1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

Hi Andrew. I like this bit of advise you have been given by Todd.
    Pack light, as light as you can, train at least up to 3/4 hours of a hiking at anyone stretch, do hills in your training, when you train hike with what you will be hiking with on the Camino, where VERY comfortable shoes/boots, and the one thing I would have done differently in my personal training was to stretch, REALLY learn to STRETCH.
    Definitely put some hills into your legs and hips and carry your pack on all training walks.
    How to start , pick a date , tell all your friends , book your flight out. ( I say this bit with a Smile ) There is nothing like knowing some Airline has your money, and your friends know , to concentrate the mind.

Buen Camino
    Oldman

2. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

That sounds familiar! Discomfort with the Albergue experience. I was the same. I really resisted it. But it was fine. It all works. And there are a multitude of accommodation choices along the camino. From Albergues, to Casa Rural, to Hostales, and hotels. It is simply no problem. I think I tried them all out! Just finished my first Camino in November.

HaveACuppaTea, oldman and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Thanks, there's certainly a lot of info on this site.

4. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Well, I hope so, I am a light sleeper though, which is a bloody pain.

5. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Thank you, all the best.

6. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Yes, you're probably right, I am a bit of a pessimist, I'll have to train my brain to think more positively!

hindsfeet likes this.
  7. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Thanks for the advice, yes, stretching is certainly important, before and after. How much are the single room Albergues, are there a lot en route?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  8. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Haha, thanks Terry, well, I suppose it is the Hollywood version of the Camino. Good luck to you as well and with your documentary.

9. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Yes, difficult to back out once you've decided on a date, told your friends and family and booked your flight. Yeah, going on some training walks with all the gear I'm going to wear and take, is a good idea.

10. HaveACuppaTea

HaveACuppaTea New Member

Hello Jose, Well done for finishing your first Camino, I bet you certainly feel a sense of achievement having completed such an arduous journey. I imagine the weather was quite bad as well...

11. Emy McLeod

Emy McLeod New Member

Hello Everyone,

28, Scottish, Live in the highlands and work in the mountains as an outdoor instructor & guide.
    I like many have been considering walking (or biking), with camping each night, the route for a number of years, 2018 is the year i just go and do it.
    I found this website a while ago and only decided to join the forum tonight to see how others are planning, route choice etc etc.

Here is to the adventures!

oldman, Ryedalerambler and UnkleHammy like this.
  12. Michael Wilson

Michael Wilson New Member

Good Morning Leslie, I'm not sure if this is what I am supposed to do so here goes. My name is Mike Wilson and I am looking at doing the Camino probably June/July time frame. I am seeking out information as to where, to start, how to get there, where do I stay, cost, and what to bring. I look forward to all the advice and information I can learn from the different forums. Thank you for what you are doing in bringing us all together.
    Michael

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  13. Michael Wilson

I am hoping that I am able to communicate with many of you through forums that have benefited you abd will hopefully benefit me in the very near future as I want to start planning my trip for June/July of this year.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  14. Michael Wilson

Leslie, Help, am I doing this right?

15. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. I suggest you start by following the links at the top of this page either to "Forums", or to "Camino Routes" and browsing the pages specific to the camino route you wish to take. You will find plenty of threads addressing most of the common initial queries, (including routes, accommodation, gear, and costs) and afterwards you can ask more specific questions to which you haven't already found the answers. Buen Camino.

danvo, Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.
  16. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Mike, almost all the topics you raised are covered on this forum. It is very easy to browse topics by category, or use the "search" mechanism on this website. Another suggestion is for you to purchase "A Pilgrim's Guide to Camino de Santiago" by John Brierley. Many refer to this as "the camino bible". It provides an excellent overview, has suggestions on clothing and gear, then recommends daily stages with maps, topography, places to stay, etc. The Brierely guide will bring you up on the learning curve very quickly. Bob

Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.
  17. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

"Other guides are available"! :):)

Greg Canning likes this.
  18. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that there is a guide in German that is quite detailed. I don't speak or read German and have never seen one. There is probably one in many different languages.

19. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

I have and use the Brierly Guide, the Sergi Ramis guide (he gives a reasonable estimate of walking times as well as distance for each section - of course walking time will depend on an individual's capacity) and I have a couple of apps on my phone. I think you have to take the books and apps as they are described "guides" and in particular they ware very useful for planning etc. But it is also important to remember that you don't have to follow them slavishly. They are written by those with good experience of the Camino but how you use them is down to you. I have to say I've gotten as much good advice on the forum but I enjoy the guides and appreciate them as a resource which gathers together the info in one place.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  20. Kevin Gibson

Kevin Gibson New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm new here too. I'm Kevin and I'll be arriving at SJPP on 27th April and starting the next day.

I shall be walking for 11 days before I need to head back to the UK.

I'm 57 and will be on my own.

I have started a little light training because I haven't walked far for many years, though have cycled quite a bit.

Buen Camino

Kevin

21. UnkleHammy

The first day is not a trivial little walk. I recommend doing some serious training in going up (yes UP) hills and then down. You might be planning on starting when the weather is poor for going over the mountian. Be sure to check at the pilgrem office before leaving. Be sure to have reservations for the first day or three.

danvo likes this.
  22. Kevin Gibson

Kevin Gibson New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm in training, with all the up I can find between home and work.

I'll need to find steeper and higher for weekends.

From the reading I've done, I thought that reservations are only essential in the hight of summer. Did I miss understand?

Thanks

UnkleHammy likes this.
  23. UnkleHammy

Yes

24. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

My suggestion is to focus more on the downhills than the uphills for training. Our crew consistently found the downhills to be much more physically demanding than the uphills. And for me personally, all of my muscle strains and injuries occurred on downhill stretches.

Enjoy the trail!

25. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin

Welcome to the Forum. You will find lots of info here so don’t be afraid to have a look around and ask lots of questions.

As to preparation I have to say I and my two walking companions found the first three days to Pamplona to be very challenging. The climb over the Pyrenees is tough so don’t underestimate it Then there is the impact of walking continuously for three days with a pack on your back. That can be hard to simulate in training. My advice is to consider booking ahead for St Jean, definitely for Orisson (if you intend to stay there) and possibly for Roncevalles as you are starting just after Easter.

Try and include a short break (maybe half a day) in Pamplona as by then you will have had 3 days continuous walking and as you say you’ve not done a lot of walking recently. And remember you have the climb over Alto de Perdon and it’s descent through a rubble path just the other side of Pamplona

Best advice I got for prep for the Pyrenees is to climb as many flights of stairs as possible in one go. My office building has 10 double flights so I would climb then a few times each day. That’s the closest I got to simulating the first stretch to Orisson.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    danvo, hindsfeet, Wily and 2 others like this.
  26. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Kevin - Greg offers some good advice regarding climbing stairs as one way to prepare for the climb out of SJPP and the Alto de Perdon. In my opinion, you can’t train too much as everything you do prior to your Camino will pay off many fold as you are walking. I’m an advocate of cross-training so as to prepare the entire body for any physically demanding trek. Glad to hear you cycle! Everything helps get you ready. If you’re not already doing it, I’d certainly recommend the many activities a gym can offer to help you prepare. A personal trainer can point you in the right direction if you’re not sure where or how to start. If you don’t have a ten story office building nearby like Greg has, try a stair machine. Most gyms have them. To simulate carrying a backpack, I find that a 20 pound weightvest on the stair climber does the trick of both strengthening your muscles as well as your endurance. Strength training will also greatly benefit your overall fitness for the Camino. Run, walk, cycle, lift weights, take exercise classes! Although you may not feel like going out dancing after you climb the Col de Leopoder, you’ll certainly be in better shape to enjoy rest of your day after a great accomplishment. Buen Camino!

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  27. Richard

Richard Member

Firstly, thks Leslie for the forum add.
    Lots of good advice. Best of which was 'book your flight and tell your friends'. I've done that, so am now committed!!
    Planning for the CF, flying to Biarritz on the late Ryanair flight, 25th March.
    Buen camino!

28. Marion Cox

Marion Cox New Member

Hola! I am Marion and I am planning to trek from St. Jean to Pamplona in late April. My friend and I are coming from Colorado so I am not too worried about altitude adjustment. We hike every Wed, but will pump up the mileage and uphill climbs in preparation. We are both retired and older (in our 70s) so we decided to stay over in Orrison as opposed to going all the way from SJPP to Roncevalles. We are looking forward to a beautiful trek and meeting wonderful people. We are planning ot fly into Madrid and take a train/bus to SJPP. After trekking to Pamplona, we plan to rent a car and drive along the northern coast of Spain as far as Picos de Europa before flying to Barcelona for several days. It is only 5 days of trekking, but we figure we can always coem back and do more another year.

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  29. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Marion - It sounds like a wonderful plan. Navarra was one of my favorite provinces to walk through. As you’re just walking this one section of the Camino, taking your time and stopping in Orisson is a great idea. Ideally you’ll have as picture perfect a day to cross the Pyrenees as I had (I also started in late April). The entire stretch into Pamplona is great hiking. Although it’s still early in the hiking season, you’ll may want to make reservations in SJPP, Orisson, and Roncesvalles. If you can, spend some time in Pamplona. It’s a great city. Here’s a link so some great eateries.
    https://www.spain-holiday.com/Navarra-province/articles/best-tapas-bars-in-pamplona

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  30. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

My one tidbit to your plan is to make sure you work on the steep downhill training. If you choose to take the main path to Roncesvalles, it is extremely steep and demanding on the legs. The uphill training is fine but does not help on the downhills. All of my issues came from the steep downhill sections. Buen Camino.

danvo, Wily and Greg Canning like this.