1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tao65

Tao65 New Member

Hello all,
    I too will begin my first Camino September 2012 and am extremely excited.I will be embarking my "Spiritual Journey" to gain a greater perspective of inner self,nature and universe.I hope to see and meet other pregrino's alike and EXPERIENCE the gift "The Way" promises.Buen Camino! :)

2. Cynth

Cynth Guest

Hi! I'm Cynth from Sydney. I've recently moved to Spain and it dawned on me that now I have no reason not to do the Camino. Hence, I'm all booked to do a 10 day walk from Ponferrada beginning the last week of April. I can't even begin to express how excited I am. I'm already backing my pack (mentally, of course). The only thing I can't decide on is which jacket to bring. Will it be cold/wet enough to bring my North Face Evolution 2 in 1, or just a softshell and wear a fleecy jacket underneath. First world problem. Sigh....

3. jmurphy

jmurphy Guest

Hi folks, i hope all is well. I am doing the camino de santiago whole journey for the first time. We are taking on the whole route for charity, training has been going well and we are confident. Being our first time we would like to know how easy it is with getting hostels at night time when arriving in destinations? There is going to be four of us doing it together.

4. Walking Jane

Walking Jane Guest

Hello,
    Has anyone walked the Camino in Sept/Oct?? What was the weather like?

This is the time I have available to me and I'm hoping the weather will cooperate.

5. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

6. sallyann

sallyann Guest

Hi just joined would i feel safe walking in the summer with my children?

7. StorkRN

StorkRN New Member

Walking Jane,
    Hi, my name is Danette and I walked from SJPP to Santiago in Sept. 2010. The weather was perfect! A few very hot days, but only 3 days of rain and two of those were in Santiago! Blackberries are in season and all along the route! Buen Camino!
    Danette

8. StorkRN

StorkRN New Member

My name is Danette and I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago in Sept. of 2010. I loved it and couldn't wait to return. I was scheduled to walk the Camino Portuguese in August of 2011, but I ended up having an extensive knee reconstruction instead! I'm ecstatic to say I'm rescheduled to do the Camino Portuguese this May and I can not wait! Thanks to this forum, I knew exactly what to pack last time and feel confident going in to this one! The advice was and is invaluable. Thank you to everyone who shares! This journey will change your life and you will meet life-long friends! Buen Camino!
    Danette

9. l.marieS

l.marieS Member

Hi, Tess, I have read several books that have mentioned the Camino de Santiago, but only recently have been thinking more and more about going on the pilgrimage. My husband & I rented "The Way" last night and now planning, researching is foremost in my head-I'm spinning! Thing is, where to start? How to beginning training? We're both in our mid 60's and in very good health. I hope you continue to post and share your progress as you learn and plan and reach for this worthy goal. Although I haven't make the pilgrimage, in my heart and head, I wish you buen camino.

10. bljth

bljth Guest

What a wonderful way to get information. We are in our 60's and just got tired of talking about doing the walk. Set a goal of May of 2013. So many questions, but it sounds like there is plenty of experience on this forum.

11. cmazzucca

cmazzucca Guest

I just watched The Way 3 times over the weekend & thought it was awesome. Of course today my fingers have hit the internet to do some research on the Pilgrimage. My new mission is now to do it as well & learn as much as I can between now & then, whenever then is. I hope that when comes I might have a companion to go with me. As of today however I am unemployed & searching for my next job. So when might be a while due to lack of money. It sucks to be poor. I am an accountant by trade so if anyone knows of an accounting job I would love to know about it. I live in Charlotte, NC USA & am open to relocation anywhere. Wish I were going on trek in a couple of weeks like Ms. Providence above. I to look forward to learning more about myself & hoping to become close to our God!

Craig

12. CaptBuddy

CaptBuddy Guest

Hello. I'm Marcel from Tampa, Fl.
    My wife, Beth, and I are going to do the Sarria to Santiago section in Sept. 2012. This will be a first step for us, as we plan on doing the entire Camino Frances in 2014.
    We are fortunate that we can combine the Camino trip with a visit to Santander to see our family and friends.
    We are both very excited about this trip, and think we will pop long before September. :)

13. combat medic

combat medic New Member

Hi. Looking to walk this summer. This forum is great. I have been pretty much around the world and just need to fo some sole searching.

14. Tao65

Tao65 New Member

Hello Walking Jane,
    I will also be walking the Camino Frances(*solo)in Sept-Oct 2012.Maybe we can be walking companions of leaving SJDP at same time.Please reply.<Tao>

15. Shayna

Shayna New Member

Hi everyone, I'm looking to do the walk in may of 2013,I'm pretty new to hiking and this will be my first time outside of the country on a hiking trip to this extent I'm starting to do my research and set money, for the people who have done it before approx. how much money is it? As well i was reading u need a pilgrim passport would I just pick that up at the start in st jean? Any information would help out tons! Thanks a bunch

16. Shayna

Shayna New Member

Hi everyone, I am hoping to walk the Camino in April/May 2013, this will be one of my first hikes outside of Canada and I am So excited for it, I am starting to look at gear and the approx. amount of money that will be needed, I am going to start in St Jean Pied de Port, as of now I am going alone, what has everyones experience's been like? As well how is the weather around April/May. I dont want to go in the busy season and I've been reading that May is a good month to go. I saw that there are guided tours and I would prefer to just go at it without a guided tour, would this be a good idea? Or is it better to have a guided tour, for sleeping and eating/ communication purposes?
    Any info would help a bunch.
    Thanks
    Shayna

17. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Hi Craig -

Hang in there, brother ! I went through 3 firings/hirings before I was able to find the time and finances to make the Camino a reality. Be assured that God will guide you. Be sure to do your part !

So ... what it is you need to learn between now & then ? The more specific you can be about that, the less time it will take to be then ! :D

Suggestion ... read The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People by Stephen Covey. If you are Catholic, seek out a Cursillista in your parish.

All the best !

18. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Hi murph -

Much depends on when you are walking. Also, as you get nearer to Santiago, the crowds get bigger, so lodging gets more difficult to find.

Suggest you let your lead person ... the one who walks ahead of everyone else for one reason or another ... be responsible for reserving space at an agreed upon location. Make sure you have a Plan B. And a Plan C. Communication will be important, as even the best laid plans will need adjustment.

As an alternative, you can do this through any number of tour offerings, with assured lodgings, but it will be more expensive.

Buen Camino !

19. Lynnek

Lynnek New Member

Hi, I'll also be walking in late Aug all of Sept starting off at SJPDP. Coming solo from Australia. Happy to say hi to one and all on the Way.

20. DavidG

DavidG New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to forums, so hopefully I'm doing things right! I've just turned 65, retired, so now I'm free to undertake the Camino! I plan to start at St Jean Pied de Port early September. My main concern is how to get to St Jean as economically as possible. I will be travelling from Scotland. Is it best to try and get a flight to Biarritz? Any advice would be welcome. And also, what is like at St Jean - are there any problems there? I hope that once I start walking my worries will cease!

21. Eliza

Eliza New Member

Hi all! just found this site, my friend and I are doing part of the Camino at the end of April 2012, Sarria to Sandiago. I have read several books which have effected me deeply and have seen 'The Way' have felt for awhile now this is something I should do, I need to find myself, I am quite a spiritual person but still feel lost in the wilderness, if that makes sense. Not thinking about the cost etc, just know this is the time to do it, and after talking to a friend one weekend just a few weeks ago we booked it and we are off soon. Would love to hear from someone who has done this part of the journey. Thanks Eliza.x

22. Lynnek

Lynnek New Member

Hi all,
    I'm a 61 year old solo female traveller from Australia heading towards my first Camino starting in late August this year. I've put aside 5 weeks to finish the Way. I figure at my age I need a little bit extra time and, also, I want to really savour the experience. This forum has been absolutely marvellous for assistance with everything that I need to know about getting there, what to pack, planning etc. I look forward to hearing from/seeing all of you along the Way. How extraordinarily lucky are we to be undertaking this journey?

23. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi DavidG,
    I am flying in to Biarritz. Then getting a bus to Bayonne and a train to ST Jean, I believe that there can be a wait to get the train. It is prob the most economical way to go i know both bus and train only cost a few euro. i also intent to start in early sept hope fully 1st or 2nd i just have to book my flight, hopefully later today. This is a great forum I am slowly working my way through it and picking up loads of helpful information. i also read somewhere here that you can get private transport to SJ and if there are a few people there it works out very reasonable but pricey for going alone. Anyway you will get loads of help from the people on this. Buen Camino.

Dolmac

24. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

I did this part 4 years ago with 2 friends and loved it. It has been with me ever since so as I reached 50 before christmas I decided that i would do it all before the year was over. I am planning my journey at the min. i am going alone this time!!! You will love it and it is a lovely time of year i remember the beautiful spring flowers, the amazing smells going through the woodlands and beautiful hamlets along the way. The weather was lovely too but can be changeable. I hope you have a great time and be prepared to want togo back and do it all some day !!!

Buen Camino
    Dolmac

25. Boston Bill

Boston Bill New Member

Hello Camino Community-
    I have begun the finalisation of my June trip to SJPP and onward to Santiago...Finistere ward. I have used all of the expertise and suggestions on this forum and am mentally ready. I have researched the route, planned *(as best one can until on the Camino) where to go and potentially, bought my equipment, and packed it several times, broke in my hiking boots, and am ecstatic about the opportunities I will encounter. I am practicing my Spanish phrases, walking daily *(with and without poles), and wish to thank all those on this Forum for their questions and all the replies...they really are wonderful. I wish all those going in April and May a "Buen Camino" and hope to meet some others going between June 22-July 27 along the Way! Amazing stories and experiences shared here! Thanks and keep writing questions and stories for me to reflect on! I hope to be able to add my experiences and thoughts more vividly soon! Gratefully-

26. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Hi Eliza !

Try typing in "Sarria" in the Search field (above, right corner). There are 100 threads with the word Sarria in it, so you ought to be able to find lots of helpful stuff already written.

All the best !

27. Eliza

Eliza New Member

Hi all
    can anyone tell me if you need to get a passport before you begin the Camino (and can you do it before you leave England?) as my friend and I are going over at the end of April 2012 and are unsure what we need to do we are starting in Sarria, also is anyone also doing this journey around the same time as we would love to hear from you. Thanks Eliza

28. Airelle

Airelle New Member

Hello everyone! I'm Janay. First of all I wanted to thank the people on this site that makes it so helpful and welcoming. I can literally spend hours reading about useful tips and other's journeys.

I'm in the final year of university and planning to embark upon the Camino in June. I am so excited! I have this overwhelming feeling that this is just something I need to do. It is our actions and experiences in life that shape who we are; I feel this is supposed to be part of me.

Hopefully I am keep you updated on my journey.

Janay

29. Platty

Platty Guest

Hi all, I have wanted to do the Camino since I read The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho.

I hope to do it in April 2013/14. I don't know what I will get out of it but the achievement alone is enough.

30. pip

pip New Member

Hi one and all,

I'm also going to start the camino in the being of september. From SJPP to Burgos as my first leg over 12 days before returning back to the UK for work. Beun Camino.

RubyBlues likes this.