1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Hello Kiwi, sorry about all your health issues. I had blisters during my whole trek 3 years ago. I also pricked the blisters daily because if I did not, the pain was bad during the walking. In an albergue in Pamplona, a Spanish physician who had the bunk next to me was horrified and then he took out all this sterile equipment for me, alcohol swabs, about 20 throw away needles and sterile bandages. I also would use the lighter to burn the needle before using to hopefully kill the germs. My husband did not have one blister and on really bad days, he would also carry my bag. Bless his soul. About the fleece, I would think that originally it could have been the coat of the sheep but now it is man made and probably just resembling the sheep's wool. To me it usually also has a hood on it. I wore my fleece everyday and sometimes even at night when it was cold or damp in the room. I am so happy for you, that again you can experience all that the camino has to offer and with your daughter. All the best

hindsfeet and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Kiwi - Yes, a fleece is a type of light weight jacket or it can also be a vest. It now refers to the material that the garment is made from. Fleece is a soft, fuzzy fabric used for sweaters, sweat shirts, jackets, mittens, hats, blankets, and in any other applications where a warm, wool-like material is needed.

I,too, tried the thread method for tresting blisters on the CF with no good outcome, but short of infection. Since then, my wife and I have walked two more Caminos successfully without a blister problem. Aside from good footwear, the key seemed to be addressing the blister and/or hotspot immediately. Every morning, we’d apply Bodyglide to our feet. This speed-stick like lubricant helped reduce the friction between the foot and the shoe. At breaks, in addition to taking off our shoes and socks, we’d reapply Bodyglide. At the first sign of a hotspot, we’d apply paper pharmaceutical tape to the area to act as a second skin. This usually did the job. However, if a spot did turn into a blister, we’d open it up significantly with a sterilized knife or needle so that it could drain and not fill up again. After treating it with an antibiotic cream, we’d let it dry out. In the morning, we’d clean it again and reapply Body glide to our feet. The affected area was retaped. For us, this practice kept blisters from ever getting any larger and they’d dry up in a couple days. So, immediate attention to a blister area and the use of paper tape has been very successful for us. I, too, followed a lot of well meaning advice from pilgrims on the CF for treating my blisters without much success. If your doctor has recommended something different, that’s what I’d suggest you go with. My other recommendation would be to take advantage of the knowledge pharmacists have in Spain. For a variety of relatively simple problems, we found them quite familiar the the typical ailments from which pilgrims often suffer. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet likes this.
  3. Walking Nature World

Walking Nature World Member

Hello, everyone! We are a young couple who dedicates themselve to creating photo and video content, as well as our own music. Our content is related to travelling and adventures. We are passionate walkers who love hiking, trekking and camping. Our goal is to promote the healthy lifestyle, to motivate people to walk more and care for nature around.

We walked The Camino del Norte this year and would love to share our experience here with you. And also get more inspiration for future hikes.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. wheelchair pilgrim

wheelchair pilgrim Wheelchair pilgrim. Blog on www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl

Home Page:
    Hello,
    I am a wheelchair pilgrim from the Netherlands and I am on my way to Santiago.
    2016 I started with my pilgrimage.
    Every year I do a part from the way from the Netherlands to Santiago. 2016 and 2017 I crossed the Netherlands and 2018 I rolled until Reims in France. Next September I hope to roll from Reims to Vezelay.
    I have a sport wheelchair with front wheel attachments and wheels with electrical support.
    I also like to write a blog about al my pilgrimages.
    I look forward to read all the information that is on this forum.

5. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Wow, welcome aboard WCP- you are tough! I look forward to your blog exploits here, I hope you have a fantastic Camino!

6. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Well-Known Member

It is funny how my eyes can play tricks on you , for a moment I thought I saw the word wheelchair so I checked, I did. You are one person I would like to meet. GOD BLESS you and beun Camino. Thats good thats good.:):):).

7. wheelchair pilgrim

Home Page:
    You did see it very well. I really do the Camino in my wheelchair. Every year a part. When you Google wheelchair pilgrim or rolstoelpelgrim (Dutch) you will find my blog and you can read about it and see a lot of pictures

danvo, Jacqui, UnkleHammy and 2 others like this.
  8. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

You are simply amazing. May God continue to bless you in your efforts. Buen Camino!

Wily likes this.
  9. wheelchair pilgrim

Home Page:
    Thanks!

10. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things

Welcome WCP! What a journey.........Je bent geweldig!

11. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey WCP - Let me echo the welcome extended by everyone above. Bryan sums it up quite well, “You are amazing!” How exciting to contemplate your next Camino to Vezelay. My first summer job in college was at the Hotel de la Poste et du Lion d’Or in Vezelay. Oh, what memories of a wonderful region of France, of great people, and, of course, of the Basilique Sainte Marie-Madeleine. Can’t wait to get to your blog and pics to see your adventures. I’m confident that you’ll find a lot of great information on this Forum. Bon Chemin!

12. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@wheelchair pilgrim welcome, I'll look up your blog later on today. Please keep posting here so we can watch your progress and achievements.

13. wheelchair pilgrim

Home Page:
    Thanks everyone for the great welcome.
    I hope to post here more soon.

14. Jacqui

Jacqui New Member

You are incredibly brave to undertake such a venture, not only once but over and over again. I cannot even begin to understand how difficult it must be when we consider there are so many obstacles along the way. You give me confidence to undertake my next Camino later this year - although I will be on a bike so tend to use the roads a lot more than the paths - no humping bikes over narrow rivers with two side bags for me! Already had a quick look at your website and now I'll have a proper look. Just wanted to say that I take my hat off to you because what you're doing is amazing.

15. wheelchair pilgrim

Home Page:
    Thank you.
    I also choose my roads carefully. Last year I tried the walking road for one day and than decided that it was not a good plan and the next day I followed my map and rolled on bike and car roads, but there was not a lot of traffic so it worked well.
    The steep hills/mountains (ardennes in Belgium and France) are the biggest challenge. When it is steep I lay my upper body almost on my lap to transport my weight to the front otherwise I fall backwards and when is tmore than 17% I have to roll backwards, otherwise I tip to the back. Specialy between Devon and Rocroi it was very hard, but I did it!
    And you can do it to by bike. When the roads of the official path are not the way you like it, just try an other road, take a good map with you and go for it.
    A nice thing in France is that cars keep a good distance when they see a wheelchair or bike on the road.

16. Jacqui

Jacqui New Member

I love cycling in France and I agree with you about cars giving us a lot of room. The roads are so much quieter than here in the UK. Good luck on your next section later this year. It must be brilliant planning then executing the routes. Will you reach then carry onto Santiago over the next few years?

17. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Hi Everyone , I havent been around the forum
    for a while and just wanted to say < Hi,

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Ginamarie like this.
  18. hindsfeet

Hi El Condor....welcome back!! hmmm....pondering another Camino are you? :D

19. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Hi @hindsfeet , Hahaha,, yes ! Thinking of Camino Portuges , I did Camino via Serrana and via de la plata last year , Now getting extrelly bad withdrawal symtoms of Caminotatis !

UnkleHammy, Ginamarie and hindsfeet like this.
  20. hindsfeet

Yes, I figured so......hmmm Caminotatis....all of the symptoms were there!! :D

El Condor 2014 and UnkleHammy like this.
  21. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

As some others have commented, this is a fabulous Forum, full of awesome information. I've been through various threads for several months and have now joined in too.
    I'm from Toronto. Planning my first Camino walk .... ticket booked Toronto- Paris for the 10th Sept; will spend 2 nights at SJPP and start my expedition on the 13th. See you when I see you folks!! Wish me luck

22. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Welcome aboard Odyssey- you won't need luck, just enjoy! Sept. should be a fantastic time to do the Camino, we did both CF and Portugal in Sept, and loved the weather and the hike.

Amy Brooks likes this.
  23. UnkleHammy

Have a great trip. Staying two nights in Saint Jean is excellent as that will help with her lag and a chance to buy anything you forgot, or that got *lost" on your flight. I assume that you have reservations for Saint Jean but do you have reservations at Orison or/and Rochaveles? If not they are recommended.

24. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Buen Camino!!!!!!

Canadian Wander likes this.
  25. Odyssey

Odyssey New Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have made reservations at both SJPP and Roncesvalles. I suppose anything else going forward, I will play by ear

UnkleHammy likes this.
  26. Bryan Morlock

Or, play by foot, leg, knee, hip, back, blister, sprain, strain, twist, fall, etc. that may happen along the way. Good luck on a successful journey.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  27. Kiwi

Kiwi Member

I have just returned from my second Camino (yesterday, still have jet-lag). I emailed Roncesvalles for a booking before I left. This was confirmed by return email. When I arrived at the desk in Roncesvalles and said I had a booking. I was asked "have you paid'. I said no and was told that meant that I did not have a booking. You must make payment at the time of the booking or it is not a firm booking even though you have a confirmation. It was no problem as there was plenty of room but if you arrived late thinking you had a booking and you did not, it might come as a bit of a shock. Make sure that you make payment at the time. I took it easy to Santiago and made it in 32 days, then three days to Muxia and one day to Fisterra. No blisters, no problems, had a great time. I was one of the first ten in line for my Compestella and enjoyed the free lunch.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  28. UnkleHammy

Spoken like a veteran!

29. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Hi Leslie
    Hope you can help clear this up. I’m currently on the Camino four days out from Santiago and there are rumours flying around that the cathedral is closed, can you confirm whether this is true or not.
    Many thanks
    Keith from Norfolk England

UnkleHammy likes this.
  30. Bryan Morlock

I just checked the Cathedral Website and do not see anything indicating it is closed. It states that it is open every day of the year. There is renovation taking place so maybe parts of it are closed.

UnkleHammy likes this.