1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tmo

Tmo New Member

Hi,I am coming from Wisconsin, US and likely to start the camino on Sep 24th of 2012 from SJPDP. I have 33 days so not sure if I should start at the beginning because I want to make it to Santiago, think I will have to take a bus or taxi a few days. I am most looking forward to the first day's hike through the Pyrenees. I am traveling solo and very nervous/excited to embark on this adventure. I am trying to gleen as much wisdom as I can from this forum before I leave, it has been sooo helpful already. Thanks to everyone who has contributed your thoughts, ideas, etc. I am having the hardest time deciding on footwear, hopefully I can make up my mind soon.

2. ExCaminoDunc

ExCaminoDunc New Member

Hi All, I'm Dunc, I did my camino back in 2005 (May 3rd to june 5th) 34 days with a couple of days off. I've had a few adventures, but the Camino de Santiago was undoubtedly the best and most memorable. Probably can't be much help with travel arrangements as they have changed a lot. but if i can help with any other questions feel free to ask.

3. tjustice55

tjustice55 Guest

Hello everyone!
    I have only recently discovered El Camino, and I am making plans to do the walk on my 60th birthday. I am currently not in shape to undertake this sort of trek, but shooting for my 60th will give me time (and motivation) to get in better shape. I admire those of you are planning to walk and who have already made your journey, and I look forward to reading about your adventures. Thanks:)

4. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member Donating Member

Hi Dunc !

Welcome to the Forum ! Chime in any time ... especially when you can add to our conversations about post-Camino experiences. Ever so glad you found us. Tells me the Camino still lives in your heart ! Would love to hear your story ... especially about the last 7 years.

All the best, man !

:cool:

5. DavidG

DavidG New Member

I've just booked my flight from Manchester to Biarritz travelling on the 12th Sept. So after many, many years dreaming, I feel at long last I've made the first step! Would love to hear from anyone taking that same flight from Manchester.

6. JAMC

JAMC New Member

Hi Natasha,
    I love your approach... I have planned my transport to St Jean and booked Orisson but after that all I've got is the yellow arrows and one foot in front of the other... I'm hoping that's enough too!

I'm getting a bit nervous too, so have started a new thread to see what others think of my packing list... I'm sure if I take what I need and my boots fit, the rest will follow - Hey I wing it in my regular life...why shouldn't this work...

http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/forum/camino-frances/2720-im-leaving-11th-july-2012-my-bag-almost-packed-any-last-minute-advice-welcome.html#post15469

7. nastyroni

nastyroni New Member

Hi JAMC,

I should arrive back a few days before you are due to set off, so I'll let you know how well this approach works!

Natasha

8. MGM

MGM Guest

canadian new to the forum here but i'll be arriving in biarritz on the 15th of may (2012) to do some surfing before i start my walk. love to hear from anyone going around the same time. peace.

9. maximus

maximus Guest

Hi,
    Find the feeds reassuring in that whilst feeling excited about walking the Camino , there is also a thread of nervousness, that i believe to be a good thing. I am starting from St Jean Pied on September 3rd. i will also be walking alone and will be looking forward to hearing how Natasha gets on - I'm sure you will fine Natasha and admire your approach.
    Mark

10. lmcgrath

lmcgrath New Member

Hello All,
    My name is Lisa, and my son and I will be starting the Camino at the end of May. I really appreciate the information on this forum. We will fly into Madrid on the 29th and make our way to St. Jean. We're still working out the transportation from Madrid, and I hope to make a reservation at Orisson for May 30.
    Buen Camino!
    Lisa in NC

11. charleser

charleser New Member

hello to all
    i am new to the forum.
    i will be walking alone from Pamplona..plan to start in December.

anyone who has walked from that route during December your information appreciated.

buen camino to all

12. jeffnd

jeffnd New Member

Hello,
    I'm turning 30 in a few days and maybe I'm starting my mid-life crisis early, I don't know. I'd get into my reasons for going like religion, the challenge, the desire for new experiences, and the need to finally do something with my life.

Physically, I don't know if the journey is doable. I'm terribly out of shape. I walked 3/4 of a mile this morning and I was huffing and puffing pretty bad by the time I got home. Too many cigarettes and Whoppers over the past ten years I guess. I guess that's why I plan to go next year. Having a goal to work towards makes getting healthy a little easier.

I'm not sure how I'm going to pay for this either. I did some basic figures, and I'll have spent easily $2k before I even reach Europe on travel and gear. I've done some reading and people say that 30 euros per day is about average on the Camino. So let's say it takes me 30 or 35 days, that's going to be somewhere around $1300. I haven't even begun to look at travel to a starting point or from the end point yet, but it seems like everyday more and more little expenses start to creep in.

And of course this is a 4 to 6 week deal too. I don't know how much my employer will like me to be gone for a month and a half, even on unpaid leave. So I might leave and not have a job waiting for me when I get back. Plus there are the everyday expenses back home like rent and insurance I'll have to keep up with too.

I'm worried about telling everyone I'm going. I'm worried about what my family will say. I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I'm still worried about having to hear from my parents about how this is crazy and a waste of money and time. I think I'm even more afraid that they might decide to come with me!

Still, I'm going. I've made up my mind and I have to go. I'm giving myself a year. A year to get in shape and prepare my body. A year to save up and prepare my poor, poor bank account. A year to learn some spanish and french, and prepare my mind for a place where english isn't the first language. Most importantly, a year to pray and to prepare my soul. Not so much for what lies before the Camino, but for what lies after.

13. IrishGurrrl

IrishGurrrl Member

Hi All,

I'm planning to start The Way in early September 2012 in advance of my 40th birthday (in October 2012). I have felt drawn to do this for a few years now and I'm glad to say the time now feels right. I'm out of shape and could do with losing a (good) few pounds so I'm looking forward to getting fit over the next few months as I prepare for the journey - I feel like it has begun already :) I'm a little nervous about how tough it will be (because I'm so out of shape) but I'm hoping the preparation/training I do in the next 16 or so weeks will help make the journey that little bit easier for me. Its been a while since I 'backpacked' alone and I am looking forward to spending my days out in nature. Maybe I will meet some of you along the way :)

14. charleser

charleser New Member

You sound to me like the perfect person to go on an,adventure

15. Lisa T

Lisa T New Member

Lisa, I'll be arriving in Pamplona on July 12. I'm also from NC and traveling solo. Maybe we shall meet. -Lisa T

16. lmcgrath

lmcgrath New Member

Lisa,
    I'm sure you are as excited to start as I am. You will arrive a week after I conclude my Camino. Do you have any plans to continue on to Finisterre?
    Buen Camino!,
    Lisa

17. Lisa T

Lisa T New Member

Yes, very excited but worried I'm not in the best physical shape. (I'm sick with sinus issues and had to skip my weekend hikes this weekend). I am planning on doing the whole camino in 6 weeks. I got my peregrino passport in the mail today! One issue has been finding moisture wicking clothing that isn't too tight fitting. I'm not a triathelete! Any luck with this in NC? Thanks!!

18. charleser

charleser New Member

yes, i am new to this..
    when one gets to whereever it is they are starting from ...
    do we 'register?'...'sign-up'' or something....so that we are identified as peragrinos or does one just start walking?
    thanks
    charleser

19. lstumpy

lstumpy Guest

We are calling ourselves the B52's from Australia - we have been friends for that number of years and will be starting our Camino on 23 May in SJPDP - very excited and been loving this forum for inspiration and invaluable information. Thanks

20. YogaWalk

YogaWalk Member

Hello Lisa T. I found a shirt at REI that I really like. Its called the REI Fleet T shirt. You can order it online, though maybe you have REI in NC. Its not clingy and is even roomy, which I prefer to having clothes stuck to me. I have been hiking in it for over a week and love it. Dries fast, wicks. Really good. Here's a link to that shirt REI Fleet T-Shirt - Women's at REI.com
    My mom is planning to walk the Camino next year, and she is thrilled I'm going through the whole "what to wear scence" before she has to start purchasing anything. I've spent a good part of the last three months ordering and sending back many items that didn't work/fit the way I expected, and have ended up being really happy with the very few things I am taking.
    I'd be happy to share what I've found with you. Good pants, good bra, undies... I am also not in awesome shape, but it hasn't been tooooo long since I was, so I can tend toward being a little vain. My daughter had me in stitches with her confusion about my level of concern in the match of the hiking clothes.... We all have our vices. After that hysterical conversation I let go of matching for the Camino.
    The training has been so great for me. Had lots of health issues for the last few years (including sinus infections and surgery), so have been taking it really slow. I feel stronger and healthier than I have in years.
    Buen Camino!
    Jennie

21. lmcgrath

lmcgrath New Member

Lisa T,
    I agree with Jennie; REI has been a great resource, but they are pricey. I've shopped a lot online and have been happy with the service. I'm still in the process of packing my bag; I've got to edit my choices! I'm not in the best of shape, but I have been able to get out most weekends for a short walkabout.
    I hope you are feeling better.
    Lisa

22. Lisa T

Lisa T New Member

Jennie, Thanks so much. I do have an REI nearby and I'll check it out. Sending stuff back to Sierra Trading has become my second job! I'm laughing about the matching issue. Can you blame us for not wanting to look scary for 5-6 weeks? Ha! I'd really rather not look the part of the ugly american. And I'd like to be in a photo or too without regret. All in all, this is about mind/body/spirit. I realize this. I look forward to learning more about others, myself and our world while listening to the rhythm of my footsteps and feeling the breezes of Spain. I wish you buen camino. If you have time to message me anything particularly useful, I'd be grateful. I can do the same.
    -Lisa

23. YogaWalk

YogaWalk Member

Lisa T, I sent you a private message with more detail on clothing items I found that felt appropriate for my not super duper fit, not 25 year old body. REI has their anniversary sale this weekend, they say its their biggest sale of the year. The fleet shirts look to be 30% off. I you haven't gotten one to try out, this weekend may be the time. check out if you can order online and still get the discount. I think you can.

24. luvgatsby

luvgatsby New Member

Hi , I'm Monica , coming from Toronto, arriving SJPDP Sept 2 and spending the first night there, spending 2nd night at Orisson, then on and on...Have never done anything like this before, so really appreciate all the info I'm picking up from this Forum. From reading today's posts , I see there are a few people starting out around this date, so hope our paths will cross. Buen Camino to all .

25. Lisa T

Lisa T New Member

Thank you so much Jennie! I will jump on the sale. I'll be in touch ASAP. This week has been crazy busy here.
    Buen Camino-

Lisa T

26. Zak

Zak New Member

Hi, Im setting off around this time to, not really made any plans about where I will be staying taking 1 day at a time, starting on or around 1 sep flying into Biarritz thats all I know up to now I'm picking my pilgrim passport up from sjpdp, I do a lot of long distance walking already with Pennine Way and West Highland Way, Coast to Coast completed ready for this now have you done any training ? If you havn't you will find that you can do It anyway just don't take a lot of stuff a good rucksack, good footwear don't be scared It will be easy.....

27. Bill Jones

Bill Jones New Member

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum and live in San Antonio, Texas. My wife and I recently decided to walk the Camino. We want to start in St. Jean Pied de Port, and hope to do this in June of 2012. I've got a ton of questions (which I will try to ask on the right forum thread).

28. dscotthello

dscotthello New Member

Hello all. My name is Damien....I am from New York. My wife and I were married in October of 2011 and we are waiting for final Visa Approval before she will be moving here to New York with me. We are planning this trip for 2014 but I have been doing my research and have enjoyed everything I have learned. I know my trip is a long ways off....but thought I would jump in on this forum....I am really excited about this....Anyone ever seen the movie The Way? Great movie about the Camino......talk soon...

29. TravelingWilburns

TravelingWilburns New Member

Hola Damien, Welcome to the Forum. More importantly, congratulations on your recent wedding ! Walking the Camino is a great dream to share and hopefully a great memory to carry home ! Enjoy your training period and keep in touch.Buen CaminoFrom Alaska

30. TravelingWilburns

TravelingWilburns New Member

I forgot to answer you question about the movie The Way... I guess I used to live under a rock or something, because until I accidentaly stumbled on The Way, I nor my husband had ever heard of the Camino. HowEver the moment the movie ended we turned to eachother with only one question....WHEN ? So you can tell the movie touched our hearts deeply. I even bought my own copy. Have you heard the story Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez tell about how Emilios son, Taylor, met - fell in love with and married his Spanish Sweetheart that he met on The Camino ? Great love story and an excellent catalist for the movie.Again, From AlaskaBuen Camino