1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Say Hello

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Leslie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. GalwayGirl

GalwayGirl Guest

Hi!
    I'm Elaine from Galway in Ireland and I'm arriving in SJPP on 15th June and planning to start walking on 16th. Have never done anything like this before so obviously a bit nervous - all the info on this forum is very helpful though so thanks to all involved!

What's the weather like there at the moment?!

2. Brad

Brad New Member

Help! A dear friend, recently retired AF Doctor, is walking various Caminos just now. she weighs all of 120 pounds and is doing up to 30 miles a day. She has lost two religious medals that are very dear to her as you will see below. Anyone with an idea how to best publicize her plight please respond. Thanks! " In A Fonsagrada I stayed in the pension Cantabrico and lost there--or somewhere on the road between there and Lugo ( yes Lugo, didnt stop in a cadavo--63 km and a long story) anyway I lost a black cord with a pewter shell but more importantly two gold religious medals--the Archangel Raphael and Archangel Samael-- I've worn them through five conflicts and I'm heartbroken."

3. stantshir@yahoo.co.uk

stantshir@yahoo.co.uk New Member

Hi all im Shirley I will be starting the Camino August 2013 hope to see some of you along the way, cant wait, my inspiration was also the film The Way and watched it every night for 3 weeks when I first bought the DVD, down to just once a week now
    Buen Caminox

4. cherylpatton

cherylpatton New Member

Dublin, Virginia & Rogersville, Tennessee
    I wish you a Buen Camino, Shirley! I am walking it this September/October but I also know that if you search "2013" here on the board, you'll discover folks that are already making their 2013 plans. :)

P. S. Love the movie, too! If you have not watched it using the Commentary, treat yourself. I normally don't, but there is a wealth of humor, laughter and great stories told by Martin Sheen and his son. It's as entertaining as the movie.

Cheryl

5. ornarywomn@msn.com

ornarywomn@msn.com New Member

I will be starting the Le Puy Route Starting Tuesday March 26th 2013. I am from the US. Is anyone else doing the Camino then?

6. stantshir@yahoo.co.uk

stantshir@yahoo.co.uk New Member

Thanks for that Cheryl have a Buen Camino yourself, let us know how it goes

7. Paddymclovin

Paddymclovin New Member

Hi all,

My name is Hugh and I have yet to decide to do my second Camino. Completed Camino Frances in 2011 found a new job but my contract will end in 2 weeks. If I do not get a job by the middle of July 2012 I will begin the Camino de Norte in August. For my first Camino I read every post and still carried to much weight, got plenty blisters. For 34 days got only 3 days of rain. This year I heard that it rained for the month of April so will still pack a rain coat for August. Two years ago I was angry with the world and God, today the anger has subsided I am grateful to God and the angles of the Camino both human and spiritual. I want to return to learn new lessons and continue my journey of self development along the way.:cool:

8. Paddymclovin

Paddymclovin New Member

It was not an accident that you stumbled across the movie 'The Way' as they say when the student is ready the teacher will appear.

Buen Camino

9. cedarhollow03

cedarhollow03 New Member

Hi there, my husband and I just decided that now was the time! He will be turning 60 in July and we both thought that we should do it before it is too late. We start from Seattle in less than 2 weeks (June 27) on to Madrid, Pamplona, Roncevalles, then St. Jean. Hwooo I am tired already :rolleyes: I have been looking at this forum for over a year and am so excited, scared, and much more that I can't explain! Hope to see you there!

Jamie & Doug

10. jorge4442

jorge4442 New Member

Hi Jamie & Doug, my wife Beck and I are from Seattle and leaving on Aug.28th. Would appreciate your insight, before, during and post.
    Like you we felt now not later. 2 weeks out must be exciting......George & Beck
    Jamie & Doug[/QUOTE]

11. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

Hi George & Beck - I'll be starting Aug 30 (departing Aug 27 annd spending a night in Madrid and Pamplona). I'm originally from Tacoma, WA but live outside Sacramento, CA. I am going solo so I hope to meet both of you -- in our journey. I'm just about ready -tried my backpack, been training, except now having some issues w/my toes so back to trying out shoes, again!

Lil

12. jorge4442

jorge4442 New Member

Hi Lil, sounds like we will be 1 day behind you in Madrid. Staying there 4 nights to see the sights before heading out to Leon, our starting point. We know about foot issues. Beck has had problems with stress fractures in her feet so didn't feel confident starting any farther from Santiago. We have changed our mind on shoes 3 times. I think we have it now. If all goes well we may do a reverse Portuguese from Santiago down to Porto. Becks first training hike with pack was 6 miles on Friday things went well with the new shoes and inserts. I've been training since the first of May on the hills North of Seattle. I'm familiar with the Sacto. area lived in Citrus Heights 78-82 and then briefly in Elk Grove in 2009. Hope we get a chance to meet along the Way.......George

Buen Camino

13. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

Got new pair of Lowa hiking boots from REI, will try to see if these shoes will work. I hope to reach Santiago on Oct 5, will head back to Madrid to meet my boyfriend Oct 7 and then we're going to Paris and Germany before we head back on Oct 17th. Been doing a lot of hiking/walking and did 2 half-marathons this year. I also lived in Citrus Heights and now am in Lincoln. My daughter lives in Renton and I have a lot of family both in Tacoma and Seattle. Am there quite often, the latest in May. Don't know if I'll meet up with you and your wife, but wishing you both Buen Camino and safe journey.

14. jorge4442

jorge4442 New Member

Thanks Lil, hope the lowa boots work for you. I love mine, so far so good. You just need to make sure they are the right size. I normally wear a 12 and my Lowa' are a 13. After Santiago Beck and I are off to Paris as well. We are leaving Oct. 4th and flying back to Seattle on the 9th. I think we are going to just miss each other by a day or two, but one never knows.
    Seems like we have been trekking about the same ground in the NW, CA and now Spain & France. Small world!
    Our best to you,......George

15. cedarhollow03

cedarhollow03 New Member

Hi George & Beck. I will try. My thoughts right now are that I am so excited I can't think straight. This is so out of our comfort zone. I am trying to finish my job (special ed secretary for a school district) by the 25th and still get things done to be gone for 6 weeks. For a more than a year I have read everything that I could get my hands on about the camino. I couldn't get my hubby to do the walks with the Puget Sound Region in Ballard though that looked fun to connect with others that had already did the camino. We are traveling as light as we can (15lbs) and I will miss my hairdryer ;-) Will keep you posted as we can. We have decided not to be "connected" too much during our walk. I did not want to commit to getting on a computer every night. We both are not in the best of shape though we do walk hills quite a bit. We shall see! Buen Camino!

16. jorge4442

jorge4442 New Member

Thanks Jamie, your thoughts and insights are helpful to us. We didn't know about a walking group in Ballard where one might connect with those that have done the Camino. What is that about and how do I connect with them? We have been doing our research as well, I liked the DVD The Way of Saint James which documents the journey along the route of several pilgrims. It illustrated the struggles as well as the topography. We also found, Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago by Cheri Powell, Dave Davis helpful. Two sites I use all the time are this forum and The Pilgrimage Road To Santiago de Compenstela, El Camino Santiago - The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago de Compostela - The Way of Saint James. both are great.
    Hairdryers!! Beck has been agonizing over the hair issue from the get go ( of course it has nothing to do with the fact I fried her expensive curling iron our first night in Bangkok this Jan,.and her hair has not been the same since:eek:). I think the solution will come down to head cover of some sort.
    I am trying to get the weight down to 12-15lbs and Beck 10-12. Not sure we will make it though. I have been training with 20-22 lbs just in case. I think we are in pretty good shape. Beck does 1/2 marathons, she just did the Peninsular one in Port Angels' and I'm doing the Seattle Rock & Roll this Sat.with my daughter-in -law. But we still have concerns about day after day distance with pack. Our mantra has become take it easy, enjoy each day, it is not a race. And while we are developing a stage plan, it is only a guide and not anything we need to stick to. Kind of an outline.
    I didn't mean to imply posts during your walk. We are not taking internet devices. Just ipods, cell and Kindles. Keeping them charged is an issue. I think I'm going with nPowerPeg, a new Kinetic device for powering personal devices. A bit pricy at $170 but also great for powering our speakers when camping. We are enjoying our preparations, it is indeed a significant part of the experience. Hoping Doug and you are doing the same. Buen Camino.....George

17. LolaLil

LolaLil New Member

George, go on the AmericanPilgrims.com; a wealth of information. I am a member and we have No California chapter and did a walk two Sundays ago with those who have done the walk and those who are going to do the walk, like me. You will like this site.

18. jorge4442

jorge4442 New Member

Thanks, Lil, Another terrific site I didn't know of. Our local chapter has all kinds of good things going on. Muchos gracias,.....George

19. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell New Member

Hello!
    My sister and I are walking in September - starting on 9 September from SJPdP. We can't do the whole route this time, so will walk part of the way, and then from Sarria to Santiago. We're so looking forward as she's coming from South Africa and we'll see each other again and enjoy this experience together and separate (if that makes sense).
    Thank you for an extremely helpful forum!!!
    Buen Camino!
    Iwalda

20. HillTrekker

HillTrekker New Member

Hi Pilgrims,
    I just joined the forum and have spent the last several hours reading. The plan is to begin the Camino at SJPP in early June 2013. I gather I'll be walking during the high heat of summer. I am a teacher, so summer is the time I have for travel. I'll be travelling with a friend, maybe 2 friends. We are just beginning our research. I am so very excited. Thanks to all who post and make this forum a reality. I look forward to this adventure.

21. RosieeH

RosieeH New Member

Hi Elaine!

Im Roisin from Dublin, and I think we'll be arriving on the same day :) I arrive on a Ryanair on the afternoon of the 15th, and like you hope to set off the following day! Im travelling alone, kinda nervous, but really excited too!

See ya on the Camino :)

22. Bill Jones

Bill Jones New Member

Hi HillTrekker!

I'm a teacher also. We (my wife and I) plan to hit the trail in mid-June 2013. This is a great site for info. Some quick searches will find a lot of answers for you quickly. Buen Camino!

23. Tmo

Tmo New Member

I too hope to finish the Way on my 40th birthday Oct 27th! I start the walk on Sep 25th.

I hope we get to meet!

24. JAMC

JAMC New Member

OH NO Dolly, have you changed your start date?

25. Dollmac

Dollmac Member

Julie did you look at the date of that post hahahaha That is way back when I took the "notion" to do it I am most definitely starting My camino on SEPT 1ST. tick tock tick tock counting down xxx

26. moctrams

moctrams Guest

Good day all,
    My name is Maclyn. I’m new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I am very happy with this site with all the helpful info regarding boots, backpacks, points of interest, etc. I am planning to fly out to San Sebastian in May of 2013 in celebration of my 70[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday and take the train/bus to SJPdP. I do a lot of sailing on the Chesapeake Bay and am very fit/active. I also work in a marina which requires a lot of walking. I am gradually working up to 17 miles a day with backpack and hiking boots. Looking forward to starting the walk and to meet new people and new sites.

27. JAMC

JAMC New Member

NOPE I didn't think to check that bit...lol!

28. GumbyDoll

GumbyDoll New Member

Hello all. My name is Deborah. I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I am planning my first Camino walk in May/June 2013. Already, I am excited. I am older (60i sh) and fairly petite, so keeping my pack under 10% of my body weight is going to be a challenge. Particularly because, so far, I am having trouble with the idea of leaving my camera (about 3 lbs) at home.

I have read quite a bit of the forum posts and have learned quite a bit, but realize there is a lot more to straighten out before I head out.

Just purchased my hiking boots and have started walking 1/2 an hour daily to break in my feet.

I have all the time I want to walk the Camino, my only problem is where my cats will live while I am away.

I have lots of little questions, like, what is a Technical shirt, and what do you sleep in (I didn't notice PJs on the packing lists), but other than that, I need to research more, harden my body for the physical effort and dream.

29. lhlyda

lhlyda New Member

Hello Everyone!

Leslie has fixed my problem not being able to post, Thanks!!!

My name is Larry H. Lyda, age 57 and retired nuclear worker. I plan on walking from SJPDP on sept. 1. my flight out of Madrid is on Oct 10. I wanted to allow myself plenty of time with no pressure on finishing. If I finish early, I will continue to explore Spain until my flight. I have been reading this forum for a while and I hope to meet some of you on the way.

Buen Camino

"Snake"

p.s. a long story how I got the name snake, but on the walk, I should have time to tell you, lol

30. kkelley

kkelley Member

Hey Larry. Looking forward to meeting you, too.

k