No idea why I cried ... wasn't sad, or happy ... probably just the dust from the floor. :eek:

All the best, mi hermano, as you pursue your vocation !

27. Tess

Tess Guest

Hello!

I have just begun my research on the Camino de Santiago and already know in my heart this is a pilgrimage I must venture to make; sooner than later. It is interesting to learn how the seed of this journey begins to take root for each pilgrim. I look forward to learning how to make this a successful endeavor for myself. I see this as an opportunity to test my own salt in the sea that is the world at large.

Thank you for this lovely site/meeting place!

28. robert26

robert26 Guest

Hi there..... My name is Robert and I am flying into Madrid, from Canada, arriving Monday 2nd April 2012.

Once in Madrid, I will probably take a train to Pamplona and then a bus to Roncesavales., where I will begin my Camino.

This is something I have wanted to do for a long time and now my time is almost here. I am sooooooooooooooooo excited.

I hope to meet many of you along THE WAY.

Robert

29. brianw

brianw Guest

I am a new Camino planner as well! I have never felt this strongly about anything that has come before in my life.

Someone I knew began and finished this journey, and I want to experience the change that has occured in him. He is more at rest, more peaceful, more accepting, and just a better man for the experience. After only a few days research, I found this sight and it contains a wealth of information as well as a comraderie that only comes from (from what I understand) being involved in this pilgrimage.

30. Tao65

Tao65 New Member

Hello fellow peregrino,
    I too, intend on embarking the Camino in Sept beginning on the 2nd or 3rd and am also looking for a walking companion.I have recently began my daily research and will be coming from Texas for my adventure of change of spiritually awareness.Please indicate if you would like to correspond.I will begin Camino in St Jean De Pied to Santiago de Compostella then to Fistinerri and pehaps to Muxia.I will possibly spend two night stays once a week for rest and major points if interest.Please reply and Buen Camino! :)