1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Sign Girl

Sign Girl New Member

Hi,

I'm another of those people who saw THE WAY and was inspired. 8 years ago, I did Outward Bound in Maine, USA 24days backpacking and sailing, it was so amazing. Many things have happened since then and I want to get back to that feeling I had, when I completed my OB experience. So, in light of turning 30 in June, I have decided to embark on the Camino, starting St. Jean. I will be setting foot on my pilgrimage in the beginning of July 2012 (no exact date yet). I'm excited and a little scared, as this will be a solo voyage for me. I hope to meet some wonderful pilgrims along the way.

Lots of Love ,
    Tina

2. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Tina my dear ... you have no idea ... :D

Lots of love right back atcha !

3. rosyposy

rosyposy New Member

Hi everybody. My husband Drew and I are hoping to walk the whole Camino Frances, arriving in SJPP, late afternoon of 29 August from Ireland and starting on the walk on 30th. This forum is fabulous and has been so much help to us. Good luck everyone. Hope to run in to some of you on the way.

4. JAMC

JAMC New Member

Hello

I first heard of the Way in January of this year and couldn't get it out of my head, I have now booked my train ticket and arrive in Biarritz/Bayonne 11th July and will attempt to walk the whole way from SJPDP to Santiago meeting my husband in Sarria for the last 5/6 days, we will then drive back to the UK togther. Its the first time I have travelled alone but feel it is something I really must do. Our children are all grown up and with only one left at home I am faced with a future of possibilities and it all starts with a very long walk...

I have learnt a lot from reading the forum but now with tickets booked its time to get some serious planning done and I'm finding I'm needing to ask more and more specific question... I hope nobody minds...most of them are probably on here somewhere but its just finding them... its a HUGE forum!!!

Buen Camino everyone!

5. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Hi Jamc,

I am starting Sept 1st and like you my sons have left the nest and I have the time and hope the energy to do it all !!!!. My husband is hopefully going to join me in Sarria too. I am really excited and nervous at the same time about doing it alone. I walk a lot here at home by myself but dont think that is quiet the same thing though:D.

Buen camino

6. orlandospace5

orlandospace5 New Member

I've been following this marvelous forum for a while now, but just noticed this thread, so I'll introduce myself: I'm Joe from California....high school English teacher who read The Way of the Pilgrim years ago....the Camino has been my one steady goal for years and I'm planning it the thrid week of May 2013 from SJPP. I can't explain the desire altogether, but I know between The Way of the Pilgrim and Walden, I am surrounded by too much stuff...the Camino will test me in many ways, but I am so excited that I've decided on a date that I can think of little else...

Thank you everyone for your posts--I am glad for so much information; it makes me wonder how the medieval pilgrims made it.....faith, I guess! :D

7. JAMC

JAMC New Member

Hi Dollmac,

Thanks for your welcome. I've sent you a private message so I don't take up lots of space in the ' New say hello' thread.

8. nmasiello

nmasiello Guest

Hi All!

My name is Nadine and my husband & I plan to walk the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago in September 2014 to kick off our retirement. What better way, right? I am starting to do my research now so that we are prepared as we can be. For those of you that have already hiked the Camino, I admire you. For those who are planning like us, I hope I get to meet you on the Camino someday. Our goal for this journey is to have time to reflect on our past, marraige, children, careers, ups & downs, and look forward to the next phase of life for us so we can make it the best it can be. Buen Camino!!
    Nadine

9. Emmy

Emmy Guest

Hi all!
    My name is Emily, from California. I'll be flying out to Madrid on June 8th, making a stop in Soria and then heading to the teeny tiny town of Magana with my friend, Jesus, as this is where his family is from. We'll start the Camino in Burgos and then meet up with 2 other friends in Leon to head to Santiago. I am soooo incredibly excited about this trip! I've been following the forum for some time now and am getting some very helpful information. I really appreciate this website and all the useful tips! :)

10. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

New pilgrim starts 04 May.
    Would like to say hello to everyone out there, am excited and hoping to meet lots of interesting like-minded people.
    I leave SJPP but only have less than 3 weeks leave from work, so plan to walk to Leon, and return later in the year.
    Thanks to all the Camino Forum useful comments.
    I wish a Buen Camino to all fellow Pergrinos....... Colin from Scotland :)

11. Monsieur

Monsieur New Member

Hi
    Brand new to the forum and also reading up as much as I can!
    I would love to walk the camino before I'm past it (50 this year) and being a teacher I can take the time I need to go!
    Not this year though within the next 2-5 years is my target!

12. Mgregoire9134

Mgregoire9134 New Member

Hello!
    My name is Michael. I am from Old Bridge, NJ
    I plan on walking the Camino Frances and onto Finiserre from mid-May to the end of June in 2013! Unfortunately, I am 20 and a little poor and don't have the equipment yet :/
    I am extremely excited to the point I am upset it will not happen for another year!
    I want to do some big things before I start my life.

13. tim.angelone

tim.angelone New Member

Home Page:
    Greetings everyone!
    My name is Tim. I am from Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A. I will be embarking on my pilgrimage in the beginning of July 2012 at SJPP. I had originally planned to walk solo, however I have met some great people here already and may be walking with a fellow first timer come July. With luck we will make it to Pamplona in time to Run with the Bulls. I cant express how grateful I am for everyone of you who has already lent me such a helping hand! and I will certainly continue to utilize these fantastic forums. Thanks All!

Buen Camino!

Tim.

14. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Re: Hi Tim from Cleveland

Hi Tim am walking solo, but leaving earlier than you, on the 03/4th May.
    I ran with the Bulls during San Fermin last year, a rather frightening experience.
    However has to be done, I ran in my kilt being a Scotsman, ha ha.
    Just remember accomodation is a nightmare, as the City parties for a week, with most visitors resorting to sleeping outdoors in parks, or in their cars etc............
    Take care and Buen Camino!!!!
    Colin from Scotland :D

15. tim.angelone

tim.angelone New Member

Home Page:
    Re: Hi Tim from Cleveland

Collin,
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't got into the technical details yet but now that you mention it I'm sure I could imagine the utter chaos that will insue for that first week!

Tim.

16. kkelley

kkelley Member

Hello from Texas! I am planning my "first" walk for September 2012 and hope to finalize travel plans in the next couple of weeks. I'm in my mid-fifties and plan to travel solo. I'm reading as much as possible on the forum - it can be all consuming, in a good way. But being a novice, much of what I read is a little confusing. Please excuse the simplicity of my questions as I attempt to be prepared without over-planning (one of the things I hope to shed). As of now, I have decided to not see "The Way" in an attempt to have my own experience fresh and unencumbered from preconceived opinions formed from the movie- feel free to comment on that choice.

All suggestions welcomed and many, many thanks to everyone that has already taken the time to generously provide information and experiences.

Kaye

17. Burma

Burma New Member

Hello everyone,

I'll be starting out from SJPdP on September 8th. All of my hiking to date has been on the AT and in the Whites of New Hampshire, its so exciting to have some new amazing sights to look forward too. Also, most importantly, after having read through the forums, just want to say thanks to everyone for all the information posted here, the content has really been invaluable when I was finalizing my plans!

B.

18. kkelley

kkelley Member

Hi Tao65! It seems that our schedules are similiar. I haven't booked travel yet but plan to do so this week. I'm coming from Texas as well and hope to start the Camino somewhere around the 2nd - 4th of September depending on travel days. I am also planning an extra night/week for rest. Buen Camino to you!

19. Lisa T

Lisa T New Member

Hello,
    My name is Lisa and I plan to walk the Frances Camino in mid June. I'm planning on flying to Madrid and starting in Pamplona. I have yet to find the right backpack and to determine which are better, light hiking boots or leather ones. But, this forum is helping me tremendously as I plan on this trip alone. Thanks for all of your hard work!

20. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Dear Lisa, If flying to Madrid, you can get an "Alsa or "Conte" bus direct from arrivals at airport,cheap straight to Pamplona, just one change, takes about 5-6 hours.
    I tried leather boots, but they are heavy and take a lot of breaking in, before they break your feet, ha ha..........
    Try lightweight fabric boots with ankle support, will be warm weather, need your feet to breathe...........
    I have a new top of the range Berghaus rucksack, great padding on shoulders and hips, cant feel it on, expect to pay about £150 though???
    Okay enough from me, please enjoy your Camino and travel safely, take care Colin Scotland

21. divergordon

divergordon New Member

Buen Camino Colin. I start on mine on 28 May.

22. nastyroni

nastyroni New Member

Hello there,

I'm a young female doing a last minute camino alone! I'm absolutely terrified, which is really the reason I decided to go. I am throwing myself in at the deep end. I have my kit ready and booked my outgoing flight yesterday. I'm setting off from St Jean Pied de Port on 29th May, and am planning to walk to Finisterre by the end of June (I haven't decided how long to give myself yet). I really don't know what to expect but I'm sure it will be an eye opening experience, and I hope to learn, amongst other things, the ability to be content with my own company and become a more confident individual. I have done little planning in terms of a route plan or accommodation, so I hope that my winging it approach doesn't result in the 'no room at the inn' scenario I am currently picturing. I'll be bringing a roll mat and my trusty 4 season sleeping bag in case I have to spend some nights sleeping al fresco. I hope to meet some friendly folk along the way that may offer a little knowledge. Does anyone have any advice? Are there any other spontaneous sorts out there that have gone with this approach, or is failure to plan everything to the nth degree a foolish endeavour? :s

Hope to see you there!
    Natasha

23. tim.angelone

tim.angelone New Member

Home Page:
    Greetings Lisa,
    I will be walking in the beginning of July, during the hot summer months as yourself. I would stick to a light hiking boot with some support. I have tried out several types of leather boots and have came to the same conclusion every time, too heavy and breath-a-bility is not great. As far as a backpack, I just purchased mine about an hour ago and had tremendous help acquiring the proper one (size fitting and everything). I went with the Osprey Kestrel 38L, i weight about 152 pounds and it looks to be about perfect!

Buen Camino!

Tim.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  24. Colinwkay

Colinwkay New Member

Hi Tim, nice to hear from you, unfortunately I finish this leg in Leon on the 21st, as need to get back to Work, will come back to complete second/last leg after the summer.
    Have a great and safe time, take care Colin Scotland

25. divergordon

divergordon New Member

Hi Natasha. Well done for being terrified but doing it anyway.
    In my experience (a fair few long-distance walks), the people one tends to meet are invariably adventurous and interesting.
    The most important thing is the weight you will be carrying, and what you wear on your feet. I've managed to get my pack to 5Kg (11lb) including 1litre of water. Balance every item, weighing the cost (in weight), against HOW much you really need it.
    Get proper footwear. Visit a good local outdoor shop, any that sell climbing gear will have experts working there. Use their expertise and ask for advice. Follow it, or not!
    Whatever happens, I sense that your adventurous spirit will allow you to absorb all the wonderful experiences ahead for you.
    Your walk starts a day after mine so perhaps our way will cross.
    Buen Camino
    Gordon

26. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Natasha dear ... to be perfectly honest, all of this makes me grimace and wonder how you are ever going to make it ... <sigh> ... :(

And having said that, your comment about planning "everything to the nth degree" strikes deeply into my biased, prejudiced, and preconceived way of doing things. I am truly embarrassed by my lack of faith in the things I cannot see. :( :(

I look forward to the story you will have to tell when you finish ! Please share it with us so that this "doubting Thomas" (my middle name) can believe. :D

YOU GO, GIRL !!!

27. nastyroni

nastyroni New Member

Dear Gordon,
    Thanks for your reassuring words! I've got my gear ready but some things will definitely have to be left behind to get it down to an acceptable weight. I thought I was packing light, but you've made me think twice about what light is! I think, more than anything else, as long as I have a positive attitude about the whole thing I'll be fine. Perhaps I'll catch up with you.
    Buen Camino!
    Natasha

28. divergordon

divergordon New Member

Natasha
    I'll listen out for your footfalls behind me. I will be carrying a red osprey talon 33 rucksack. No doubt you are much younger than me and that I will flag sooner than you ;-)
    Buen Camino!
    Gordon

29. nastyroni

nastyroni New Member

Haha! Thanks for your message, Alan.

I've read quite a few things about people abandoning their itinerary quickly so I thought why have one at all! I'm quite spontaneous and impulsive so I probably wouldn't stick to a plan if I had one. I was planning on doing SJPP to Finisterre in 32 days, but I think that may be a tad rushed so I'm going to give myself an extra week to take the pressure off. What do you think? :D

Natasha

30. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Thank YOU, Natasha, for helping me see ... :D

Ours went to hell in a hand basket before we even made it to Spain. Flew from Wilmington to Atlanta and missed our connection to London. Put us back one day, and we had to make new reservations on RyanAir, so we were down several hundred euros as well. Both our itinerary and our budget were busted !

I don't think the word "pressure" exists in your vocabulary ! Give yourself the extra week ... and enjoy whatever happens. Angels will be watching over you, dear.

All the best and please, please, please share your adventures with us when you return !!!