1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Penxx

Penxx New Member

Devereaux Young likes this.
  2. Penxx

Penxx New Member

I am 66, not a strong walker.. maybe I will have to do it in stages. I am not sure when, but this site is fabulous because there are so many point son view and so much good advice.... thanks to all who take the time to post the information.

Penny

3. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

That's so kind of you, Penny! I'm 62 and there are many on here who have done it recently at 72 and above. Many on here like to help, also, so if there are specific things you want to gather information about - such as ideas for preparing physically for it and which route you might find most enjoyable, just ask. It's a pretty nice bunch. Beth

4. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Believe me you can do it and while it’s not necessarily “easy” all the time, it is so simple and such a gratifying event at so many levels. I encourage you to keep in touch on the forum and one day you will just take off

Wily, UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  5. Belinda

Belinda New Member

Hi Penxx
    I'm on the Camino now - my walking partner and I are now in Burgos. Arrived here before 3 yesterday and staying another day to be tourists in Burgos before continuing on. I started on 15 April and Elly and I happened to share a room together in Orisson and then again in Roncesvalles. She's 63. I'm turning 60 this year. The other women I've met and eaten dinners with are 68, 73, 65, 64. Some of us are slow walkers but we get to wherever we decide to stop for the day at the end of the day, usually between 2 -3 pm, starting the walk usually between 7 - 8 am, with +1 hour break (in 15-20 min slots) throughout the day to have coffee at cafe, to eat our snacks or to air our feet every 2 hours. Yes, our feet are sore at the end of day, we raise them, stretch them, bandage our ankles or our knees. And by the start of the next day, we are again good to go.

Wily, UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  6. Penxx

Penxx New Member

thanks...I don't think people do the Camino if they are not nice, and if they weren't, they will be at the end!! One question, how tolerant will the hostels be if i need to stay two nights to recuperate and have rest days... will my gray hair be enough? very encouraging to hear I will meet kindred spirits

7. Jo Waller

Jo Waller Member

Hi Penny, my recent experience was that Hostels were kind enough to let me stay longer when I incurred injuries that eventually led to me having to be flown home. I’m 53, physically fit and a seasoned trekker and it’s the first time in my life where I’ve not succeeded what I set out to achieve!! Even with all the preparation and training, this wasn’t meant to be my Camino, but I will be back. Make it your Camino and listen to your body!

Ginamarie, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

Hi Penxx,
    I'm the same age as you, and I still love walking, especially on the Camino. I started the Camino Frances in 2011 and ended up in the same pilgrim hostage as an Italian couple several times. They were both well past 80 and it was their 8th camino. They said they didn't do such long days now, since they were tired but still they walked the same amount of kilometers as I did. I was 59 at the time...
    On Wednesday I will travel to Cahors in France to do the second half of the Via Podiensis (I did the first half last summer) and it is hilly and rather hard but so beautiful.
    I'm sure you will make it one day, and you will manage very well. Just go easy.
    Good luck and Buen Camino

Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  9. Crepes4Suzette

Bonne continuation, Margareta! I'll be starting in Aumont-Aubrac on June 1st and probably stopping at Cahors for the France part of the trip. Are you by any chance publicly blogging your walk? If so, I'd love to follow along. Beth

Wily likes this.
  10. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I had problems on my first Camino and needed to stay an extra night at Roncahveles. I asked if I could stay and they said no, but if I left and returned after 2pm then I could than stay a second night.

Wily likes this.
  11. Tim Shepherd

Tim Shepherd New Member

Hi, my Name is Tim Shepherd from near Birmingham UK, I have wanted to do the Camino for a number of years, I have finally allowed myself the time to do it, well at least the start of it, due to time constraints I am doing SJPDP to Logrono in August and will hope to keep returning to whrere I left off as soon as I can.

Greta Information Leslie, many thanks for opening up this forum, it feels like I have already started my journey with just getting on here!

Buen Camino

Tim

12. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Penxx - I think it’s a fair observation to say that you will run into all types of people on the Camino. People walk the Camino for a myriad of reasons. Some will be right in sync with why you are there; others, perhaps not so much. However, as elsewhere in life, we tend to migrate toward like souls, so you will have plenty of the right kind of company along your journey. You will, at least in my experience, run into a large number of very kind pilgrims and locals to help you. Some of my favorite encounters were with hospitaleros at the albergues. If you need extra time to rest or recuperate, you’ll find both the places and people who will assist you. Buen Camino!

13. Crepes4Suzette

Hey, Wily, here's a question - how did you append your blog links to your posts? Was it with the "signature" option link?

UnkleHammy likes this.
  14. Wily

Hey C4S - Yes, it was via the “signature” option link. Real simple to do or add to what you might already have there. If I remember correctly, it is limited to just three lines.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  15. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks, Wily! Much appreciated!

16. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Same with me Jo, Pamplona Albuegue let me stay 4 nights until I could get on the road again after my injury. You will be back just as I am returning in September to continue!

Jo Waller and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  17. Arnie823

Arnie823 New Member

18. Arnie823

Arnie823 New Member

Hello! Finally figured out how to post an introduction. I'm new here. I have always wanted to walk the Camino but never seemed to find the time. My wife recently passed away and I feel lost without her. I think walking the Camino may help me get back on track with my life and move forward. She never wanted to walk the Camino, but we did walk daily all over the place. We were both retired and I think this is what I need to start living again. A place to do lots of thinking without phones, TV, or news. Just peacefull solitude with maybe a Camino family. I've started planning to walk next year in early spring, April 2019. Lots of good information here. Thank you everyone for sharing.

19. Wily

Hey Arnie - First, welcome to the Forum. Very sorry to hear about your loss. People walk the Camino for all kinds of reasons. It’s an amazing pilgrimage across Spain where one does have a great deal of time to reflect upon life and all it has given us and all that is still ahead. Peacefulness and grace can certainly be found on the road to Santiago. One of the wonderful positives (and there really are many of them) is that walking 800 km takes time. Within this space of time you will be physically, psychologically, and spiritually challenged. By the end of this journey, you will have had the opportunity to take a good look at yourself, where you’ve been, and just possibly arrive at some insights you didn’t have before walking. You mention the Camino family. For me, the most important aspect of this entire journey are the many wonderful souls that you will meet coming from all walks of life, with their own stories to share, and reasons for walking. I’m confident that even if you don’t get all your questions answered, you’ll be well on Your Way to figuring things out. Spring is a great time to walk the Camino. You will learn very quickly that it is quite a special place. I know we’ll all look forward to interacting with you over the next year. Don’t hesitate to direct your questions to the caring folks on this Forum. Buen Camino!

20. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Excellent response Wily. It could not have been said better.

21. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Dear Arnie, I am very sad to hear of your devastating loss. It is a good sign that you found the Camino forum and are thinking of the next chapter in your life. Between the forum and the many guides, namely Brierly and the Camino de Santiago Village to Village guide you can plan accordingly and wisely for a very memorable experience. We on the forum will support you in any endeavor you decide. Welcome!

Arnie823, Tim Shepherd, Wily and 3 others like this.
  22. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Hi! I am planning my Camino and I am so excited! I am enjoying reading all the posts!

23. Arnie823

Arnie823 New Member

Thank you everyone! I look forward to learning more and continue planning my Camino!

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.