Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Sorry I'll miss you as I leave on the 13th. But you might catch up, I am no loger young at being over 60. Hope that you have a great time trying to catch me with my 3 day head start.

yaka likes this.
  2. yaka

yaka New Member

Hi UnkleHammy,
    Thank you for your kind interest. I studied so much and in detail for preparation for this camino and I read your many comment and useful recommandations.I hope and wish to meet on the camino in progressive days after May 16.

Buen Camino

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. yaka

yaka New Member

Hi Wily,
    Thank you for your kind interest and encouraging comments and advices.I follow your helpful friendly explanations to other members especially to new comers.Thanks again.

Buen Camino

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. janice

janice wandering photographer

Home Page:
    Hi, my husband and I walked the CF in the fall of 2012, we have decided to walk again this spring, leaving SJPD on April 22, 2017. I have just retired, we feel that there was so much to see that we missed on our previous walk, we have decided to take our time, spending extra days in the cities, to become tourists as well as pilgrims! I would appreciate any recommendations for places to see, was there a special spot, museum, picnic area or viewpoint that took your breath away. I would love to hear from you.
    thank-you in advance for your feedback
    janice
    jmeyersforeman.wordpress.com

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Janice - Welcome to the Forum. I, too, feel as though I missed a few things on my first Camino. Briefly, here are a couple things I would do differently.

First, I loved Pamplona. Unfortunately, I only has 1/2 a day there. So, next go around, I'd make it one of my rest days and play tourist a bit and enjoy more of the wonderful tapas this city has to offer. Second, I'd also spend an extra day in Burgos so that, in particular, I could visit the Museum of Human of Evolution. With Atapuerca so close by, this museum is said to be well worth visiting. Finally, I'd spend more than one day in Santiago. We start the Camino Portugués on Saturday and plan two full days in Santiago this time. Depending on where you fly into, Madrid is also well worth a few days at the end of your Camino.

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  6. janice

janice wandering photographer

Home Page:
    Hi Wily, thanks for your recommendations, I love your quote from Jimmy Buffett, I am looking forward to using in on my blog! I have added your recommendations to our list, we have planned time off in all the cities you recommend. Trying tapas and wine are high on the list of things to do, and I will check out your blog for updates on the Camino Portugues.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. Victor Manuel

Victor Manuel New Member

Thanks Leslie,
    Victor M. Diez is my name and I am full resident of Florida,. USA.
    I have done the Camino de Santiago in 2012, crossing the Pyrenees from France into Spain. My trek took me about 6 weeks in total all the way to Muxia (sp.?).

At this time, it is unclear to me as to the significance of the cockleshell a pilgrim wears along the camino. What precisely does it represent and why pilgrims wear it? I would be grateful for any enlightenment.
    Thanks,

Victor Manuel

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  8. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Janice, here are my favorites - it's wonderful to remember them. CONGRATULATIONS on your retirement!

SJPP: Saumon fume' crepes at Kuka creperie. Walking through herds of livestock and the exhilaration of the Pyrenees.
    Pamplona: Walking the parks around the Ciudadela and eating at Cafe Iruna on Plaza del Castillo
    Santo Domingo de la Calzada: Just liked the town. Stayed at the comfortable, homey Hospederia Cisterciense by emailing for a pilgrim discount.
    The little pilgrim museum in Castrojeriz and the way the town looked like Clint Eastwood would stroll through in a serape.
    The canal-walking and stop at Boadilla on the way to Fromista. The trendy Hotel and restaurant Dona Mayor in Fromista (the fancy stays were from 2 Caminos - not the usual lodging:0)).
    BURGOS!! - the light-filled Cathedral and its museum. The River Walk. The Cartuja de Miraflores out the Riverwalk and up through a park. Las Huelgas monasterio.
    Leon's Parador with pilgrim discount
    The storks' nests in the bell towers after Leon.
    Astorga - Cocido Maragato (although I was stuffed and green by the end of it). The Cathedral's museum and the Gaudi Bishop's Palace. The Hotel Via de la Plata's spa.
    Staying with the Brazilians at Casa Rural San Nicholas in Molinaseca - wonderful Brazilian food, such kind people (he went to Pittsburgh for his job frequently and the family speaks great English). They made me a hot milk and honey because I was sick with the flu and brought me dinner in my room. Softest duvets ever felt ($39).
    The murals in Cacabelos.
    The white mediterranean-looking house on a hill with sculpted trees in a vineyard to the left on the way in to Villafranca del Bierzo.
    Casa Rural El Recanto in Vega de Valcarce/following the river
    The murals on tour of the monastery at Samos
    Every mountain view there was.
    Watching the cattle being herded through path in front of the albergue in Fonfria (A Reboleira - wonderful family-run place)
    The glass common room overlooking the fields and forest and the Galician cheese at Casa Cruceiro de Ferreiros in Ferreiros.
    The best gazpacho in the world at Bierzo Enxebre on Rua de Troia by the Monasterio entrance to San Martin Pinario in Santiago. Ate there twice each time and would have gone a third if hadn't been embarrassed.
    Any food at Damajuana in Santiago
    The museum in the Cathedral in Santiago.
    The Museo do Pobo Gallego in Santiago.
    The Museum of Pilgrimage in Santiago.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  9. UnkleHammy

Thanks for this list. I'll try and check them all out.

Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  10. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

C4S-wow, I love your list! I will be taking your notes with me as well......and it will be fun filling in between
    the lines with our own discoveries! Thank you!

Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Oh, you'll have so many, Hindsfeet!!

Wily likes this.
  12. yosemite chic

yosemite chic New Member

Good Evening from California,
    My husband, Brian and I will begin our journey on Satuday, April 29, 2017. We have been hiking 3-4 times per day and are looking forward to meeting wonderful human beings. We start at SJPP and will be on our pilgrimage for approximately 9-10 days. My husband cannot get more holiday time, so we can only go for a short time.

We both are avid backpackers and have a lot of experience in the wilderness, mostly here in the California Sierra Nevada. I work at Yosemite National Park during the summer months and am used to walking/hiking/trekking long distances over all types of terrain.

We are thinking of renting a car from Barcelona and driving to SJPP, but not sure if car rental companies will allow us to drive out of country. If you have any good solid knowledge about this, please reply. I will check for replies in the morning, since it is 10:22 pm here at the moment and I plan on counting sheep in a moment.

Special Thanks to LESLIE for committing so much time to this forum along with the website. It takes a lot of dedication and sacrafice for organizing so much information. THANK YOU LESLIE!

Buenas Noches

Yosemite Chic (Olivia)

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  13. Crepes4Suzette

Hi Yosemite Chic - Welcome to the forum. It should be fine - I've never heard warnings about driving out of at least contiguous countries before in Europe, and have rented cars several times in France and Germany. Here's a 2010 link that might help http://www.fodors.com/community/eur...from-barcelona-into-france-and-back-again.cfm or you could email whichever rental company you choose in Barcelona to ask specifically. The road to SJPP - at least from Pamplona - is a smaller road with nothing that would look like a checkpoint.

I don't know your specific goals, but it might be much easier to take the hi-speed train Barcelona to Madrid Puerta de Atocha, then the Renfe between Madrid and Pamplona (do see some of Pamplona if you haven't already!) and then take the Conda bus to SJPP. You could also drop your car off in Pamplona and take the bus if you're committed to doing things that way.

Best wishes for your upcoming Camino!

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  14. hindsfeet

Hello Yosemite Chic, After reading your post, I had to just pause...........working at
    Yosemite National Park......hmmmm, seems so wonderful. I know every job has its
    challenging aspects, but driving to work thru the park would inspire me for the day!
    Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned also. I will also confirm that this
    forum is amazing and I am so grateful for Leslie and all the generous contributors.
    I am fairly new here, but have gained so much knowledge and insight to the Camino
    that I could never have collected on my own.
    Buen Camino!

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  15. yosemite chic

yosemite chic New Member

Hi Hindsfeet! Yes, living in Yosemite for the summer is wonderful. No car needed for me. Just a bike and a 15 minute ride looking at the falls and the deer, then I'm at work helping wonderful visitors from all over the world!

Hubby and I are so excited about going to the Camino. We are carefully planning our journey and we're now trying to figure out how to get back to Barcelona from either Navarrete or may have to stop in Logrono to rent a car and drive to BCN. We don't know...still researching.

When did you walk the Camino?

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  16. yosemite chic

yosemite chic New Member

SORRY, I SEE THAT YOU WILL BE WALKING IT! WHEN???

17. yosemite chic

yosemite chic New Member

Hi Crepes4Suzette - thank you for the very helpful information on the rentals. You gave me a great idea of driving to Pamplona, then taking the bus to SJPP. We are looking into it now.

Gracias, Yosemite

18. hindsfeet

Yosemite Chic, I have not yet walked the Camino! I leave at the end of April 2018. I know,
    seems so far off. But I believe it is the right time to leave. My entire life (my sister says since
    I was 3 years old, ha!) I have been so busy. Seriously, imbalanced....after my career, owning
    a small business....working 18 hours a day (long story)...life happens. Next year on the
    Camino I will be celebrating my 65th birthday. I don't know how that happened? I feel
    22 inside!! BUT, now I have the time...or finally making time. I am so excited, energized
    and ready for the next chapter of my life. Indeed, life is beautiful and don't want to miss
    another moment!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  19. Todd Reach

Todd Reach New Member

Hello everyone,

I am embarking the Camino in early June 2017 and am very excited about this journey. Being a former USMC I have been training/training/training, but with all experiences for me that is part of the journey. I cannot wait to embark and begin this quest.

This site has been terrific and I will be putting forth a few detailed questions in another thread.

May your day be filled with peace, joy and happiness and always take time to enjoy the beauty of those you which you encounter....

Crepes4Suzette, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  20. sheilajo

sheilajo New Member

Hello and thank you for the nice virtual welcome. First time on the Camino, doing this by myself. I'm from Seattle and planning to walk starting from Sarria on 5/18. I'm really looking forward to experiencing whatever lies ahead....lots of reflection and observing and learning/meeting new people.
    Question on shipping post-walk clothes to Santiago Compostella. From Sarria, what is the best method to do this? Is there a standard transportation company that we can use and how does that work? I plan to do a bit of travel after the walk. Any information on where it gets sent to, reliability and cost would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!
    Sheilajo

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  21. Wily

Hey Sheilajo - Welcome to the Forum. You have a great trip ahead of you.

For transfering your post-trip bag from Sarria to Santiago, use Jacotrans. Here's their contact link: http://www.caminodesantiago2010.com.es/ttmochcfING.html

They charge 7€ a bag per stage. For it to go all the way to Santiago, the charge will be around 35€, but they may offer a discount for the longer distance. They will also keep your bag until you arrive in Santiago. I have used luggage transfer services both in Spain and Portugal. They are highly reliable. I'd suggest that you email them and talk to them specifically about your plans.

Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  22. sheilajo

sheilajo New Member

Wily, thank you so much for providing the contact link...I'll be sure to reach out to them. I really appreciate you providing your insights and experience. I was 'hit' over the head by a higher source about 2 1/2 years ago, when I first really learned about the Camino, and very happy that the universe has aligned for me to make this experience happen. Looking forward to my Camino!

Buen Camino!
    Sheilajo

Wily likes this.
  23. Wily

Hey Sheilajo - Sometimes, getting hit over the head is a good thing! I'm now planning my third Camino. It's hard to stop the ball once it starts rolling! So, the universe has aligned and you have made it happen. I have no doubt that you'll have a great Camino!

24. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Yosemite Chic

You have a wonderful adventure in front of you. The climb over the Pyrenees is magnificent (make sure to start early if you intend to do it in one day).

Please try to visit:-

the Abbey of Llarratz - https://www.facebook.com/theabbey.es/ - it's right on the Way;

the Church at Zabaldika - one of the most moving places on the Camino and you get the opportunity to ring one of the oldest bells in Navarre and to send your prayers out along with the sound of the bell - a definitely not to be missed experience.

Take a break in Pamplona. After three days walking and before the climb over the Alto de Perdon you deserve it.

Finally on your question as to how to get back from Navarrete to Logrono, the walk from Logrono makes for a very pleasant morning's walk. You could have lunch in Navarrete and take the local bus back (it takes about 20 minutes and costs very little). The bus stops at the Banco de Espana in Logorono which is in the heart of the city. Here's a link to the timetable (Monday to Friday but it also runs at weekends):-

http://www.larioja.org/transportes/...politano/m1-cenicero-lunes-viernes-laborables

Buen Camino

Greg

25. Wily

Hey Yosemite Chic - Let me second Greg's recommendations! I rushed through my Camino a bit too quickly. If you can make the time, do include visits to the two spots he's recommended. I have them noted as must stops when I walk the CF again. And, although a break in Pamplona may seem premature after just three days of walking, I, too, would recommend a rest stop in this great city. Those first three days, particularly the one in the Pyrenees, are tiring. If you don't spend an entire day here, another way to add a bit of time to your visit/rest in Pamplona is by spending the night before in Larrozoaña instead of Zubiri. Walking that few extra kilometers the day before allowed me to get to Pamplona well before noon thus being able to enjoy more of the treats this city has to offer. Buen Camino!

https://www.spain-holiday.com/Navarra-province/articles/best-tapas-bars-in-pamplona

26. UnkleHammy

Hi

You will not be the only former Marine on the hike. In June I'll celebrate being out for 51 years. So if you try hard you should catch up with me. Have a great hike!

27. Crepes4Suzette

There's someone named Brad Gener in Ohio who has started a Veterans on the Camino Facebook page. I donated because it sounds like such a wonderful cause to help soldiers be able to do this - they go in groups, I think, and I hope they find much kindness and peace out there.

28. Todd Reach

Todd Reach New Member

Semper Fi Brother - I have not set a firm date to begin, so I have options - 51 years - Congratulations!!!

A brotherhood like no other....

This should be a great adventure...

29. alisa

alisa New Member

Thank you for this forum! Planning is so much fun! Just a quick hello from me... I leave Seattle on August 20 and expect to be in SJPP on the 21st. I'm hoping to make it to the end of the world and back home by September 20 (correction! Leaving for home Sept 30!) Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  30. Wily

Hey Alisa - Welcome to the Forum. Your plan is very ambitious! Doing the full CF and adding on the trek to Finisterre in less than a month is a lot of serious walking. I walked SJPP to Santiago in 31 days and found that to be a bit too quick. For the distance you want to go, that means some pretty long hiking days with no rest days built into your schedule. That's not to say it can't be done if you're in excellent condition and no problems occur, but from someone who has walked this, it seems like a lot particularly since you want to be home 30 days after you begin. Have you looked at the Brierley book where he lays out a 33 day plan (not counting the 3 days to Finisterre)? Keep in mind, too, you still have to get back to the departure city for your flight. From my perspective, it might be too much for the timeframe you have in mind.