1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey C4S - Your enthusiasm will definitely return. Since the spirit still exists, a little recharging is all that is needed. You had quite the experience in Madrid not all that long ago. And, you're exactly right about needed a certain amount of steam for a long trek across the Atlantic - planes, trains and automobiles! So, enjoy your nieces and nephews this summer, recharge, and begin working on your next plan. As we both already know, planning and anticipation are almost half the fun of doing a Camino!

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things

:D I am going to start from SJPP but not until the last day in April or the first of May. Airlines won't let me book a round trip ticket yet. Too far in advance. That would be great to walk a bit together, in the evening enjoy tea and crumpets.....whoops, wrong country....tapas and wine!! We would probably run into Wily and his wife also, I think they are planning on another Camino about that time....P A R T Y!!!! Stay healthy and well!
    I heard it is over 100 degrees in Spain right now. Hmmm....April sounds pretty good.

3. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - Early April this year was really very nice in both Portugal and Spain. Granted, we were close to the coast and it might be a bit warmer in Galicia than in other parts of Spain at that time of year. Even so, other than a bit of weather uncertainty in the Pyrenees, early to mid-spring will be a great time to hike the CF.

We will definitely be over there then. Just not quite sure of our route yet. But, it doesn't get better than tapas and wine with Camino friends after a day on the trail. You have a lot to look forward to. And, once you get it in your blood, you'll be heading back for more! Buen Camino!

4. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

2 2hr hikes and 1 4-5hr hike each week. Interim days at gym for an hour of core training. Even if I didn't go on the Camino this has been a really good change for me just for life!

We have family visits all thru July...more eating than hiking. When you do decide on your return, let us all know. It would be great to meet up with you...

5. hindsfeet

Wily......I am so excited!! Every bit of it sounds wonderful to me. Oh......my DNA shouts
    BUEN CAMINO!

Greg Canning, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  6. Jancee

Jancee New Member

7. Jancee

Jancee New Member

I'm new to the Forum and about to arrive in Spain next week with my 5 fellow walkers.

I've read so many useful tips on this Forum. Thanks everyone.

8. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Buen Camino, Jancee! That's a great way to do it - with a few fellow walkers going the distance in a group.

9. Eric

Eric New Member

I am new to the forum. My son and I are starting July 4 from SJPdP, we are super excited. After lots of agonizing we decided to embrace San Fermin and got a hotel for the night of the 6th so we could run with the bulls on the 7th (it is a concession to my 16 year old, I did it about 3o years ago when I was 2o and swore I would not do it again).

Among my long list of questions is whether the Camino will be busier in the days prior to the running, as usual or will there be a drop off to avoid the insanity of the event in Pamplona. I am not really worried but just curious.

If you see us say hello. Buen Camino,
    Eric and Raef

Wily likes this.
  10. Wily

Hey Guys - Welcome to the Forum. How exciting! Not only are you walking the Camino, but you're also running with the bulls! I have to admit that the latter has been on my bucket list for some time.

In general, you'll find July a busy time on the Camino. If you haven't already done so, make sure you have bed reservations at one of the albergues in SJPP. Further, because of a reduced number of beds now available, I'd suggest reserving in Roncesvalles as well. You can do so on their website.

http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/

Many pilgrims stop the next night in Zubiri. Because I wanted to have a bit more time in Pamplona, I walked on another few kilometers that day to Larrazoaña. I was able to get into the city by late morning.

Because of more pilgrims on the trail in the summer months, try to start walking in the early morning and finish by early afternoon. Getting to your destinstion by 2 pm or so should usually guarantee you a bed. Although municipal albergues don't take reservations, private ones do. See how the crowds are. You can always ask a hospitalero to call ahead for you to see if a place has room or not. If you're using the Brierley guide, by stopping short of or going past his recommended destinations you may also find less competition for beds. But, no worries, you will quickly figure out a system of walking that will work for the two of you. Buen Camino and be careful with those bulls!

UnkleHammy and Eric like this.
  11. Eric

Eric New Member

Thanks for the advice!

12. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

In 2015, I walked the camino Francés and I had to move out of my comfort zone. I was scared and not sure if I would make it past Pamplona. Every day of the 35 were new and a challenge. I was blessed to reach my destination in Santiago. Sleeping in close quarters, cold showers, walking 7-9 hours and not knowing where my next supper will be became my life but I loved the whole journey especially the early mornings watching the sunrise and off to another destination. Unfortunately my husband, my walking buddy died suddenly last year and my life since then also removed me from my comfort zone. I would think that the challenge of the camino and reading all the posts of the forum have helped me along the way. Sometimes we do not know the plan in life but trust that the right path will get you to your destination. Buen camino everyone

UnkleHammy, Patt!, hindsfeet and 2 others like this.
  13. Patt!

Patt! Member

Sorry for your loss!

14. Anderson

Anderson New Member

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and planning on undertaking the Camino possibly in august (must be mad, I think).

hindsfeet likes this.
  15. hindsfeet

Hi Anderson.......M.A.D. you say? M anifesting A D ream.....doesn't sound bad to me!!

Anderson and Wily like this.
  16. Anderson

Anderson New Member

Love that, thanks

hindsfeet likes this.
  17. Belinda

Belinda New Member

Hello Leslie, hello Forum
    I've decided to walk the Camino Frances next year, sometime around April-May 2018, as part of celebrating my 60th year. I am very new to all these, and will be doing it on my own. But my husband is helping me with building my stamina for walking - we are going to do the Cleveland Way in Yorkshire in a few weeks' time, and will do it in about 12 -14 days. I have some questions but will scour the Forums first for any threads that may contain the answers already (eg, diabetes and diet on the camino, taking the train across France to Bayonne instead of flying to Biarritz, etc.). Thanks for this wonderful opportunity to share with the Forum members. Belinda

18. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

Hey guys, New to the forum! Hola!
    I completed my first Camino in June (Frances & Finisterre). It was a wonderful experience. Saw amazing things and made lifelong freinds! It was also my first time in Europe! Hopefully I can offer some tips based on my experiences. Meanwhile back home in Queensland, Australia I have completed a few nice mountain treks recently including the state's highest peak.
    Cheers,Dan

19. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Hi, everyone! Newbie here. I'm glad to have found this great online Camino community. I'm hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers! :)

20. hindsfeet

Welcome to your new home ToussantFrend! You will LOVE it here. Everyone is SO genuinely kind, helpful and possess a wealth of information and experience. Buen Camino!

21. Maru

Maru New Member

Hello my name is Maria Elena but everyone calls me Maru for short. My husband and I have plans on starting the camino Frances in the middle of march 2018. We live in Monterrey Mexico (northern border) and are eager to start our pilgrimage.

22. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Thank you very much, hindsfeet! Buen Camino!

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  23. ToussantFrend

ToussantFrend New Member

Welcome to the forum, Maru! Lots of cheers! :)

24. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Hello, I'm from the UK, giving some serious thought to embarking on my Camino (Frances) adventure in March or April next year (2018). Need to get myself out of a bit of a rut and out of my comfort zone. I'm not going to lie, I do like my creature comforts, and I've never had the pleasure of staying at a hostel. I'm more worried about the accommodation situation than the actual walking! Not read any books about the Camino yet, saw the film with Martin Sheen a couple of years ago, need to start doing a lot more research.

Andrew

25. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Welcome, and be careful. Doing this is highly addictive:). Happy discovering!

SimLin and HaveACuppaTea like this.
  26. John_Rushforth

John_Rushforth New Member

Don't think about it GO !!!!!!! I walked it last September and have discovered that I had a 1000's fears before starting I plan to go again this March / April, I now only have a couple of 100 fears :) The accommodations are fine you very quickly start to enjoy sleeping in dorms with a variety of people, in fact, it becomes the norm. The best advice I found is to spend time sorting lightweight gear the rest of the walk will look after itself.

HaveACuppaTea likes this.
  27. Merilu

Merilu New Member

Hello Andrew from the UK! Merilu here from Texas USA... I walked the Camino August -September 2016. I went alone but I was never alone. I used caminoways.com to help with my accommodations. They are totally organized and made my pilgrimage a lot more enjoyable. It was an experience like no other. Blessings to you Y Bueno Camino! Merilu

HaveACuppaTea and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  28. hindsfeet

Andrew....I am heading out on my first Camino in April as well. After reading your text, the word NEED stood out to me. Out of your comfort zone, indeed...mine as well. I am so excited because that is what makes life so thrilling!! Keep a childlike faith, enjoy the experience, you will be fine....no, you will be a better person for it! S T R E T C H......!! Buen Camino! And don't forget, you are never alone...:D

HaveACuppaTea and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  29. Todd Reach

Todd Reach Member

Hello Andrew,

I am from the US and embarked on my first Camino this year in June. It was a great experience and one which forever will be something to look back on and embrace with a smile. Make it "your" Camino, for all the research you will do, figure out what is best for you.

If I was provide any advice it would be to ensure you pack light, as light as you can, train at least up to 3/4 hours of a hiking at anyone stretch, do hills in your training, when you train hike with what you will be hiking with on the Camino, where VERY comfortable shoes/boots, and the one thing I would have done differently in my personal training was to stretch, REALLY learn to STRETCH. Upon my next Camino adventure, I will do some yoga to ensure I stretch as much as possible. You cannot be too prepared for the hiking, as you hiking day after day after day will be something of a shock to your body and the more you hike the better you will be prepared. Accommodations will be what you can afford and desire. You can stay in Municipal Albergues which are cheaper and accommodate a lot of pilgrims, or you can stay in more private Albergues which cost a little more, but give you a little more privacy, down to single room Albergues, which I stayed at about 4/5 times while on my Camino. Anyway, embrace the journey, take each day as a gift, as it truly is. Buen Camino

HaveACuppaTea and UnkleHammy like this.
  30. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

Andrew like you I watched the film The Way. I am about to sue Martin Sheen for misrepresentation it aint nothing like the movie it is gut bustingly hard. But if you want to give your life a new meaning a new direction then go and do it my friend you will never regret it .
    I am going back in April with a film crew to do a documentary I did my first onr in August this year.
    Go for it you will not look back. Good luck and God bless.

HaveACuppaTea and UnkleHammy like this.